It's like fighting Cpt.Jack Harkness

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
So a while ago I found myself being bothered by a particularly annoying Crabsquid. Luckily I had a shock grid on my Seamoth and a moonpool nearby for fast charging, so after I shocked him the first time to scare him off I chased him down and kept shocking him until my batteries were nearly dead and he most certainly was. Then I went out and stabbed the little turd a few times just because.

Satisfied, I watched the offending Crabsquid flip over and begin floating upward. Out of curiosity I followed the body (after a quick charge in the moonpool) just to see how far it would float up. Would it just despawn? Would it eventually reach the surface? Or would it get caught on some piece of rock ceiling and stay there forever?

Turns out it was none of these things, because after a few minutes of observation the "dead" Crabsquid suddenly flipped itself upright and began attacking my Seamoth again. :|

Apparently fauna death is just a temporary condition, easily shaken off the moment they think you're not watching.

I am very disappointed. There are people out there in exosuits getting into epic battles with Reapers on the false hope of actually making that area safe to travel in for the rest of the game. It's hard enough to kill all these hate-filled monsters and now I find out that the accomplishment of actually beating a predator means literally nothing.

:(

Comments

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Could be because most of the damage was shock damage. Maybe once it was unconscious from that it didn't register knife damage any more?
  • vielviel Russia Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 217973Members
    That's it and that's right. Fauna works like 'gating system' and not like 'loot system' making grindstyle walkthrough impossible.
    Equal mechanics may look like death and instant respawn, but it contradicts with Obraxis' opinion obviously.
    Everything is fine until creature attacks on bases are not implemented, so don't be a jerk, don't oppress cute crabsquids. It's a waste of time besides.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Unleash some Bleeders and they'll eat the body. At least they happily munch on Biters and other Bleeders I kill.

It's actually a good way to lure them out. Useful tactic in the reactor area. Might even work with a dead Peeper or other fish you can pick up. Haven't tried that yet.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Oh. I made loads of species fight each other a while ago to see who would win. Turns out they're all just super fish who get back up right after they die? Now I know why I was sitting there for hours watching Sea Dragons kill everything :/
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    They're like weeping angels- Blink and BAM! They're alive again.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Maybe grow some Ampeels in Crabsquid territory? When the Crabsquid get their EMP you wish they had all been killed by Ampeels. I mean, right now I just drill the hell out of them, but that won't work more anytime soon.

Hmm, thinking of it, it might be far cheaper to grow some Biters there in the long run.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Unleash some Bleeders and they'll eat the body.

I've never tried capturing Bleeders before. Was unaware that was even possible.

DagothUr wrote: »
    Unleash some Bleeders and they'll eat the body.

I've never tried capturing Bleeders before. Was unaware that was even possible.
    Well, theoretically. If you catch one with a Propulsion Cannon in the Kelp Forest and drag it down to the Blood Kelp.

Hmm. Shuttlebugs are classified under scavengers, though I have not seen them target dead animals yet. Considering there's and egg for them, it may be interesting way to deal with carcasses if you could breed Shuttlebugs and release them to take care of it. Might even make it gameplay relevant, making Bleeders spawn around the carcass, the more, the bigger, if you don't take care of it yourself.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    shuttle bugs don't do that for me I killed one near my bae and now the body is just super annoying
    ech0gh0st wrote: »
    shuttle bugs don't do that for me I killed one near my bae and now the body is just super annoying
    Yeah, I don't think Shuttlebugs have much of an AI (yet). Sometimes they just float around on the spot and go in circles.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Yeah, I don't think Shuttlebugs have much of an AI (yet). Sometimes they just float around on the spot and go in circles.

The make pretty sounds, though.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Now this is why when I see predator eggs while in the more dangerous areas I take my knife to it...
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Maybe grow some Ampeels in Crabsquid territory?

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...

• orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members

Given that the ones in the Sparse Reef seem compelled to deliberately swim through my drill bit while I'm standing still mining a node, yeah, their AI is a little weak. Something with an eye that large shouldn't get that curious about the inside of an underwater woodchipper...
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Now this is why when I see predator eggs while in the more dangerous areas I take my knife to it...

You can destroy eggs in the wild? AFAIK eggs hatching in the wild is just a rumor, but it would explain some (but not all) of the grossly excessive shark spawning in some spots.
    viel wrote: »
    That's it and that's right. Fauna works like 'gating system' and not like 'loot system' making grindstyle walkthrough impossible.
    Equal mechanics may look like death and instant respawn, but it contradicts with Obraxis' opinion obviously.
    Everything is fine until creature attacks on bases are not implemented, so don't be a jerk, don't oppress cute crabsquids. It's a waste of time besides.

It's not a waste of time when I have to kill an entire family of 3 or 4 Sandsharks virtually every time I reload just to keep my Safe Shallows base (and not near the border, mind you) remotely clear of predators. I don't enjoy killing critters with the exosuit (feels like an exploit after so long not being able to kill hardly anything), but MAN is it finally nice to be able to make something LEAVE YOU THE HECK ALONE. I really wish they'd fix leashing so that predators wouldn't be quite so persistent.