Better Hardware Didn't Help... (Devs Please)

Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
edited August 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
So it's been more than a month, maybe 2, now that my game has broke and stopped working. I've updated my RAM from 8GB to 24GB, I upgraded my GPU from a GT 610 to a 1060, but nothing has worked... reinstalling, using launch codes, switching to experimental, verifying game files, nothing has worked... I'm going to post my new specs here, and the output.log in hopes that one of the developers can take a good look at it, because I am stumped... (For anybody who doesn't know my problem, when I click PLAY, the subnautica tab will open, but it'll be clear and I can only see my desktop. On click, or after a few seconds, it will say it has stopped responding and it will close.)

DxDiag

pastebin.com/VxMqXWBS

Output.log

pastebin.com/Sy5MgkYP

Comments

• Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    Anyone got any ideas??? :(
  • KhornetKhornet Poland Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219641Members
    edited August 2016
    Signing under this, I have the same issue, no response from devs since a FULL MONTH NOW: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143564/bug-game-unplayable-at-all-cannot-even-reach-menu#latest
    EDIT: Ah, I just realized that you replied to my own thread signing under my issue. Well, still re-iterating; it's been a FULL MONTH without addressing an issue that COMPLETELY prevents access to the game I bought, it's not a crash issue or a mere bug.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I wish i could help you both but sadly im not versed enough in the wonderful world of computers to I.D your problems with the game. One thing i could suggest tho, if you did not try this already, is to send a PM to a Dev directly with as much information on your problems as possible in the initial PM (including your computer specs DxDiag).

They probably wouldnt like if everyone did this but since you've been waiting for over a month for an answer im sure they wont mind too much. Try @Max or @Obraxis or any other Dev
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2016
    Sorry for not responding, we're all very busy right now working on our next big update.

Looking at OP's logs, it looks like Subnautica is having an issue reading some files.

I notice you both have Subnautica installed on drives other than C:. This should be fine (I have mine on D myself) but one thing you could try:

Delete Subnautica fully from steam.

Go to your Steam Library, and manually delete any Subnautica folder that's left. (in the OP's case that would be
    F:/Beckwith672016/steamapps/common/Subnautica
    this will delete saved games.

Reboot your PC (off then on again).

Reinstall Subnautica, but to your C: drive

See if that helps. I have a few suspicions, and the results

One other thing you can try after that, is running a Commmand Prompt (with admin rights). And typing:
    sfc /scannow

This will force Windows itself to do a scan for corrupted system files, that might be causing issues.
    edited August 2016
    Thank you for the reply. Will install to C: and see what happens.

EDIT: As the OP below me reported already; it didn't help. Verified Windows through cmd as well. Here's my output.log: pastebin.com/KpGy1XN0

EDIT 2: I thought it might be a Windows 7 issue (probably is, considering how you think it's related to file reading), so I rebooted, changed my Locale and System Language to match that of my OS (caused issues with the command prompt), verified through cmd again (properly this time), rebooted after it DID detect and fix some missing files after all, cleaned everything with CCleaner, ran a full system scan, basically did everything short of formatting. After wiping Subnautica data, rebooting and reinstalling it on C:, the problem still persists. I'm out of ideas myself.
    Installing to C: didn't help, same issue, will post output.log here, going to try the second one now.

pastebin.com/JZUwTUC4
    the scan didn't help either, im utterly confused on what to do.. :(
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Sorry for not responding, we're all very busy right now working on our next big update.

Looking at OP's logs, it looks like Subnautica is having an issue reading some files.

I notice you both have Subnautica installed on drives other than C:. This should be fine (I have mine on D myself) but one thing you could try:

Delete Subnautica fully from steam.

Go to your Steam Library, and manually delete any Subnautica folder that's left. (in the OP's case that would be
    F:/Beckwith672016/steamapps/common/Subnautica
    this will delete saved games.

Reboot your PC (off then on again).

Reinstall Subnautica, but to your C: drive

See if that helps. I have a few suspicions, and the results

One other thing you can try after that, is running a Commmand Prompt (with admin rights). And typing:
    sfc /scannow

This will force Windows itself to do a scan for corrupted system files, that might be causing issues.

