'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Ha. I love how you sneaked in the whole phase gate thing. Trying to have some similarities to the games lore?

Not really 'sneaked in' as such... Merely introducing this plot point to the narrative at the appropriate time.

Trying my level best to maintain some vague similarity to canon game lore, but it's a (wildly) moving target. ;)
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I just have to ask...

Do they have aquariums?Can we maybe a breather chapter where Selkirk shows the colonists around Mannanan and it's beautiful creatures?
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Ha. I love how you sneaked in the whole phase gate thing. Trying to have some similarities to the games lore?

Not really 'sneaked in' as such... Merely introducing this plot point to the narrative at the appropriate time.

Trying my level best to maintain some vague similarity to canon game lore, but it's a (wildly) moving target. ;)

When did phase gates get added to the lore?
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    When did phase gates get added to the lore?

Something something Aurora, something something Administrator's Office, something something terminal.

"NO SPOILERS!"

*cringes away*

• AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    edited August 2016
    What happens nine months from today will only be the start of it.
    Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
    Baby: Waah! Waah!
    Selkirk: He/She is so cute!
    Heloise: I'll call him/her (insert name here).
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What happens nine months from today will only be the start of it.
    Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
    Baby: Waah! Waah!
    Selkirk: He/She is so cute!
    Heloise: I'll call him/her (insert name here).

Surely that's not possible? He's a robot after all.
    edited August 2016
    Aah, but feast your eyes:

Héloise smiled wickedly.

"Other than that.

Aah, but feast your eyes:

Héloise smiled wickedly.

"Other than that.

It might be something that seems[ like "that" but I highly doubt that it would be viable. For all we know, he's installed an actual protein shake dispenser down there.
    There are other humans in this picture as well. Many of them still doing what comes naturally.
    There are other humans in this picture as well. Many of them still doing what comes naturally.

That's what I figured you meant.
    sayerulz wrote: »

However, don't discount the 'protein shake' hypothesis either. Selkirk is a man of many parts, after all. ;)

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    That last chapter practically screamed SCIENCE!!!!

I wonder what the Ghost Leviathan's stance will be on this, despite living in the lost river.

...will he obey the father of tides?
    <div class="sketchfab-embed-wrapper"><iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/afcf3213a3fb4a1199ebccf75339b801/embed&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="https://sketchfab.com/models/afcf3213a3fb4a1199ebccf75339b801?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Ghost_Leviathan lowpoly WIP</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/fox3d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Fox3D</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>
    </div>
    sayerulz wrote: »

However, don't discount the 'protein shake' hypothesis either. Selkirk is a man of many parts, after all. ;)

Fair enough
    Ok then now that that is over, let's get back to the story.
  • Space_JesusSpace_Jesus Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182732Members
    edited September 2016
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    Also, the limestone in game is Stalker **** in this universe?

I'm afraid so.

Now wash your hands.
    You're not my dad.
  • Space_JesusSpace_Jesus Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182732Members
    edited September 2016
    Also, great job with this, Bug.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I like the little homage to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge incident, Rest in Piece Tubby and that one car. Also, I feel like someone that far in the future would have a tough time understanding what the fast paced black and white 2D video was on their PDA's, considering it was in the 1940's and they probably are all used to fully realistic 3D holograms or something for entertainment lol.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Getting the plot further on track with the game I see ;)
    CHAPTER SEVEN

The only sound was water dripping from my dive suit. Emergency lighting threw trembling reflections on the ceiling of the cavernous sub bay. I climbed out of the water slowly and carefully, keeping my own noise level as low as possible. Although the Lava Castle base is supposed to be entirely deserted, there was no sense in announcing my presence to all and sundry, particularly if there is something in here with me. Sometimes, a wee touch of paranoia can be a useful thing.

As a nod to common sense, I kept the flechette rifle slung on my shoulder. On the off-chance that a colonist or two may have gone into hiding, it would make a mighty poor first impression for me to be prowling around the base with a readied weapon. I ran a deep scan of the surrounding area, then commenced sampling of the sub pen's atmosphere. If the infection originated in the waters outside the base, the colony's only air/water interface seemed like a logical point to begin testing.

Fortunately, the environmental sampling unit performed all of the grunt-work for me. All I had to do was point its probe wand at the surface I wanted sampled, and the backpack processed the targeted material automatically. Tagged, bagged and time-stamped, all in one smooth motion. If I ever decide to ship out again, I might be tempted to take a crack at Life Sciences. If this sampling caper was anything to go by, it's a fairly cushy job. Of course, there's always a high probability of getting jumped by a xeno lurking around the next corner, but it's nothing I haven't been through already.

Rather than use the main airlock, I entered the base via a personnel access hatch. Its pressure equalization cycle was far quieter, for one thing. While the cycle was running, I took another series of samples from various surfaces in the chamber itself, if only to be completely thorough in my search. The inner hatch opened quietly, and I stepped into the central corridor. The only audible sound came from the base's main air-circulation fans, and even then I had to strain to hear it. Although this base is technically moth-balled, its life support systems have been left running as a contingency measure. Left to its own devices, dead air will go stale in fairly short order. Oxygen levels could slowly deplete due to chemical reactions with certain materials in the base, rendering its atmosphere potentially lethal for anyone not wearing an environment suit.

This isn't a huge problem, at least as far as I'm concerned, although any human down to their last few litres of breathing mix would be eternally grateful that there's still a safe atmosphere in here. I linked with a nearby terminal to obtain a status report on the base as a whole, and it looked good. Power consumption currently sitting at 0.05 per cent, life support running at minimal load, all nuclear reactors are in standby mode and the geothermal power grid is nominal. Looks like everything's basically tickety-boo in here.

Moving slowly and methodically, I worked my way through the base, room by room. Mainly personnel accommodation and facilities on this level, so this part of the run was going to be a monotonous grind. Average Joe colonist must have had a grim time here, all things considered. I walked through corridor after corridor of drab cubicles that had been lasered out of the surrounding basalt, along with most of their interior fittings and furniture. I was pleasantly surprised that the bed alcoves had decent mattresses and the stone benches had fabric cushions, although these items were the only apparent concessions to human comfort. Each room had a single outer door for privacy, its own hygiene module and an entertainment terminal, but that was as soft as it got for those poor sods. I don't think Alterra would dare provide such Spartan digs for its employees.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    you should publish the arora falls and this
    @hugothesilverdragon Welcome back, Hugo! :)

I'd love to publish both, but UWE would tear me a new one.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members