ALL MESSED UP

DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
So, after the last update, the game got SOOO messed up....Sandstone is VERY hard to find, I had to kill 3 stalkers right bellow my pod (in SAFE shallows) and I have 6 gasopods near it. Cherry on top, the Lifepod moved about 100 meters instantly, turned my head and it was gone...and I just built a small base near it for storage. Now I need to swim all the way to the lifepod for food/water cause I really can't find 3 silver to make the fabricator. This sux.

Comments

• aneyeaneye MSK Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219014Members
    Seems like a bug... Anyway, sandstone now are in Kelp Forest biome. And stalkers dwells not in every Kelp Forest, just hang around for awhile and you'll find your silver :)
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Just go to the northern volcanic vent in the Save Shallows and you get some 20 sandstone in the caverns beneath it.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    I travel a lot. In my voyage to the floater island (after the first to messages about the aurora) there is a kelp forest and I have to much silver and gold for my own good! Try taking an early road trip. They help;)
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    DannyR wrote: »
    So, after the last update, the game got SOOO messed up....Sandstone is VERY hard to find, I had to kill 3 stalkers right bellow my pod (in SAFE shallows) and I have 6 gasopods near it. Cherry on top, the Lifepod moved about 100 meters instantly, turned my head and it was gone...and I just built a small base near it for storage. Now I need to swim all the way to the lifepod for food/water cause I really can't find 3 silver to make the fabricator. This sux.

Here's the thing... none of those are new, though the lifepod "teleportation" should be rarer now, AFAIK it is still a bug. Used to be it would "teleport" way off the map, not just a few meters, though.

Stalkers under your pod? Happens all the time. Surrounded by way too many gasopods? I've been complaining about that since the Machine update. One of the devs told me I was exaggerating. Obviously they don't play the game or just don't mind getting gassed to death every dozen meters or so in the "increasingly-unsafe-yet-we-call-it-safe" zone. Sandstone hard to find? Have you even played this game before? If it was any harder to find it would be missing entirely.

On that score, though, there are specific spots that always have sandstone (Big Green Tube middle cave-behind-the-boulder-you-can-squeeze-behind, and the two thermal vents in the Safe Shallows). Even with the screwy drop rate you should be able to get 4 silver to make a builder and fabricator. The vents are a long swim apart though. The not-so-full-of-creepvine-but-still-green-grassy Kelp Forest area overlooking the Grand Reef where it meets both the Sparse Reef and Grassy Plateau is also a near-Stalker-less place to find sandstone in the crevices and canyons of that cliff edge. Just follow the border between Grassy Plateau and Sparse Reef due south and you'll hit it.

In general, sandstone is still an unbalanced mess, but that's over the whole game. If you have played before and know where to look, though, it shouldn't be a problem at the beginning for making the first fabricator, at least.
  • DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
    Yeah, actually it's all good :) The Fabricator keeps moving around in my base, water floating in above water rooms (that was an issue before too), and I just made a Cyclops and the game bugged, so now I have a floating, frame-killer Cyclops which I can't use :)))) True, I'm on experimental, but that is the first time when I encounter game-breaking bugs.
    And YES, I played this game before :) I have almost 300 hours of gameplay. And some of this problems I never encountered. :)

8p0qcxw7uf20.jpg
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    Yeah I had to build another Cyclops and Seamoth because they disintegrated after reloading in the Aurora. The update did some things concerning balance I am not so sure about, but you can easily adapt. Once you have the Seamoth the game becomes much easier anyway. One thing though that I find hard to cope with is the modification station that I have yet to find. I do agree with the fragments being in wrecks though.
    Concerning this though I would like to have a room or wall-mounted mechanism where I can manage my signals and beacons. Right now I have about ten beacons out and the HUD is getting quite cluttered. Also I have two signals still going, while I have another six in my lockers. Another five got lost in my Cyclops. If I had a way to store them in my PDA or a mechanism this would really be a feature and would open up great possibilities.
    For example you could have 5 beacons on the way down to the LZ and LR to guide you through narrow passages. But of course you do not need that all the time. So why not turn them off as you will?
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Sandstone has always been rare and even if you find it if the random generation doesn't fall in your favor you still may not find any silver. There are reports of people mining the heat vents in the shallows and coming up with nothing but gold.

