Prawn update once again nearly unplayable early game

Comments

• orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    Oh, and since some people have gotten the wrong idea, the original save I was complaining about was a FRESH game, brand new to the Prawn Update, not a converted save. I don't try to convert my saves. I have no idea why it was so unbelievably full of Sandsharks or why they acted even more aggressively than "normal" (not that I'm a great fan of the "normal" level of aggression, but it is not game-breaking like that was, even if it is frustrating).
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    I started a new game to see how things are with the update. And aside from a few minor bugs like waves enter the life pod both and after the starting cinematic or some fragments on the surface of the water. Nothing seems difficult to do, and i'm playing on hardcore so I have to avoid death.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I must be doing it wrong, because I find this game to be supremely easy.

ppe21kwsq06h.png
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I must be doing it wrong, because I find this game to be supremely easy.

ppe21kwsq06h.png

Or he could be playing creative mode ... :D

On the other side he might just had the luck to get the fins, rebreather and seaglide very early. And once you have the UG fins and Plasteel tank you can swim through swarms of sharks untouched.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    Small example:

I find Dark Souls 3 an easy game. I can kill most of the bosses on the first try. Dark Souls should be much harder, and noobs who are struggling with the game should git gud.

Do you find this logic valid?

Hell no its not!
    Dark Souls is easy for me because I've completed it 3 times, memorized every move of every enemy and every level, and spent plenty of hours on wiki.

Same is true for Subnautica: it might seems easy for people who've played it countless times, but for the rest of us (aka 99.99% of players) this is not the case. You are an anomaly, and balancing game around you would be disastrous.
    Right now game needs a round of re-balancing and bug fixing.

PS. Another example: many Starcraft2 players are upset that he game is balanced around pro-gamers, who are an anomaly that invest ~12 hours per day into the game per several years. With SC2 it is at least understandable since the game is played at tournaments - it is oriented on pro-gamers by design. But still Blizzard is making a huge re-balance in order to simplify the game (make it little bit less micro-dependent).
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Same is true for Subnautica: it might seems easy for people who've played it countless times, but for the rest of us (aka 99.99% of players) this is not the case. Right now game needs a round of re-balancing and bug fixing. You are an anomaly, and balancing game around you would be disastrous.

This is why the suggestion for custom difficulty options that's been floating around would be such a good idea imo. Obviously it's unfair to ramp up difficulty because of newer players, but including options to add challenge or difficulty would be beneficial for the longevity of the game as it gives more hardcore/experienced players something fun to toy around with.

But yeah, I think the game balance should be tuned from the perspective of new players, overall.

And no, I don't really consider 'hardcore' a difficulty adjustment. It doesn't make any aspect of the game harder really, it just adds a permanent failure state to your save file.

• Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    This is why the suggestion for custom difficulty options that's been floating around would be such a good idea imo. Obviously it's unfair to ramp up difficulty because of newer players, but including options to add challenge or difficulty would be beneficial for the longevity of the game as it gives more hardcore/experienced players something fun to toy around with.
    new X-COMs have "second wave" options - dozen or so gamplay modifications that you can turn on after your first play through. They make game harder (e.g. flanking gives 100% crit chance instead of 50%, soldiers starter stats are randomized and so on).

It also have 4 difficulty levels that have HUGE difference.

In Subnautica they just suggest turning off gameplay mechanics (like hunger) instead of simply scaling it.
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    Yeah I own X-COM. It's second wave options are a good analogy to what was suggested in the other thread. Box-tickable options which tweak elements of gameplay. Alternatively some of the options could be sliders instead for things like player/NPC damage.. etc etc.

I'd like to see it, but I could also understand it being implemented after v1.0 and not before.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I like to build my base near the South-West tip of the Kelp Forest. One benefit is that that part of the Kelp Forest holds one single mesmer, which is excellent for when I want the PDA entry. Always was one single mesmer. Fresh save file after the PRAWN update, there's two. Their behavior also seems a bit different. It used to be hit and run coupled with staying at a safe distance while doing its wing thing, as if it was luring me. Now, the mesmers barely keep a distance from me. It actually made them easier to scan, but a lot less fun.

