Save the Rock Puncher! 2.0

CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
Community,

I call upon the people of Subnautica to raise awareness for the beautiful rock punchers. These lovely grand creatures face the possibility of extinction!

All this majestic creature wanted to do was punch! :s Hopefully we can find a new place (game role) in this world of no terraforming! :D
Rock_Puncher_Concept_Art.jpg

If you want to suggest ideas on how this can be done, then head over to forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144806/!

Cheers Capta

EDIT: An older discussion on this topic can be found at forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140874/save-the-rock-puncher/p1 (#SaveTheRockPuncher or as @6ismus said, #SaveTheGiantCrabThingThatPunches) :)

EDIT: Apparently I missed an older thread where a Dev said the following:
Despite what the Trello board says, Rockpuncher is not on the chopping block because of the removal of the Terraformer. It's because we only have so much time to devote to new creatures, and that guy is a pretty complicated one to design and program. I'm sure he'll make it into the game at some point, even without the terraforming ability, if not for 1.0 then hopefully for a post release update.
I really hope they are still considering this! :)

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    edited September 2016
    Oh, thanks! Thank you for taking time to make this wonderful banner to help raise awareness about the poor Rock Puncher! :)
    Edit: You should definitely suggest this to @Obraxis. This may just be enough to turn the tides on the Rock Puncher.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    Does anyone really know how big the Rock Puncher would be? Like if it's a small crab punching out sandstone outcrops or a reefback-sized giant smashing away at our bases? It would make an awesome (and pretty much only) threat to base location.

Imagine the Exosuit and Rock Puncher brawls...

(also, the detail on it's model gives the impression it would be giant but I'm still curious)
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    It going to be so cool. :)
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    FryerDevil wrote: »
    Does anyone really know how big the Rock Puncher would be? Like if it's a small crab punching out sandstone outcrops or a reefback-sized giant smashing away at our bases? It would make an awesome (and pretty much only) threat to base location.

Imagine the Exosuit and Rock Puncher brawls...
    @FryerDevil
    rock-puncher-02-size.jpg

Will someone please think of the glass domes!!!!!
    edited September 2016
    Posted by Obraxis:
    "Not at all. The model is done, animations are done. But it would take a lot of programming time to get him working properly and give satisfactory gameplay."

Just incase people are wondering about its Dev stage. :D

@sabin77 glass domes?
    Captagear wrote: »
    Posted by Obraxis:
    "Not at all. The model is done, animations are done. But it would take a lot of programming time to get him working properly and give satisfactory gameplay."

Just incase people are wondering about its Dev stage. :D

@sabin77 glass domes?

go to the topic GLASS ROOF
    @sabin77 I am confused. I don't see the connection haha
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I can't help but see the connection to those WWF posters you sometimes see.
    35-affiches-publicitaires-creatives-de-wwf-qui-vous-donneront-envie-de-vous-battre-pour-la-survie-de-la-planete21.jpg

But anyway... I agree, the rock puncher is too cool-looking to just have the idea thrown away. We just have to come up with something else it can do instead of punching rocks without changing its design.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I agree! These majestic animals deserve their place in the game, and in our hearts!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    To limit dev work required, why not place them only in the heat vents or lava pools and just make them stationary (perhaps with a few arm movements or something) and invincible. Future updates could extend their mobility and usefulness.

(Yes I know they were originally supposed to be found in tunnels and be aggressive to the player, but this would be better than nothing).
  • TheSmithOnUWTheSmithOnUW Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216141Members
    Wouldn't it make sense to just have the Rock Punchers punch those large resource deposits that the PRAWN suit drills through? That way, if you didn't yet have the PRAWN suit, you could follow a Rock Puncher in the Grassy Plateaus, Dunes, etc, and it would eventually break open a resource block so you could harvest materials.

Good idea!
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Spawn in boring rocks, and have them smash them and chew on them for minerals. (Minerals to grow a slightly larger shell and punch slightly larger rocks!)

And they get confused and punch around Aurora debris and Seamoths/Prawns. But leave players alone, to eat plants and dead things.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Community,

I call upon the people of Subnautica to raise awareness for the beautiful rock punchers. These lovely grand creatures face the possibility of extinction!

All this majestic creature wanted to do was punch! :s Hopefully we can find a new place (game role) in this world of no terraforming! :D
    Rock_Puncher_Concept_Art.jpg

If you want to suggest ideas on how this can be done, then head over to forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144806/!

