New waypoint system

StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members Posts: 303 Advanced user
edited December 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've been prototyping an NS RTS for fun/learning and I've found unit selection and waypoints to be needless micro management.

I made a system where you just click the ground to designate an area where someone should be, then you can increment/decrement the amount of people you want there by clicking on it.

http://gfycat.com/FrequentVapidHarpseal
eRYFWcU.gif

By placing these, the commander can say I want 3 people here, 2 people here, and 1 defending base, for example. They would show up on everyone's map. It would be up to the inidividuals to make sure the positions were filled be people.
XcCooXT.png

I was thinking the comm would use the map screen (C) and middle mouse to place/increment them, and right-click to decrement/delete them.
Soul_Riderxen32DaxxDC_DarklingDraptorMe9asnbBicsumjrgnWob

Comments

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members Posts: 254 Advanced user
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members Posts: 571 Advanced user
    but first you need people to watch their map
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,681 Advanced user
    The devs trello show they have improved waypoint systems on the way. Those and if we can get something like this would be great.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2294756#Comment_2294756
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members Posts: 298 Advanced user
    Looks cool, would like to try this OP idea.
    Handschuh
  • snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members Posts: 37 Fully active user
    New players not knowing where to go truly is one of the biggest problems of this game.

When I comm, I always try to tell individual people where to go (or at least stuff like "next spawner go X"), but most new players will just COMPLETELY ignore anything being said and follow any random fellow marine to anywhere, often leading to having a whole bunch of marines in a useless spot.

Every time I bother to give my marines waypoints manually, I find a lot of people will actually obey, but there's no time to constantly do this all game.

Just casually clicking on the map to order your marines where to go, on the other hand, sounds like it could comfortably be added to the comm's tasks. This suggestion is one of the best ideas ever posted here IMO and needs to find its way into the game ASAP.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 483 Advanced user
    WHAT THE POOP. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver Posts: 64 Advanced user
    nice concept :)
    DiamondGamers.net
    A Rich Gaming Experience.