Enter the Roadmap - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited August 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageEnter the Roadmap - Natural Selection 2

Many of you have wondered what goes on behind the scenes, and what our long term plans are. In the earlier phases of this project we only had a 3...

Read the full story here

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2016
    The forums went down for a bit and had to be rolled back, so unfortunately all your lovely (and largely positive) responses to this blog have been lost. :'(
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    edited August 2016
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    -.-
    *looks at @Max accusingly*
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Blah blah, still awesome, keep up the great work, love ya.

;)
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    So, a 64 bit engine. I don't have a reddit account, so here's a question. Will NS2 Large run better for clients and/or the server thanks to this? And what affect will there be, if any, on the map editor?
  • ThomasNSThomasNS Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82484Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Thanks you are the best
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great news! I'm personally very excited about it.

In a partially related note:
    Please enable last match stats during warm up. This is clearly a "quick win" as you define it in the post
    There is a reason why Mendasp collected so many game stats in NS2+. This is because we as a community find them very useful and it helps us to fill the wait between games. And I have always heard people asking for even more game stats to look at (like RTs killed by every player, etc). Since the implementation of Warm Up we cannot look at these stats unless we stay in the ready room doing nothing. Please fix this. I know that you all have thousands of things to do, but this is one of these things that produce a big improvement for little effort. (And yes, it is related to warm up, because when it is disabled then last game stats appear pressing X like always)

Other less important things about warm up mode:

1) Currently an alien com can drop hives everywhere and deny marines from going to most part of the map, because even unbuilt hives do this kind of damage. I suggest to apply this aura only on main bases.

2) currently this aura only does health damage and no armor damage... so it doesn't affect Exos at all (which is the only way of killing this extra hives that a random alien com can keep building)

3) if you want to make main bases as "safe zones" during warm up, then friendly fire ON makes no sense. Choose one or the other. Instead of aliens fighting marines you have marines fighting each other... If you want to keep both this "safe zones" and friendly fire, then give darwinmode to everyone while in their bases.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Blrg wrote: »

Please enable last match stats during warm up. This is clearly a "quick win" as you define it in the post
    There is a reason why Mendasp collected so many game stats in NS2+. This is because we as a community find them very useful and it helps us to fill the wait between games. And I have always heard people asking for even more game stats to look at (like RTs killed by every player, etc). Since the implementation of Warm Up we cannot look at these stats unless we stay in the ready room doing nothing. Please fix this. I know that you all have thousands of things to do, but this is one of these things that produce a big improvement for little effort. (And yes, it is related to warm up, because when it is disabled then last game stats appear pressing X like always)

1) Currently an alien com can drop hives everywhere and deny marines from going to most part of the map, because even unbuilt hives do this kind of damage. I suggest to apply this aura only on main bases.

2) currently this aura only does health damage and no armor damage... so it doesn't affect Exos at all (which is the only way of killing this extra hives that a random alien com can keep building)

3) if you want to make main bases as "safe zones" during warm up, then friendly fire ON makes no sense. Choose one or the other. Instead of aliens fighting marines you have marines fighting each other... If you want to keep both this "safe zones" and friendly fire, then give darwinmode to everyone while in their bases.

+1 to this

Also set friendly fire to OFF by default during warm up.

Some server owners haven't fixed this horrid mistake you made, and warm up mode is a crap experience on those servers. Skulks xenociding and teamkilling enemies in base.. Marines getting in exo and mowing down marines as they go for the armory/proto..

It is literally ONLY used for trolling, would be a ridiculously easy fix, and would improve warm up mode for everyone.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »

+1 to this

Some server owners haven't fixed this horrid mistake you made, and warm up mode is a crap experience on those servers. Skulks xenociding and teamkilling enemies in base.. Marines getting in exo and mowing down marines as they go for the armory/proto..

It is literally ONLY used for trolling, would be a ridiculously easy fix, and would improve warm up mode for everyone.

Can't imagine the benefits to enabling friendly fire in warmup mode? It's an inconsistent choice to make considering the game disables it by default except comp play.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester

Thanks for sharing this. Great points. I'll take a look into this when I have the time.
    Yojimbo wrote: »

+1 to this

Can't imagine the benefits to enabling friendly fire in warmup mode? It's an inconsistent choice to make considering the game disables it by default except comp play.

Yes, if it's enabled in warmup in vanilla it is a bug. Thanks for reporting this.
    edited August 2016
    remi wrote: »

Yes, if it's enabled in warmup in vanilla it is a bug. Thanks for reporting this.

