Crafting speed

Comments

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    edited August 2016
    and I'm making suggestion of lower important to start equips into 40sec from 90sec as its more reasonable than everything crafted near instant where as you and endar keep going "remove entirely" instead of tying fit times that work for you without removing part that other end wants
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    heck lets go then better way: triple the damn times because now it adds a real realism card into play... lets keep arguing left or right who is right game forever then ... lets keep running this cause you cannot understand people who like times and keep standing "I am right, you are wrong" way
  • wmcook32wmcook32 Arkansas Join Date: 2015-06-08 Member: 205328Members
    edited August 2016
    *sigh*
    The crafting system as it stands could use some work. But that isn't what the OP was about.

The simplest fix would be to add a new menu with configurations, some thing like this:

For Survival:
    Crafting Timers> Cheat Instant (no timers) or Fast (No longer than say 60 secs on Advanced stuff) or Normal (current timers) or Long (double current timers)

Spawn rate of Fish> Low > Med > High

Damage Taken Multiplier > Half > Normal > Double

Day/Night Cycle > Short Days Long Nights > Normal > Long Days Short Nights

Things Like that. Of course it would be the Devs who would determine other options or numbers. This could possibly be where they end up anyway. But this bickering about things that you may not like or you may love get no one anywhere. Instead offer alternatives, suggestions on how to make this feature better.
    edited August 2016
    Just because you don't agree with one side doesn't mean they aren't providing suggestions or alternatives.

The suggestion is to not have lengthy crafting times.

And yet that is the exact argument that is currently going on. What I meant as alternatives/suggestions is ways to appease both sides of the issue.

Also you cut out a decent portion of the post. By quoting the parts you did you make it seem I'm choosing sides.

As to not agreeing with one side or the other I never did. What I DID do is offer a solution that you cut out of the quote.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    edited August 2016
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    wmcook32 wrote: »
    Crafting Timers> Cheat (instant craft)
    In a thread full of thinly veiled insults, contempt, and derision, you managed to take the top dick award. Congratulations.

Yeah. Side that does not like frivolous timers offers examples from game development, and examples of why it drags games down without anything robust enough in place to deserve it. Attempts to back up the opinion with GAME DESIGN factoids.

Side that wants long timers calls people who don't cheaters, bullies, lazy, people who just don't appreciate some intangible and unspoken plan, that they should not even say anything in the first place, etc etc.

In before Fathom disagrees. Then again, he disagreed with me saying "Hey, I noticed that Fathom has disagreed with every single one of my posts, and that he is the only one to do so thus far" (Still the case, as of this post).

So I'm starting to wonder if I need to crack open the dictionary to double check what the word "Disagree" means with how it seems to get used around here. When people disagree with saying they are disagreeing by disagreeing oh dear I've gone paradox crosseyed.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    like EnglishInfidel a lot of them seem to have contempt for the bulk of your playerbase
    You shouldn't make value judgements, or even judge me. You especially shouldn't tell the devs what they should be doing, that's their call.
    Contempt is a strong word. I don't have contempt for anybody with rational input, I merely might disagree.
    I just think instant crafting is outdated and lazy design, unrealistic (here we go again) and completely breaks immersion. Opinion. I like that the devs at least listened to the suggestions to this effect and tried something new, even if it's failed.

And I don't agree with anybody who thinks instant crafting is a good thing. I'm allowed to do that, despite what this thread might otherwise suggest.

Now have a s**t tier meme.

n7blq05cx2x7.jpg
    edited August 2016
    And yet another who doesn't seem to understand what exactly is written.

Apparently you don't understand the layout of that post. I'm a web coder and that is my way of layout menu items/subitems.

So lets try this:

New Game

Menu:
    Choose Difficulty Desired

Me: Survival

Menu:
    Crafting Timers (Choose desired length.)
    Cheaty Instant option (No Timers)
    Easy option (Short Timers)
    Normal option (Normal Timers)
    Long option (Double Normal Timers)

Menu:
    Other Possible Configurable Options

Start Game

Maybe this time you actually understand what is written.
    edited August 2016
    And yet another who doesn't seem to understand what exactly is written.

