Captains Marking - Easy Marking in overhead name allowing rookies to easily follow veteran players

XoPhyteXoPhyte Join Date: 2013-05-31 Member: 185431Members
As any veteran of the game understands, the primary problem with new players is that they do not look at the map, and without knowing the map they simply follow the next closest player(s) so they do not get lost. However this has the unintended consequence of them following other rookie players and then often creates a mob effect of newer players often running in a direction that has no influence in the current objective(s), thus creating a significant amount of frustration in older players trying to explain (yell) to the newer players to check their map.

It would be nice for any player that is either less then a certain hive skill, or less then some threshold below other players (lets say 1000), then anybody with a hive score of 1000 or more then what they would have would have a very easy to find captains marking for them to follow. This *should* encourage newer players to follow more advanced / older players and at least run towards a common objective rather then aimlessly in a mini-mob like 5 year olds playing soccer - all huddled around the ball.

I know that there are methods for the comm to set an objective, but it is very rarely if ever used. Veterans are typically watching the map closely and headed towards the correct objective, and this will hopefully allow them to lead some number of rookie players to the correct objective.

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Automatization is always clumsy... most "pro" players hate others following them around (im not one of them). I quite often hear a "STOP FOLLOWING ME" cry from pros when pple are flocking after them.
    At their level of gameplay, messing up an ambush by making noise, poking out of cover, etc... can get them killed more easily.
    Sure, newbies can also be cannonfodders, so its double edged.
    I see the merit of something like this, but I think its better if the coms would get tools to refine their orders instead of automatic mechanisms giving directions
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't think it is any better when all rookies follow one vet player. Because... the problem is that rookies only move in big packs, this proposed change would only encourage that.
  • XoPhyteXoPhyte Join Date: 2013-05-31 Member: 185431Members
    I don't think it is any better when all rookies follow one vet player. Because... the problem is that rookies only move in big packs, this proposed change would only encourage that.

There would not just be one "captain" but several on the team. This would help break up the 1 large mob of rookies and have smaller ones following around someone that knows (hopefully) where they are going.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    XoPhyte wrote: »
    There would not just be one "captain" but several on the team. This would help break up the 1 large mob of rookies and have smaller ones following around someone that knows (hopefully) where they are going.

That is the problem. You are asking for a feature that encourages an undesired behavior. We don't want players bunching up.

You could argue that players will bunch up anyways, so at least they bunch up behind someone who knows what they are doing. I think that is what you are saying.

I would still disagree. Design a better system so that they don't bunch up, know where they are doing, and hopefully know what they are doing.

In my previous post I linked two ideas that should help that a lot. We need more ideas like those.