In general, I get the impression that everything has doubled in my new save, resources and NPCs alike. I have not been bothered by this (the two sand sharks in the Safe Shallows seem to be tied to that odd "ghost wreck", which is fair and predictable) but for one creature. Bleeders. Used to be I got bit twice or thrice in a save file. This time, they've been responsible for some 80% of all my near-deaths. To a point this might be due to the removal of silver from the GP (I am not pleased with this at all), forcing me into the KF more often thus putting me in harm's way more (keeping in mind that I can survive a stalker by getting into the Seamoth, while doing that with a bleeder on you is a Certified Bad Idea). But I do believe there's now more of them and they're more aggressive. I've never spotted one coming at me before, but I have many times this save file.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Yes, bleeders are more aggressive and more AI behavior. Thankfully, once you spot them, they're easy to kill with the knife. And then every other Bleeder in the immediate area will flock to the dead one to eat it. I like the change. Makes their noises a sign of danger instead of weird background noise.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Same is true for Subnautica: it might seems easy for people who've played it countless times, but for the rest of us (aka 99.99% of players) this is not the case. You are an anomaly, and balancing game around you would be disastrous.

There again with the made up statistics ...... You can make them up and make 'em say whatever you want, 76,345325 % of everyone knows that!
    I think generally the early access players of all kind are more stress, challenge and learning tolerant than ordinary full release version players that will cry far more often as being mainly casual players. Any dev is therefore advised to listen to noobs at early access times, because they represent the average casual player far better than all experienced die hard tolerant and much learning fans.

So while no one has percentages the truth is that we veterans simply can't represent the player majority for release time and big sales numbers. I usually swim around with 75s of air even through long twisted underwater mazes without fear, never get seriously wounded anymore even when diving through predator swarms and never loose my orientation anymore. I also wish the game would be deadlier and the leviathans would roam the free ocean. But it was much different at the first times as I still remember.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    You say that as if it was possible for people to be somehow born with innate knowledge of how to beat this game...

As I keep pointing out whenever I add my voice to this discussion, there was a point for every single one of us here (that's full 100 % of the players!) when we entered the game for the first very time and got instantly lost in the vastness of the ocean. And yet, somehow, here we are today - players who took their time and effort to discover everything that was possible to discover at a given stage of SN's development, players who enjoyed overcoming obstacles and learning to survive instead of coming to the forums and demand simplifications, players now proficient at this game who are gladly sharing our experiences with the newcomers.

TL;DR, to make my point easier to come across: we were ALL first timers once, we did not require dumbing the game down to progress and we enjoyed beating it. WE are the norm, YOU are an anomaly.

DrownedOut wrote: »
    In general, I get the impression that everything has doubled in my new save, resources and NPCs alike. I have not been bothered by this (the two sand sharks in the Safe Shallows seem to be tied to that odd "ghost wreck", which is fair and predictable) but for one creature. Bleeders. Used to be I got bit twice or thrice in a save file. This time, they've been responsible for some 80% of all my near-deaths. To a point this might be due to the removal of silver from the GP (I am not pleased with this at all), forcing me into the KF more often thus putting me in harm's way more (keeping in mind that I can survive a stalker by getting into the Seamoth, while doing that with a bleeder on you is a Certified Bad Idea). But I do believe there's now more of them and they're more aggressive. I've never spotted one coming at me before, but I have many times this save file.

Unfortunately, I think if you keep playing that save you will notice what I've been seeing. It's not just a doubling of creatures. Some part of the predator respawning feature put in a few updates ago is activating whether the original creatures have died or despawned or not. I bet if you reload your game a few times, you'll notice there are even more new mesmers in your special spot.

