Confusion about oxygen

WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
I find myself suffering from some confusion about some of the game mechanics

Why does an oxygen tank (I'm assuming that it is equivalent to a modern 12 liter 200 bar scuba tank with about 1 hr capacity at 10 meters) have less capacity than the player holding their breath and freediving?
(45 second player lung capacity vs 30 seconds in a tank) keep in mind the human lung holds about 6 liters of air and the standard scuba tank I mentioned holds 2400 liters.

I understand that some realism has to be sacrificed for better gameplay and the game doesn't have to be completely accurate... but the concept of a human being having more lung capacity than a scuba tank... I just cant wrap my head around that. That implies that the in-game o2 tank only contains 4 liters of air, enough for 2/3 of a breath.

Comments

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited August 2016
    (This is my headcanon, and is therefore probably wrong.)

The 45 second base time is not free-diving, it's the standard air supply built into the survival mask itself. The additional air tanks are to augment this. (You're breathing normally via the mask underwater, not holding your breath.)

Yes, the actual durations are shorter than they should realistically be, but this is for gameplay purposes to limit your initial diving ability. You also don't get the bends or similar complaints despite deep diving, because that's no fun either. (And if you're nitpicking realism, you might wonder why the O2 goes down at the same speed regardless of whether you're exerting yourself or not.)
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    There is a console command to change this if you want. If you type NITROGEN you have longer underwater time and it also adds the faction of decompression sickness if you're not careful.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Also, time is compressed in game (note the day/night cycle). You aren't matching 1 second real time to 1 second in game time, with the O2 counter.
  • SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    Not to mention said tank somehow instantly refills by surfacing.
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Also, time is compressed in game (note the day/night cycle). You aren't matching 1 second real time to 1 second in game time, with the O2 counter.

Day/Night cycle is actually different on every stellar body. The rotation speed of planets is different from each other. Its the same for length of a year. If a planet orbits closer to the sun the years go by faster.

You could, however, argue that the appetite of our charcter grows too fast to be normal time :p

For the air tanks, i tell myself most of the space in it is taken by a compressor to refill fast at the surface.
    Or maybe the atmospheric pressure of the planet is much higher than on earth. Wouldnt that explain the faster depletion?
    It is, however, SciFi, so the tank capacity of Titanium-Tanks is probably higher than our steeltanks aswell.

Theres so many arguments, the only good answer is game design everytime...
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    We're not even a human, who knows how fast we take in oxygen.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Not to mention said tank somehow instantly refills by surfacing.

Which brings me to the idea of a "Realistic Mode" running parallel to hardcore, in which the nitrogen/bends effects are turned on automatically, air is measured in minutes instead of seconds, and air tanks have to be refilled on machines like batteries.
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    We're not even a human

Uh... what?