lockups by progression

jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
If you want to make really nice way of going into the ns game, you could introduce lockups on different abilities and guns and lifeforms. I got the idea (which probably has been suggested many times before) about concede-function first because these days many different skill levels play on the same server and finishing the game is important for the rookies but less so for the vets (who knows when the game is over usually) since they really has to see how EVERYTHING works game mechanic wise. A rookie can learn a lot from the endgame. How to handle weapons, how different lifeforms works and so on. So if you make concede button only work till you get a certain level (hivetime, skill, whatever) you can have this function only to work for higher skill levels. This thinking could also be applied higher lifeforms or guns. The point is that to a rookie gets overwhelmed by all options and this will make it easier for him/her and create a sense of progression. Also, as a bonus, smurfs will get really annoyed! And for the business minded that complains about lockups, you could maybe get a all lockups for a (tiny) fee. :)

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Rofl. It would be a logical step in the CoD direction so maybe we will see this one day.

But if that happens, the remaining 100 players will quit too.

Terrible idea. Absolutely terrible.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited August 2016
    Well at least i tried :) why is it terrible, please elaborate?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    jrgn wrote: »
    ...Make concede button only work till you get a certain level (hivetime, skill, whatever) you can have this function only to work for higher skill levels. ...

This thinking could also be applied higher lifeforms or guns. The point is that to a rookie gets overwhelmed by all options and this will make it easier for him/her and create a sense of progression. Also, as a bonus, smurfs will get really annoyed! And for the business minded that complains about lockups, you could maybe get a all lockups for a (tiny) fee. :)

To be honest I am not 100% sure what you are suggesting here. It reads like you want to make concede work until you get to a X level. This would make it so veterans could not concede, only rookies could.

I would not like that suggestion. Veterans would start F4'ing instead of staying in the game trying to concede. This would hurt the games quality of life.

Part of me thinks you are actually are suggesting the reverse and I am reading it wrong. This would mean rookies would not be able to concede until they reach X level. Again, I don't like this. People should be able to concede if they want to concede. This would hurt quality of life.

You say this concept could also be applied to lifeforms and weapons. I really do not like that either. I would not want to limit certain players. I can imagine where we have a team rookies and no one can onos because they have not unlocked it yet. This could effect game balance.

I also do not like rookies and veterans having different mechanics in game. I would not want rookie only servers to have health bars, and regular servers to not. I think it is best if rookies and veterans play the same game. That means having all weapons and lifeforms unlocked.
    edited August 2016
    sorry for that:of course i mean the other way around...;)
    But i was thinking it to take maybe like a few hours to put in on a scale, maybe as an alternative to a tutorial.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well at least i tried :) why is it terrible, please elaborate?

Because it is not a fair game if some people can use things that other people cannot use. A player should never be better than another player because the game gives him an unfair advantage, but because he got more skill.

This is one of the reasons why Call of Duty is so bad.
    Sorry haven't played CoD, but the idea is not very original but the intension is not to mix players of different skill level and different "sets"--we already have rookie-only servers for this to unfold :) And like every idea it never fits right out of the box you always have to adjust it. Idling may also be an activity @BeigeAlert! >Unlock:AFK-kick! :cold_sweat:
    Thinking around this, i come to the conclusion this is what the combat game mode did in ns1 and ns2:lockup by experience.
    Sorry haven't played CoD, but the idea is not very original but the intension is not to mix players of different skill level and different "sets"--we already have rookie-only servers for this to unfold :) And like every idea it never fits right out of the box you always have to adjust it. Idling may also be an activity @BeigeAlert! >Unlock:AFK-kick! :cold_sweat:

I don't really understand what are you trying to say. How does that change the fact that it gives people an unfair advantage?

Also I did not play NS1 Combat. But in NS2 Combat every player started the same with lvl 1 every new round.
    yup ns1 and ns2 combat was basically the same. gain experience by killing to unlock (self-chosen) upgrades and abilities. my intent with this was not to give an unfair advantage more like a tutorial with a pedagogical value. In the cas e with conceding, i always felt a little sorry for all newcomers that hears the vets asking to concede when the game is lost, while the newcomer has no clue about what is going on. So their only option is to concede without knowing why when they really need to find out how the game mechanics works with res management and final goal of a game:kill the hive/comm station. You never learn this if you only click the concede button because everybody tells you to do it.
  • snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members
    yup ns1 and ns2 combat was basically the same. gain experience by killing to unlock (self-chosen) upgrades and abilities. my intent with this was not to give an unfair advantage more like a tutorial with a pedagogical value. In the cas e with conceding, i always felt a little sorry for all newcomers that hears the vets asking to concede when the game is lost, while the newcomer has no clue about what is going on. So their only option is to concede without knowing why when they really need to find out how the game mechanics works with res management and final goal of a game:kill the hive/comm station. You never learn this if you only click the concede button because everybody tells you to do it.

Judging by the vast amount of people with 1000+ hours who go "OMG WHY CONCEDE???" when one team has been on 7 RTs for the entire round and the other team doesn't get more than 1 room away from their spawn, learning when to concede is the most important lesson of NS2. Might as well start as early as possible.