What honestly prompted this thread was a save where this got so bad, so quickly with respect to Sandsharks that I literally could not continue past Day 5 or so. Getting anywhere near render distance of the Grassy Plateau was a death sentence, due to absolutely overwhelming numbers of Sandsharks. That singleton everybody keeps finding so annoying in the Shallows had multiplied to a dozen or more, and I just couldn't keep going.

Fortunately, while I am still seeing it (especially that jerk in the shallows breeding a family; maybe player proximity has something to do with it, since he seems to be the most likely critter to "dupe" in the whole ocean) in new saves, it's nowhere near as bad or as fast. But it does seem to be disproportionately affecting Sandsharks. It's not like I see kelp forests overflowing with Stalkers. Their population is on the healthy side, but not swarming like the Sandsharks are. At least in my current save they are only swarming a bit, not everywhere at once.

See if you notice any pairs or triplets of creatures that mimic each others' movements very closely, as if they're doing synchronized swimming or what have you. I keep seeing that here and there and it makes me think there's unintentional spawning going on.
    orobouros wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think if you keep playing that save you will notice what I've been seeing. It's not just a doubling of creatures. Some part of the predator respawning feature put in a few updates ago is activating whether the original creatures have died or despawned or not. I bet if you reload your game a few times, you'll notice there are even more new mesmers in your special spot.

What honestly prompted this thread was a save where this got so bad, so quickly with respect to Sandsharks that I literally could not continue past Day 5 or so. Getting anywhere near render distance of the Grassy Plateau was a death sentence, due to absolutely overwhelming numbers of Sandsharks. That singleton everybody keeps finding so annoying in the Shallows had multiplied to a dozen or more, and I just couldn't keep going.

Fortunately, while I am still seeing it (especially that jerk in the shallows breeding a family; maybe player proximity has something to do with it, since he seems to be the most likely critter to "dupe" in the whole ocean) in new saves, it's nowhere near as bad or as fast. But it does seem to be disproportionately affecting Sandsharks. It's not like I see kelp forests overflowing with Stalkers. Their population is on the healthy side, but not swarming like the Sandsharks are. At least in my current save they are only swarming a bit, not everywhere at once.

See if you notice any pairs or triplets of creatures that mimic each others' movements very closely, as if they're doing synchronized swimming or what have you. I keep seeing that here and there and it makes me think there's unintentional spawning going on.

Well, there is one other creature that bothered me but I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. I went into the Jelly Shroom Caves to find the abandoned base and on my way I came across one crabsnake in a shroom and another just past (so to the East) that stood as if it was in a mushroom but there was no mushroom there or anywhere nearby. Because my first try for the abandoned base my PC died on me and my second time the crabsnake at the base pulled me through the base, causing me to get stuck in its walls, I've had some chances to play with it. The creature is def bugged. It cannot be scanned and barely responds to me, although one time I did manage to get it to leave its imaginary shroom. It went for the other crabsnake's shroom but froze when it touched the pink cap and I couldn't get it to move after that. Another time I couldn't get it to respond at all but when I returned it was standing diagonally instead of vertically. I got the feeling a spawn doubled there and got bugged due to lack of nearby shrooms.

And speaking of that, maybe this thing is related to my experiences with the PRAWN suit? That thing where PRAWN suits and claw arms in wrecks keep respawning while other arm types spawn multiple copies in the exact same spot?

While I don't know if it actually got implemented, I do know the devs meant for eggs to hatch in the wild too as long as the player is nearby for a considerable time. Could that possibly be tied to your sand shark problem (in which case checking the mesmers would be pointless because they don't have eggs yet)? My own save is currently some 28 hours and I think I'll end up going to about 40 hours with it. I have not noticed creature doubling in-game, although two stalkers did move into the Safe Shallows as my neighbors .
  • ReichiReichi Austria Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210893Members
    It was super annoying for me that I had all the material for the seamoth but couldnt find the mobile vehicle bay fragments. Then I found out the radio is not useless anymore, so it was kind of my fault too. I think it is good that you have to rely more on the seaglide at the beginning, although it needs lots of energy. The only thing I am still missing is an ingame, interactive map.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    If you get some flippers even just some basic ones you can out maneuver Stalkers, Sandsharks, Bonesharks, and Crashes. All you have to do is swim around them in an orb pattern.