It seems like a strange move to take what is one of the most common issues with the game, the limited amount of silver, and making it even scarcer by removing it from the grassy plateau. Why would they do that?

You can find some in the kelp forests, make sure to look for cares. Be careful of the hanging vines (those purple jellyfish looking things), they do less damage than before but they are glitched. You can't swim around them anymore (sometimes) they form a solid invisible wall that blocks you off from getting further. It can keep you from getting to what little sandstone you can find sometimes.
    You only need a PRAWN suit and the Drill Arm. Then you can have all the silver and copper you may ever want from the big resource nodes.
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    The prawn is the last unlock. You need silver and copper for early game stuff.

All these large nodes to drill do nothing for a beginner. They can't even reach the sea treaders if they don't find a way to cheat into the depths to find the vehicle mod station so they can build a pressure compensater.

It is possible to unlock the prawn pretty quickly, but only if you know exactly what items you need and where to get them admittedly. I will admit that silver is a bit obnoxious to find. Maybe a few other ideas might work. Remove gold from the drop table for Sandstone? That would help a lot and at the moment gold isn't used for much in the early game. Advanced wiring kits aren't need for much. Moonpools.. but gold can be found in basalt as well and you could simply get some from there. In fact, there's basalt all over the place near the wreck that the moonpool frags are located.

Alternatively maybe the player should be able to craft a weaker, portable hand drill to mine nodes with earlier in the game? It could potentially still use diamonds in the recipe to keep it from being TOO easily accessible. The drill on the PRAWN would still be useful as it allows you to safely harvest in more hostile territory without worrying about being completely immobile while drilling.

Just some thoughts.
    A beginner doesn't need all that silver anyway. The PRAWN can be acquired before the Cyclops even. From the Aurora you get a beacon to the Mountain Island and there you find everything to get to the PRAWN fragments and all the rare materials for building one. Rest is wreck exploring in the Grassy Plateaus, both wrecks being close to pods with their own beacon.
    Fathom wrote: »
    A beginner doesn't need all that silver anyway. The PRAWN can be acquired before the Cyclops even. From the Aurora you get a beacon to the Mountain Island and there you find everything to get to the PRAWN fragments and all the rare materials for building one. Rest is wreck exploring in the Grassy Plateaus, both wrecks being close to pods with their own beacon.

I just searched the aurora and the only beacon was the signal to where the precusor gun is going to be. If the mountain is in there, it must be in the section you can't reach without the propulsion gun (technically both, pretty sure jumping over it is an exploit) or is behind the door you need the laser cutter for.

You know, the laser cutter that you need a diamond to make, the one that is easily found on the mountain if you know where it is.

you see the conundrum loop here? You need the laser or other late tech item to get the beacon to lead you do the laser. It doesn't work practically.
    well ya got me there, I found it but I'm assuming that's a temporary case unless they plan to retool the mountain island because there is nowhere right now for an orbital weapon. I assumed it lead to what will be a new island.

Also doesn't change the fact that we need an exploit to get the data in the first place.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Two words: Early. Access. :tongue:
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »

That's no excuse for glaring balance issues, to a point in this update you could call them roadblocks, brick walls, or game-breaking balance issues, in a game they obviously intend for us to playtest. Kind of hard to do that if you have to cheat to play because all the fragments are too deep, too well guarded, require their own tech to get to, don't spawn due to flawed RNG, or can't be made even if you get the blueprint because one or more resources is unobtainable.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    orobouros wrote: »

fragments are too deep, too well guarded, require their own tech to get to, don't spawn due to flawed RNG, or can't be made even if you get the blueprint because one or more resources is unobtainable.

You'd be right if you weren't completely wrong.
    orobouros wrote: »

fragments are too deep, too well guarded, require their own tech to get to, don't spawn due to flawed RNG, or can't be made even if you get the blueprint because one or more resources is unobtainable.

You'd be right if you weren't completely wrong.

Are you even reading the posts from people playing the Prawn update? Everybody who hasn't spawned in their "magic suit" to play around with it or converted an old save is saying some or all of those things. This update is as fundamentally game-breaking as anything I've yet to see in Subnautica.

And the ones that did convert an old save have lost their Cyclopses, so there's that. I'm starting to associate that kind of lose / lose mentality with Subnautica, honestly, given that there aren't gameplay solutions for many of the game's "problems" (that is, hungry sharks), which is why you constantly get new people complaining about the same things:

Where's silver? I can't find any.