Cheers Capta

EDIT: An older discussion on this topic can be found at forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140874/save-the-rock-puncher/p1 (#SaveTheRockPuncher or as @6ismus said, #SaveTheGiantCrabThingThatPunches) :)

Oh wait, I know. Have them be huge and wander around Dunes, punching Reaper Leviathans!
    @sabin77 I am confused. I don't see the connection haha

It something not in the game and it not clear if it going to be in the game or not, that the connection.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I think they might add it in the lilypad islands. those hanging rocks look ripe for punching!!
  • Depth46Depth46 Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222167Members
    Oh wow that looks cool! Hope they keep it!
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    edited September 2016
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Spawn in boring rocks, and have them smash them and chew on them for minerals. (Minerals to grow a slightly larger shell and punch slightly larger rocks!)

And they get confused and punch around Aurora debris and Seamoths/Prawns. But leave players alone, to eat plants and dead things.

The more he can punch the better haha, but honesty even if he just does circles around a particular area it would be better than removing.
    I can't help but see the connection to those WWF posters you sometimes see.
    35-affiches-publicitaires-creatives-de-wwf-qui-vous-donneront-envie-de-vous-battre-pour-la-survie-de-la-planete21.jpg

But anyway... I agree, the rock puncher is too cool-looking to just have the idea thrown away. We just have to come up with something else it can do instead of punching rocks without changing its design.

Hahaha that's exactly what I was going for! :p
    I think they might add it in the lilypad islands. those hanging rocks look ripe for punching!!

Haha, the imagery of this!

@DagothUr Yeah, cute buggers. Destroying clams!

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I don't really kow why, but I have a strong feeling that they should be in the future Twisty Bridges biome.

CoralReefZone_9_TwistyBridges_LowRes.jpg

Idk, I just really like the idea of the light blue barnacles contrasting with its bright orange exoskeleton.
    I don't really kow why, but I have a strong feeling that they should be in the future Twisty Bridges biome.
    Idk, I just really like the idea of the light blue barnacles contrasting with its bright orange exoskeleton.

@Darwin-Evolution I can agree with the colour design there, but there seems to be no roaming room judging by the Dev pics.
    Twist_bridges_1.jpg

it in development
    sabin77 wrote: »

it in development

Yeah it is atm :)
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Wouldn't it make sense to just have the Rock Punchers punch those large resource deposits that the PRAWN suit drills through? That way, if you didn't yet have the PRAWN suit, you could follow a Rock Puncher in the Grassy Plateaus, Dunes, etc, and it would eventually break open a resource block so you could harvest materials.

You can already do that with sea treaders. They create resource rocks with every foot step. Just follow them around in your seamoth until full.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

The dunes? Only when I've got a Cyclops, otherwise Bugger that for a Joke.
  • honzikcahonzikca Tábor Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219795Members
    How about there would be even a bigger type of resource,that only rock puncher could... punch so it would give you materials? Maybe some taming like you have it with stalker,you give him a peeper and gives you a piece of metal,why couldn't rock puncher work like this?
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    I made a post on this with fully fleshed out ideas on how to give him a new purpose a while ago, if you're interested: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143630/a-new-purpose-to-save-the-rock-puncher#latest

Also read the Dev post on it, that may also play a crucial role in this discussion.
    @HYBRID1313
    Thank you for sharing this, I don't know how we missed this! :)

Everyone seems to want him to punch the Exo suit deposits however, I like your take with the grubs :P
    He would have to either;
    1. Not destroy the deposits and only show particle effects
    2. or destroy something that is re-spawnable (i.e. lava)
    Otherwise, I could imagine the biome they live in becoming a wasteland of minerals over a long playthrough. If the terrain is to be stripped of resources I think it's a better design choice to allow the player to do the stripping.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    @HYBRID1313
    Thank you for sharing this, I don't know how we missed this! :)

Everyone seems to want him to punch the Exo suit deposits however, I like your take with the grubs :P
    He would have to either;
    1. Not destroy the deposits and only show particle effects
    2. or destroy something that is re-spawnable (i.e. lava)
    Otherwise, I could imagine the biome they live in becoming a wasteland of minerals over a long playthrough. If the terrain is to be stripped of resources I think it's a better design choice to allow the player to do the stripping.

No worries.

Also, you raise some very good points, this creature is a bit of a tough one haha :)