Got any more possible solutions??? Downloading to C: didn't help, and the scan didn't find anything. :/
    Any thoughts one WHY my game is having trouble reading the files? I think it's the "mono" files...
  • luangzxxluangzxx Thailand Join Date: 2016-08-02 Member: 220915Members
    I often have the the same problem on my other steam games, but I could solve it by restarting my computer. In this case, I guess you should try reinstalling or changing your OS.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I really hope "reinstall windows" isn't the answer here.
    Yeah as much as I loved playing Subnautica I'm not going to format Windows for it, especially if it could happen again.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2016
    So looking at these latest logs, I don't see anything else that would be causing issues. A full re-install on another drive should have cleared any possible issue with Subnautica itself being corrupted, or unable to access by the system.

Therefore, this leads me to suspect a software conflict or corruption.

My advice at this stage would be:
    • Check your sound drivers, and make sure they are less than 6 months old (update them if you need to). Old sound drivers (especially from Realtek) have issues with Unity games.
    • Temporarily disable any anti-virus systems.
    • Temporarily disable all non-microsoft software which starts up when Windows does (using the startup tab in taskmanager in Windows 10 or msconfig in Windows 7).
    • Run Subnautica as 'administrator' or with 'Administrator privileges'.
    • If all else fails, it may be some other Windows issue, such as a Windows Registry corruption, corrupt non-microsoft but called .dll files or a number of other issues. In this case, an OS reinstall would be advisable.

We will likely be upgrading the engine to Unity 5.4 in the next month or so, you can also check to see if it works for you then.

• Tyr07Tyr07 Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173208Members
    Advanced apologies in case you've already looked at this but it could be issues with permissions / reading writing to drives.
    Since sfc /scannow found issues, also try chkdsk /f.

Unfortunately a lot of tools cannot truly repair everything that can break in windows and have adverse affects. Depending on the crash details ( I didn't flip through the log, just on a quick break) it could be permissions as well. Make sure you set the ownership of the entire folder to your user with full access.

Running as admin is a good suggestion too.
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    I looked at the logs and did see this:
    <RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (154 x 0 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x80070057

(Filename: Line: 265)

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (154 x 0 fmt 44 aa 1), error 0x80070057

While im not familiar with the code it seems that directx is getting an invalid agument passed.
    So either something in the code of subnautica is doing this or directx is somehow corrupt on your system.
    (But this is purely speculation at this point.)!

You could try and see if you can fix/repair directx.
    I do not know for sure if this is broken on your system but checking it can't do any harm.
    And I don't know what version of windows you have but a quick search on google should point you in the right direction on how to do a repair procedure.

Good luck!

Welp, im on the last step I guess. Though I don't want to take any risks.. :/
    I guess I'll wait till the engine updates! Hoping it will help!!!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    @Gourmet_Guy The only other thing I can think of, and it's going to be a right royal pain: Do a complete new install of Windows. Perhaps there is a little corrupted file somewhere that's being vary naughty. If you have been doing lots of installing and uninstalling other software it could have left some corrupted files somewhere. If you have the time and patience it might be worth a try.
    Think updating to Windows 10 will help?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Think updating to Windows 10 will help?

It's worth a try.
    Welp the new update didn't help... Will reinstalling windows wipe everything from my Computer?
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    Well everything you dont Save and originates from c or needs registrykeys referring to c.

Its strange that dx11 causes issues. I run subnautica on a similar system with no problems at all, which leads me to think it might either be a local dx problem originating from your system or, worstcase from your Hardware. But with switched GraCa the latter should have been solved
    Reinstalled Realtek drivers, including system reboot. Reinstalled Subnautica, didn't help.
    Shut down antivirus, Windows Firewall. Reinstalled Subnautica, didn't help.
    Reinstalled ALL AMD drivers, Catalyst, chipset drivers, EVERYTHING. Reinstalled Subnautica, didn't help.

So is this a hardware issue or what? How would this be even possible, if the game worked fine on the previous update for me for weeks and then just stopped for no reason?
  • ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
    Hi there. I have the same problem.

So uh... could we please get a refund until the Devs manage to fix this?

I don't wanna be a dick about this but I didn't wanna spend 20 bucks on something that's just not gonna work anymore for no apparent reason.
  • DeepDeepDiverDeepDeepDiver Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221723Members
    Tried making sure all the dependencies are installed?
    Subnautica\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2013\vcredist_<x64/x86>.exe
  • SchokiSchoki Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221731Members
    edited August 2016
    i have the same problem, tried all the things written above. I have Windows 10 and the problem exists more than two month. It happend from one day to another.
    It´s very frustrating.
  • ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
    At this point I'd even accept getting an older version of the game, from before the update. I just want to be able to play it! >.<