While I don't know if it actually got implemented, I do know the devs meant for eggs to hatch in the wild too as long as the player is nearby for a considerable time. Could that possibly be tied to your sand shark problem (in which case checking the mesmers would be pointless because they don't have eggs yet)? My own save is currently some 28 hours and I think I'll end up going to about 40 hours with it. I have not noticed creature doubling in-game, although two stalkers did move into the Safe Shallows as my neighbors .

Okay, NOW you're scaring me. That's just horrendous. Wild eggs shouldn't hatch unless something kills off or despawns the original critters. The populations are already way beyond far too high!

That said, it was my understanding that the eggs themselves spawn due to player proximity - that is, they aren't laid by the critters themselves. So that shouldn't produce Sandshark eggs in the Safe Shallows, since they're biome-specific. Or they ought to be, anyway...
    Tyderf wrote: »
    If you get some flippers even just some basic ones you can out maneuver Stalkers, Sandsharks, Bonesharks, and Crashes. All you have to do is swim around them in an orb pattern.

As I've been saying, this is true for individual predators or maybe pairs. But large gangs of them as appear around virtually every worthwhile resource in the game render that strategy less than effective.

As I've been saying, this is true for individual predators or maybe pairs. But large gangs of them as appear around virtually every worthwhile resource in the game render that strategy less than effective.

Not with UG fins and plasteel tank. This allows diving through shark swarm infested territory and still pick your stuff if you don't wait too long at a place. The speed difference is really amazing and feels like you are permenantly running a seaglide. Not really for beginners though.

Also you can always train diving movement by trying to catch peepers or playing hide and seek with lonely biters.

And once the reinforced diving suit is back in the game (very soon) it will look even better.

• CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Maybe Lifepod 8 is buried in the sand?

It is near the surface of the water, upside down, if I remember correctly. The signal is down by the sand for some reason.
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    The hate... Are you feelin it now Mr. Krabs??? ;)
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    new X-COMs have "second wave" options - dozen or so gamplay modifications that you can turn on after your first play through. They make game

I play X-COM Long War.

'Nuff said.

zetachron wrote: »

Not with UG fins and plasteel tank. This allows diving through shark swarm infested territory and still pick your stuff if you don't wait too long at a place. The speed difference is really amazing and feels like you are permenantly running a seaglide. Not really for beginners though.

Also you can always train diving movement by trying to catch peepers or playing hide and seek with lonely biters.

And once the reinforced diving suit is back in the game (very soon) it will look even better.

While all that is technically true (upgraded fins, tank, reinforced suit), the first two are from blueprints in the Mountains or Dunes wrecks, which, because of Reapers, are forced to be late-game unlocks. The third isn't even in the game at present.

If the Modification Station becomes accessible mid-game again, and they finally put the reinforced dive suit back, then yeah, maybe it won't be quite so awful. But for now, you basically have to go the whole game with no real means of countering the swarms of predators. Yeah, I know, EA etc.
    Cyion wrote: »
    Myrm wrote: »
    Maybe Lifepod 8 is buried in the sand?

It is near the surface of the water, upside down, if I remember correctly. The signal is down by the sand for some reason.

And it's labeled with a "4", not an "8". Seems likely the Signal will change to match at some point.

As far as that goes, I keep finding PDAs in wrecks and in the last couple of pods (3, 13, I think) that don't download anything. I'm very curious as to what those are supposed to say, especially since neither of those pods are near any obvious wrecks or other features they would otherwise be drawing your attention to.
  • LT_WeirdoLT_Weirdo norway Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221923Members
    Now i have only played subnautica for a total of 40 hours~ with two separate runs in total, but i seriously do not get what this bs about how hard it is to progress, out of all the games that are like this one which i've played, subnautica feels the most perfect in terms of balancing, the areas that are locked until set gear is acquired does not feel forced, infact it feels really natural.