Apparently you don't understand the layout of that post. I'm a web coder and that is my way of layout menu items/subitems.
    Cheaty option (No Timers)
    Maybe this time you actually understand what is written.

The fact you are STILL reffering to no timers it as "Cheaty", is where the issues are clear. It represents a clear, in writing lack of respect for that viewpoint.

Despite trying to phrase it like you actually care about the option, or want some kind of "Middle ground", if anything it only makes your lack of respect for anything but timers even more clear. Because you are literally calling it CHEATING. Even if a mere unintentional Freudian post.

I may as well say "Oh, okay. Let's have-
    Reasonable: No timers.
    Fake difficulty: Timers"

That would be pretty disrespectful wouldn't it. If I take the exact same thing you are saying, and flip it around. Suddenly it's pretty insulting of your preference and mindset while acting like the other is what should be the proper standard.

Repeating yourself doesn't change that.

EDIT: I am going to be optimistic and assume you are trying to get a good point across. But, if getting what you told somebody repeated back to you changes it into an insult to YOU, (Oh, long timers? Yeah that's cheating. Totally cheaty hacking the gameplay for personal reasons. No timers is Normal.) Then you at the very least need to reconsider how you present your argument.
    edited August 2016
    I'm actually pulling that label from another EA game on Steam.

How about this label:

Instant option (no timers)

By no means am I saying no timers is a cheaty option, it was just a Label nothing more nothing less. Some would call instant crafting cheating, but I see it as what ever floats your boat.
    @GlyphGryph

It was the basic idea I was trying to get across. Add a menu or what have you to let each person decide certain aspects of the mode he or she wishes to play. While some games modes make the configuration section un-needed, there are a few other modes that could benefit from it. Also by having that kind of system I was suggesting it would eliminate or maybe greatly reduce the arguing over such things as then if you choose the wrong option you would need to start over.

Even a simple toggle would probably work.

Timers
    No Timers

I don't care either way honestly. I try to with hold final judgments on such things until the game is finalized in a sense.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited August 2016
    Haha, EnglishInfidel did you seriously just deride me for telling the devs what to do and then immediately state how glad you are they did what other people told them to do

More selective ignorance.
    Nobody but you has attempted to tell the devs what to do.
    There's a big difference between telling the devs "I don't enjoy this part of the game" (which is what you've constantly done here yourself, after all) and telling them "Don't listen to this guy, because he has contempt towards me boo hoo hoo".

And what's more important, is that you know it full well. You'll need more than these ad hominems and strawmen arguments. You're deliberately baiting me at this point.
    I have to say, it's very hard to maintain a civilised attitude towards you when you present this childish nonsense.

Focus on trying to persuade people your opinion makes sense, and leave me out of it.

I tried to show you some consideration and come to a place we could move forward respectfully, but you've done nothing but continue hypocritically with the very "thinly veiled insults" you complained about a long time ago.

Simply put, leave me alone, I have less than contempt towards you in particular now. Congratulations.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    It was the basic idea I was trying to get across. Add a menu or what have you to let each person decide certain aspects of the mode he or she wishes to play. While some games modes make the configuration section un-needed, there are a few other modes that could benefit from it. Also by having that kind of system I was suggesting it would eliminate or maybe greatly reduce the arguing over such things as then if you choose the wrong option you would need to start over.

Okay, I'm sorry for doubting your intent initially. To be honest, this is certainly an option. For my game that I mentioned earlier, this is exactly how we resolved this issue - we added extremely robust configuration and mod support to let people customize their experience. And I think for that game (a rather well liked hard-core survival game for the sort of people who would happily dig through pages of configurations to optimize their experience) it worked - for something like subnautica, which is generally a much tighter experience that is focused largely on thematics and has a larger and more casual player base, I don't think it's a good solution.

For that sort of audience, you need to group the configs into a handful of modes, and that's the only solution I can see the subnautica devs embracing - but whenever it happens, hard-core difficulty lovers like myself inevitably get lumped in with the faux-realism-fanatics and I end up completely spaced out of the game - I either need to play below my desired challenge level, or accept a bunch of flow-breaking, narrative-diminishing tedium.

If we could add some sort of mode with a clear, descriptive, non-judgemental name (Hell, why not "Realistic" mode?) for that sort of people with all of their desired configs, I'd be fine with that, from a player perspective.