Where's [fragment x]? I can't find any.

How do you kill [hostile thing very effectively stopping your game in its tracks]?

What do you mean there aren't going to be any weapons?

The ideas in this game are awesome, but the attention to balance has been atrocious, which is why you keep seeing these patterns. And the Devs just decide to make it 100x worse by upping shark aggressiveness, numbers, & persistence, AGAIN, and then locking all the fragments behind an army of them or at depths you can't hope to get to without the tech they unlock, even the very simple early stuff like chargers, rooms, and aquariums? You can't possibly defend that, it's moronic.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    The prawn is the last unlock. You need silver and copper for early game stuff.

All these large nodes to drill do nothing for a beginner. They can't even reach the sea treaders if they don't find a way to cheat into the depths to find the vehicle mod station so they can build a pressure compensater.

What the game needs now is a portable drill tool that works like the drill arm but doesn't require an exosuit to use.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    I think @EnglishInfidel summed up everything perfectly in the post above, and successfully countered all the whiny complaints. Kudos to you, dear sir (or madam).

For any balance issues, missing stuff, etc, people need to effing remember it's an early access game. If the problem you encounter is indeed a bug, and not just simply more difficult gameplay design you are too lazy to deal with, then report it as a bug instead of running to the forums to cry and demand changes to suit your simplistic needs.

The point of us playing the early version of the game is to help the devs balance everything out, we have no right to expect a complete and flawless gameplay at this point.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The Precursor Gun is on the Mountain Island...

Wait, there's actually something on the Mountain Island other than an excess of lithium? I guess that means I'm not very good at exploring it's network of caves.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    The Precursor Gun is on the Mountain Island...

Wait, there's actually something on the Mountain Island other than an excess of lithium? I guess that means I'm not very good at exploring it's network of caves.

It's not in there yet, but what I can tell you is that there is some sure room for it ;)
  • NitoNito Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221631Members
    @EnglishInfidel i totally agree with you. I started a new game too, and had no problems finding silver or get the fragments i need.
    It is if you say, to read here about such problems, is the feeling others played a totally different game.

Weapons? For what would we need weapons? If a sandshark is chasing after me, i don't need to kill him i can avoid them...
    Even with the others like Bonesharks or our beloved (^^) stalkers. If you want a game, where you can
    kill everything on sight, just play another Game.

And all that complaining and whining about the bugs and so on... others sayed before and i say it again, it is still EARLY ACCESS,
    what means it is not 100% ready yet. Did some of you read that point over? There are working on it, so if you find a bug or something else
    just report that bug, so you can help, to find the bugs etc better.

• AlarethAlareth USA Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221710Members
    One of the things I do when searching for silver in the kelp forests is skip scanning the sandstone chunks. That helps me identify them from a distance because I'll get the "scan" symbol in the corner of the screen for them and not for limestone.
  • DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
    It's all nice and well. My WHINY complaint @Victor32 , is that I have a FCKING Cyclops stuck in mid air and constant 3fps...So I need to START A NEW GAME AGAIN...after all the trouble finding silver, fragments and all of that...that, for me, is not ok :)
    It's all nice and well. My WHINY complaint @Victor32 , is that I have a FCKING Cyclops stuck in mid air and constant 3fps...So I need to START A NEW GAME AGAIN...after all the trouble finding silver, fragments and all of that...that, for me, is not ok :)
    Now you are talking about a technical problem, not a gameplay problem. Different creatures.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members

You have encountered an obvious bug, it has nothing to do with other complaints. That said, you are playing an early access game, so I see no issue whatsoever. If you expected flawless performance from an early access game, you are doing it wrong. Just report it and deal with it, it's not something that will be present in the finished game, obviously.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    I would like to have a room or wall-mounted mechanism where I can manage my signals and beacons. Right now I have about ten beacons out and the HUD is getting quite cluttered.

Way back when I suggested a new tab on your PDA that would work kind of like the Radio tab in Fallout 4's PipBoy -- you could "tune into" whichever beacon or signal you wanted and that would be the only visible one in the HUD (along with the standard seamoth and cyclops ones). Or maybe you could checkmark several in a scrolling list so that you could have a few show up in the HUD, but not all of them.