Just to note remi.. I reported this when warmup mode was introduced and the response I got was along the lines of "well the server owners can disable it so complain to them"

If you guys are going to fix it now then a huge thank you from me.. It's been extremely annoying.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016

Points 1, 2, and 3 are issues with PreGame Plus, not warmup. Ghoul has reported that these bugs have been fixed. Thank you for reporting them.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I've always REALLY wanted to see RTs killed as a statistic, though I think it should be implemented as (Kills+Assists) only. Getting the killfeed is motivation enough to get last hits :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really wish all my stats had player damage / minute and structure damage / minute. I think those would be very interesting, although score / minute somewhat shows that information.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2016
    @Frozen tbh I would prefer "damage done to RTs" over "RTs killed". With bad luck you might have done best resbiting but due to bad luck never got the last hit on an RT

even though decysting RTs and letting the RT take cyst damage won't rly count then...
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think both might be interesting.. damage to RTs and killed RTs..
    also cyst damage.. especially “subdamage“ .to dying cysts. Damage to different lifeforms, powernodes, marines with jp(different equip).. etc
    Walked meters...as marine.. flown meters as lerk etc..
    Weldered Marines and weldered Buildings
    The more stats they can track the better
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mephilles wrote: »
    @Frozen tbh I would prefer "damage done to RTs" over "RTs killed". With bad luck you might have done best resbiting but due to bad luck never got the last hit on an RT

even though decysting RTs and letting the RT take cyst damage won't rly count then...

Just make it so that whoever did most damage to the RT gets the credit. And afaik the game is already smart enough to attribute a dying RT to a player that decysted; I'm pretty sure you get the full 15 points if you decyst it and let it die without touching it.
  • snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members
    And afaik the game is already smart enough to attribute a dying RT to a player that decysted; I'm pretty sure you get the full 15 points if you decyst it and let it die without touching it.

Aren't the points awarded to the last person who damaged it? No idea what happens if no one damaged the RT.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Dude is it not important when the guy who did 90% to an RT dies then someone else comes in gets a double kill and finishes the harvester? Pretty sure he deserves credit. Even doing 0 dmg can be an assist if you're covering the damage dealer..

It also helps reinforce their importance to new players if it's displayed prominently.
    edited August 2016
    ^ It is important, which is why at least 3 stats for RT's would be best..

- Number of RT's killed
    - Number of RT's you did damage to
    - Total amount of damage done to RT's
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    If your going to try to add a kill cam please just add server side demo recording so we can catch, griefers, trolls, spammers, hackers, ect when there is no admin around. Server side demo recording makes it easy for users to report things b/c everything is done for them already. We have successfully used server side demo recording on cs:s servers for over 10 years and it is a great asset to both players and admins.

It is also useful for special events b/c players can download the entire demo after the event and then make videos ect from any angle possible.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think in cs:go you can download those server side demos to watch them for yourself afterwards aswell. Just not sure if server side demo is possible with spark
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Just make it so that whoever did most damage to the RT gets the credit. And afaik the game is already smart enough to attribute a dying RT to a player that decysted; I'm pretty sure you get the full 15 points if you decyst it and let it die without touching it.

It is more important to kill the rt than to do 90% damage. If you did 90% damage to the rt and died, a gorge could come in and heal it.
    Killing the rt itself is more valuable.

At this time, to get points when an rt dies from decrypted you have to have damaged the rt.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »

It is more important to kill the rt than to do 90% damage. If you did 90% damage to the rt and died, a gorge could come in and heal it.
    Killing the rt itself is more valuable.

At this time, to get points when an rt dies from decrypted you have to have damaged the rt.

Yea but you have to deal a good amount of damage first to kill it.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

- Number of RT's killed

I agree for the first and third option here.
    edited August 2016
    coolitic wrote: »

- Number of RT's killed

I agree for the first and third option here.

Why the first and third but not the second? That along with the number you killed would tell you how many you damaged but someone else killed..

What makes the second option bad but the other two good???

The more stats they can show the player the better.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

- Number of RT's killed

Ideally you'd have
    - RTs killed (killing blows)
    - RT assist (RTs that were damaged by player and later killed before being healed to >90% HP)
    - Total RT damage dealt
    Ideally it would just add rt eliminations. We have structure damage already. At that point: What about shooting crags next to RTs? Would that be a stat too? Would it count toward RT damage?