As for the sharks i do feel they dont act like they should, being that they should be acting like ambushing predators but that is pretty much the only thing i agree on here.

Saying that the blueprints are to hard to get is just some pussy shit, the hole challenge comes from those moments where you have rely on your skill and wit to surpass your gear.

As for predators i have my own little issue that i want someone to address, i built my base basicly under my pod (dont judge me i wanted it there for the view) and there were some stalkers there, now i dont mind that, they are dumb af and im smart af right, what i do mind is when i built my scanner room, guess what, they fucking steal my cameras!

Btw does the cyclops still despawn after save->load? i dont want to waste resources testing it since i can't have 2+ save slots.
  • GenghisConnorGenghisConnor Usa Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221720Members
    LT_Weirdo wrote: »
    As for predators i have my own little issue that i want someone to address, i built my base basicly under my pod (dont judge me i wanted it there for the view) and there were some stalkers there, now i dont mind that, they are dumb af and im smart af right, what i do mind is when i built my scanner room, guess what, they fucking steal my cameras!

Oh god. I remember hopping on my scanner room and trying to cycle through 3 cameras just to find out one was left. I was staring out into the water through the cam pod, (hadn't even detached it from base) wondering what happened. Thats when I watched a stalker come out of nowhere and just take it from right off its mount. now im usually peaceful with stalks but not when computer chips are at stake. Kelp forest is the biome scanner room is most useful for too, (sandstone!!!)

ON topic: I can agree with the point about wrecks being difficult to explore for the unprepared, especially when your hungry for that next tech you need. I enjoy the resource management required cause of this personally, but it's true new players might not think to use extra tanks or air pipes. I think there needs to be stronger encouragement to test out the games tools, otherwise their usefulness may never dawn on you. Also perhaps radio signals pointing out fragment locations if you're taking too long to find them

The sandsharks thing doesnt worry because its such a glaring issue I know it'll be fixed, but we should definitely discuss more the more obscure factors of game balance so that the devs can see wide range of ideas and opinions. How techs are found sets the pacing for the game so its important to discuss

Oh god. I remember hopping on my scanner room and trying to cycle through 3 cameras just to find out one was left. I was staring out into the water through the cam pod, (hadn't even detached it from base) wondering what happened. That's when I watched a stalker come out of nowhere and just take it from right off its mount.

Exactly same way i found out :D

As for help finding fragments i honestly think it's fine as it is right now, though i guess if you're really bad it could be nice to get some help, i just do not want the game to hold my hand, i can find my own damn fragments!
    And i dont think im that good at the game either tbh, i still only struggle a little when something new happens, so i really dont relate to this "it is to hard to progress due to fragments/hostiles/depth".

I honestly dont think a difficulty setting (further up the thread) would be good either, is it not more fun and rewarding when you actually overcome a struggle, and again as mentioned above if all you wanna do is explore there is a mode just for that >.>
    Difficulty settings are always an improvement. Not everyone is "good" at gaming and there might be disabilities at play, so why not make it accessible? It doesn't take away the struggle, it makes it fair depending on individual players' needs.

As for the scanner room, really hoping one of its upgrade modules will be a security system, like a small zap if a fish touches the cameras. I'd also like a helmet chip that can detect cameras in case one does get stolen and I have some idea where it went and want to retrieve it.
    being "good" is subjective, i'm not even that good at game i play (at least by my own standards), and this game is neither too hard nor too easy, it's just the right amount i do not understand why we have to coddle people, i get that it's entertainment and that people buy it therefore it shouldn't be the case that they can't play through it. but when it's a game like this where good play is dependant on playstyle more so than raw skill in one field, i'd say challenging these hypothetically people to something that they might not be good enough at will make them better or even perhaps learn something.