But the Devs have good reason not to be - every additional mode means more work supporting it and making sure it still works and plays as well as it can, which makes balance much more difficult, and it's already a time consuming part of game dev.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    So who’s on board for one week to craft a seamoth and one month to craft a cyclops :D
    edited August 2016
    Fun trumps realism. Unless its something major that destroys your suspension of disbelief like the aurora crashing because a skyray went into its engine, fun always trumps realism. Should we have to endure nitrogen narcosis when we go too deep? How about decompression sickness when you ascend too fast? I dont see why crafting has to take so long when all it does is force you to stop for 4 minutes. Its boring, useless and nobody likes this feature except for a few people.

You joke, but that's exactly the kind of thing this sort of person actually asks for, down to people requesting hour+ waits in decompression chambers. Seen it plenty over on the steam forums for example. And people who want your base to flood when you enter your hatch because hatches are freely placed on the side of corridors, etc.

It's amazing how often the "Realism!" card is only played when it would be inconvenient. But gets thrown in the trash as soon as realism would add QoL improvements.

In the end, Realism actually IS secondary to game design to these people... It's just that Realism is a convenient, and convincing at first glance PR spin to justify your preferences. Even Developers will do it Elite dangerous is lousy with it for example, and here is one of the more common specific cases brought up over and over.

Hey can we have tractor beams to collect ore and cargo (These drones are buggy as hell)
    "Sorry! Tractor beams are not realistic! And it does not fit with the series lore. Out of our hands."

Oh, okay. Can we get realistic asteroids with chunks of metal larger than the biggest playable ship that don't run out of ore after a few scrapings? Can we get the lore friendly set and forget mining devices from the previous games?
    "What? No. Those don't fit with our design intentions. Why would realism or lore matter?"

Even in this game, if you bring up IN GAME LORE, such as the PDA survivor logs, realism doesn't matter to those players anymore because it does not fit their game play preferences.

Such as alternative stalker teeth options. Which come in violent knife fighting (Where people just try to deflect with how much of a CoD moron you are). And NONviolent, by taking them directly from the containment tank rather than playing RNG scrap fetch (Where they deflect and call you lazy).

As soon as "Realism in gaming" is not to their tastes... Suddenly, realism isn't so important to the people saying it's the most important reason anymore.

Hopefully, we get those "Realistic" options stated in game implemented some day (Off in the Steam forums, the Devs have admitted they are misleading), instead of the writers quietly editing those PDA files to not mention it anymore. But they already were willing to admit it was misleading to state all these cool, realistic, and practical options not allowed to us in game. Which puts them ahead of the curve compared to a lot of developers there. So I'm optimistic they will rise to the task rather than simply cut it and shrug out an apology.
  • DarkiLorditoDarkiLordito Brazil Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221309Members
    So, i haven't seen anyone saying but.... If im crafting a Seaglide, i clearly have the resources. So why should i go get more for 3 minutes? I wound't be making a Seaglide if i needed more resources.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I'm visualizing seriously messed-up people standing in front a microwave, pulling their hair and doing the pee-pee dance, while waiting for their cup of sixty second noodles to finish.

Y'know, back in the days of Star Wars Galaxies, I had a test that I made people to perform if they wanted to join our guild of elite TIE pilots: They had to bring me ten fish that they caught. Didn't matter what kind, didn't matter where they got them from. See, fishing was tedious. Fishing was dull. Fishing required patience. A person who didn't have the patience to catch a fish was someone who didn't have the patience to sit through flying lessons, stay in formation or be a cohesive member of a team (and teamwork was everything in a TIE squadron). It was my way of weeding out the ADD kids who would only turn into whinny little snots later down the line.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I'm visualizing seriously messed-up people standing in front a microwave, pulling their hair and doing the pee-pee dance, while waiting for their cup of sixty second noodles to finish.

+1.

I remember doing similar things to your story of SWG when I used to play Tribal Wars many, many years ago.
    Sending the new blood on lengthy, pointless quests to sort the wheat from the chaff, good times. Elitism is fantastic.

Don't worry, when these peasants are up against against the wall because us NWO members have had enough, once and for all, then we can have a drink and laugh about this.