more to building stuff

stateofpsychosisstateofpsychosis Canada Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222112Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Have any of you ever played a point and click game? Like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Return to Mysterious Island, etc.

You know how you have objects in your inventory, use them to progress through the story, use them on each other to create new objects, etc. Some are more in depth than others too. Like if you needed to build a sextant or something, you wouldn't just drag the pieces on each other or fill a checklist of materials, you'd actually build it piece by piece. I remember building a compass in monkey island out of a cup of water or something, a magnet, a needle, and a cork if I remember correctly. I would like to see a game like this one really buckle down hard on making an inventory and crafting system that's as detailed as some of those games. This is one of these situations where I think genres could learn from each other :)

Probably too late to incorporate such a concept into Subnautica, but certainly worth pondering over for these types of games.

Comments

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    those games are hard, the crafting was ridiculously nit picky and too vague. it may see weird to say, but the simplification and clear telling is the better way for a puzzle game to work
  • stateofpsychosisstateofpsychosis Canada Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222112Members
    edited September 2016
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Pretty well every puzzle gamer would disagree with that, because figuring that stuff out is what makes the game fun to begin with. It wouldn't even be a genre without that aspect of them. That's what made them interesting. The fact that you actually had to meddle around and figure out on your own what worked with what instead of just getting a list. You also have to keep in mind that I'm talking about a vast genre with many different types of inventory interfaces and the one I have in mind for these types of games we're playing here is much more advanced giving the ability to disassemble objects after building them for example.
    any good puzzle game should have the degree of understanding. some games did not have this, and as a result few people got it *cough* babblefish *cough*
  • stateofpsychosisstateofpsychosis Canada Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222112Members
    not true at all. Myst for example is the top selling puzzle game ever made and it is just about the most directionless game I've ever tried ;)
    Those puzzlers are actually not the ones I'm talking about though. Those are a specific sub-genre of adventure games. I'm talking about the more traditional point and click inventory system but a more advanced version like in Return to Mysterious Island.
    edited September 2016
    All I'm saying is that elements from that genre's inventory system would blend well with this one's not completely switching over to their inventory style.
    edited September 2016
    Eureka! You could incorporate elements of the genre's inventory system with what's already there in Subnautica. The button you use to put new batteries in your tools could also be used for using objects on each other. Putting the parts together for a harpoon for example rather than just gathering materials and printing it from a list. Maybe printing some of the parts before you build it though. It'd be good if there was some stuff that was more hands on like that. Like a mix and this is a way that it could actually work in the existing game system. When you were finished the harpoon gun, you could then just use the same button to reload the harpoon in that example :)
    edited September 2016
    I hate to burst your bubble. But the simplified crafting and inventory is what makes subnautica fun. Every blueprint is clear on what and how much you need. If you check your pda or fabricator, you can see what base materials into what. I know what I need. How much I need, but I need to know where to get it, and how long it takes.
    Well to each their own i guess. I get bored of this type of simplified inventory system extremely fast. Some people enjoy a little bit of intellectual challenge instead of just pure grinding. I figured maybe it would be good to appeal a little to both types of people. After all, the best rpgs all do this wether it's by adding puzzles or leaving you to figure out some things on your own to keep you engaged.
    I want my subnautica game to be zen-like, the ocean is vast, and you are there to be. a challenge for me, is where do i want to gather supplies. also, some of us aren't geniuses. I am an artist, I rarely enjoy complex puzzles, unless its been building up over time. If I have to back track for something, I want it to be a matter of returning to an area to reclaim, not a kick in the nads asking why are you so stupid. A true puzzle game should be open to all, but have a degree of challenge. Subnautica is not a puzzle game; it is a survival game, and the simple inventory and crafting doesn't add too much unnecessary complexity to the game. Monkey Island is not an easy game to the casual audience, and it can be quiet frustrating. I dont know why you want such mechanics to this game, but this isnt the 90s anymore, so stop being nostalgic to a questionable time of puzzle games either blatantly telling you, or never explaining everything. Seek challenge, but not hyper tuning to the point of driving away people because they get frustrated.
    I'm not talking about myst style puzzles or anything that challenging. Just having to figure out some stuff without blueprints. Maybe just a few extras. A good way to stick some secrets in there.
    And point and click style games are more popular now than ever. A new one comes out every week. Don't shit on something just because you don't get it.
    edited September 2016
    They're really popular right now actually even having games in VR already. Don't be arrogant now. You don't have to agree with my suggestion but cut it out. People like different styles. You are not the decider of what is good or bad. You are just one person with one type of taste and I have another type. That is okay and you don't need to bash things that a lot of other people like just because you're not a fan personally... and no Monkey Island is not even a little bit hard. That's one of the easier ones.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Right, I am an adventure game enthusiast who enjoys nearly everything the genre has to offer (just not VNs, exploration games, and post-2010 interactive movies). I cannot say I am charmed by the lack of knowledge regarding the genre confidently displayed in this topic either, but I also cannot say adventure inventory mechanics would be a smart move for Subnautica for narrative reasons.

