Instant Battery Recharge Trick/Exploit/Bug

Subspace_TopologySubspace_Topology Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222111Members
This is probably known and will be fixed for release but I'm being a diligent beta tester. :)

Constructing a floodlight requires battery, glass and titanium. Deconstructing it gives me these materials back. The battery that I get back has 100% charge.

If I start with a battery that is less than 100% charged, this allows me to instantly charge it to 100%. O_o

Comments

• CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @Subspace_Topology
    This probably belongs in the Bugs Section, instead of General Discussion.
  • Subspace_TopologySubspace_Topology Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222111Members
    Captagear wrote: »
    @Subspace_Topology
    This probably belongs in the Bugs Section, instead of General Discussion.

I'm not sure. This is not strictly a bug. I see it as a game mechanics problem.

Since it is not a bug (intended) to be able to craft with less than fully charged batteries, and not a bug (intended) to get back a 100% battery...from what I understand?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I guess it falls into the same category as crafting a 100% Power Cell from two depleted Batteries.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Charging a battery up to 100% with a battery charger drains far more power from your supply than simply fabricating a new battery with a full charge.

The smart thing for devs to do would be to:

1) Remove batteries from build requirements for tools. When you build the tool it has no battery in it. Go make one.

Next, either:

2) Make newly made batteries cost a LOT of energy to make - fabrication plus one full charge worth of power.

OR

3) Make newly made batteries have zero charge. Offset this by putting 2 or 3 charged batteries in lifepod survival trunk and a PDA warning not to drain them out before building a battery charger.

4) Move battery charger fragments to safe shallows to make up for it. Go stick the seaglide fragments into a wreck instead, since it's mostly useless anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see both options used - the former for Freedom mode and the latter used for Survival mode.

Also... whatever happened to those charging fins you used to be able to make? I haven't seen any fragments for those in months. Are they gone or did they just hide the fragments at the bottom of the world again?

• ArgonauticaArgonautica Join Date: 2016-09-07 Member: 222138Members
    edited September 2016
    hm

i like the system as it is.

how about this:

Construct = you need full Battery.
    Deconstruct = your Battery is empty now ?

but i need to say: i build a Scanner.
    Than the Scanner have a full Battery. Without a Scanner, i can't start.
    i do not have a Battery Charger, befoure i have a Scanner.
    and no one knows if everyone have always enugh Battery Power left in Scanner to find all Charger fragments.

if you do the Battery to expensive, you have much Problems at the Start.
    the Lifeboot Idea is not nice, to have only 3 Batterys: you need a "Schweißgerät" (dont know the english word for) to fix
    the Capsle.

than the Scanner
    at least you will have the Seething (den Seegleiter..)
    than you have last battery lost...

Time i start, i see that i have "Battery" inside, and have Panik to run out of power.
    Was my first idea to search a Battery Charger.
  • Subspace_TopologySubspace_Topology Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222111Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    I guess it falls into the same category as crafting a 100% Power Cell from two depleted Batteries.

This is worse since you start with a totally/partially empty battery and end with a full battery without using up anything.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    1) Remove batteries from build requirements for tools. When you build the tool it has no battery in it. Go make one.

Also... whatever happened to those charging fins you used to be able to make? I haven't seen any fragments for those in months. Are they gone or did they just hide the fragments at the bottom of the world again?

1) sounds like a great idea! Batteries should not be part of the recipe. Making you go make one is equivalent to having it in the recipe, without the exploit.

Right now the battery charger is not as useful since I can just construct/deconstruct floodlights or anything that uses batteries to instantly get 100% charge for free.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    You can also acquire infinite batteries by constructing the floodlight, taking the battery out, and then deconstructing the floodlight, giving you a net gain of 1 battery.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Don't tell them!! These exploits are infinitely useful!!!!!
    Tyderf wrote: »
    You can also acquire infinite batteries by constructing the floodlight, taking the battery out, and then deconstructing the floodlight, giving you a net gain of 1 battery.

ROFL. A fully charged battery to boot.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @DagothUr I don't remember there ever being fragments for the swim-charge fins - you just have to have a modification station to upgrade the basic fins at.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I think the simplest fix is to make the floodlight take %age from the battery you build it with, using the highest-charge battery. And deconstruction gives a 0% battery.

(At which point everyone will want more customization of which battery it chooses...)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Deconstruction shouldn't give a 0% battery, it should remove and give you the installed battery, or no battery if there isn't one installed. (Debatable whether you should then be able to reconstruct it without a battery -- probably simplest if you still have to have the battery and it's auto-inserted.)
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    Why did you have to spill the beans on that infinite battery exploit?!

Better stock up before its patched :tired_face:
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    I think the simplest fix is to make the floodlight take %age from the battery you build it with, using the highest-charge battery. And deconstruction gives a 0% battery.

(At which point everyone will want more customization of which battery it chooses...)

Even simpler is to not require a battery in the recipe, and make floodlights not come with batteries.

That way it is equivalent to the current recipe: you still have to use a battery to power it, but it fixes the exploit without changing the rules/mechanics of the game.