The Massacre at Obraxis Prime...

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
After crafting the knife I got the message about that incident. Now I'm curious as to what happened there. Hopefully after reading the article I'm going to post, the devs won't remove the knife as well.... hmm...

Yes. This happened locally. My thought at the time was that since everyone's doing the massacre thing with guns, someone's eventually gonna try with the knife...
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guam-man-charged-with-killing-3-injuring-12-in-crash-stabbing-rampage/

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I doubt they'll remove it, as is said in-game, it is an essential tool.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    When I frst saw the message I thought it was a clever shout-out for the developer/user Obraxis (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/profile/Obraxis), but does it also come from another game they've made like Natural Selection?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    When I frst saw the message I thought it was a clever shout-out for the developer/user Obraxis (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/profile/Obraxis), but does it also come from another game they've made like Natural Selection?

The name of the planet is absolutely a shout-out, like how you see the word "Flayra" in one of the alien messages.
  • SamNauticaSamNautica Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221596Members
    I've read the article and do not see what this has to do with Subnautica. Could someone please clarify?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited August 2016
    SamNautica wrote: »
    I've read the article and do not see what this has to do with Subnautica. Could someone please clarify?

The developers made a decision not to include weapons in the game due to the Sandy Hook Shooting (a mass shooting at an elementary school). I'm guessing the Obraxis Prime Massacre is a reference to the school shooting, and when you first craft the knife that incident is mentioned as the reason you don't get weapons with the knife being the exception.

I thought I'd post that article about someone attempting the same thing with a knife. I still remember reading about all the school shootings going on and had always thought someone would be crazy enough to try it with a knife. And sure enough... there's a crazy person going through the hotel district trying exactly that... because he really did lose his mind...

As for the devs taking away the knife, I agree with DealWithDog. The knife is way too important to be taken away, and the knife we get is hardly a weapon (you can kill things with it, but it's too small to do that effectively).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited August 2016
    The name of the planet is absolutely a shout-out, like how you see the word "Flayra" in one of the alien messages.

Oh neat! I missed that the first time around, I'll have to check for it again. Thanks! :)
    SamNautica wrote: »

The linked news article talks about how some person went on a rampage, stabbing over a dozen people before being arrested. The new message in game when crafting the knife indicates only Survival Knives are allowed to be crafted, as weapons are prohibited because of the "massacre on Obraxis Prime." Whether or not the OP is being serious or cheeky, they're 'concerned' the devs will remove the knife from the game because of the 'violent history' weapons have caused in the universe Subnautica exists in.

Given the developers' stance on weapons, and since the knife is needed for survival and is the only lethal option available (I don't know if Gas Torpedos can kill or just stun), I don't think it's much of a concern.
  • EnderWolfYTEnderWolfYT Join Date: 2020-12-16 Member: 266100Members
    I believe It is most likely a reference to the developer Obraxis tho there could be other reasons I say it could just be referencing a developer cuz that does happen in games other than that it could be coincidence that it is called obraxis prime and there is a de called obraxis or they needed a reason for no guns while having a cannon that can push sea tredders away and a knife still(i saw a YouTuber do that ok