The protagonist is a fairly anonymous entity whose job aboard the Aurora we don't know (I've heard engineer from fans, but I wouldn't know a firsthand source for that other than that most of the crew were engineers). The protagonist does not have a skillset to make anything on their own; everything they make is actually the product of the fabricator or a similar device (backed up by the scanner). This is, among others, a crucial part in the weapon debate too - no, our protagonist isn't skilled enough to make anything on their own and therefore if the fabricator doesn't offer weapons, there cannot be weapons. So, even something simple does not make sense for the protagonist to make. They aren't Guybrush or Morgane who don't have technology to make their life easier if also more dependent.
    edited September 2016
    Drowned, I'm actually only suggesting this for a few extras like if you collected the parts for something and built it yourself rather than use the fabricator in every single instance. Just to keep it interesting. It would slow the game play down and give you something more to do in the game. Something new with rare parts you really have to work to get too.
    and even if it was just one or two extras, you'd still get the blueprint after figuring it out the first time. The idea is to just add something more not remove the existing system for crafting.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    @stateofpsychosis
    Hey man, try and not double post (or quadruple like earlier) so much. It can be frowned upon in some forums. If you wanna add something, do this for example.

EDIT: More content :)
    did I double post? I'm only seeing this one post about this in the ideas and suggestions forum. Not sure what I did wrong there ;)
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @stateofpsychosis No I mean your comments within this post, sorry I did not clarify
    okay, sorry about that. Will do.
    I don't like point and click adventures because they are over saturated in the current form, and they are quiet redundant currently. I grew up on the humongous entertainment point and click adventure games. I like those games.
    edited September 2016
    we all have different tastes dude. To each their own. They're very popular right now though so that's just your opinion. There are also lots of point and click games coming out that try to do something different. Unfortunately most of them profoundly suck. Walking simulators. Be careful what you wish for. Traditional point and click/puzzle adventures will always have a market. I would probably go into a deep depression if anyone managed to ever kill the genre off again like they did in the late 90's/early 2000's because of haters bashing them and all that. That'll never happen again if I have anything to say about it. It seems fans of turn based RPG's are the ones suffering now :( very few of those coming out these days. No one should ever have their favorite genre killed on them. It's always bullshit. There are always lots of fans of the genre left when developers get the idea that they aren't worth making anymore. Right now, fans of AAA turn based RPG's are just replaying all of the gems from the psx/snes era wishing that their genre would come back well other than just low quality rpg maker games on steam.
    its really the overflow of them, and you aren't the target demographic for a lot of puzzle games... middle aged house wives are the big target actually... the more you know
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    I have to agree with Sig here, adding any harder form of crafting is pointless. It only applies on your first playthough, and after that it becomes, "Oh, now I have to get out of my fabricator menu and open my inventory to combine this." I wager it'd be annoying and redundant in an open world game like this. I get you like the genre, but if you want to talk about point and click games, find a forum made for that. Now don't get me wrong, P&C is one of my favorite genres, but the only thing I see coming out of this is a bunch of google auto-completes asking how to get items that you have to combine in the inventory from first time players. There's no need to add layers to a simple, efficient system.
    Well, hate to say it guys, but I'm already bored of the game because of the simple inventory system and moved on so it's not pleasing everyone. All I suggested was a mix. Maybe a couple of extras. Not doing anything to get rid of what's already there that you both like. Just something I have to collect parts for and build manually to keep me interested. Right now, I've lost interest. Just automatically printing things from blueprints is not appeal to folks like me anyways.
    Well, hate to say it guys, but I'm already bored of the game because of the simple inventory system and moved on so it's not pleasing everyone. All I suggested was a mix. Maybe a couple of extras. Not doing anything to get rid of what's already there that you both like. Just something I have to collect parts for and build manually to keep me interested. Right now, I've lost interest. Just automatically printing things from blueprints is not appeal to folks like me anyways.

dude, if you got bored that easily; then you didnt enjoy the game enough to find easter eggs an other details. i am the explorer, seeking out things.

also, its fun to try my hand at hardcore and see how long i can survive.