Crafting speed

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    And again, you don't have to watch the whole thing.
    If I'm making something - I need it. I need it now. That's why I've returned to my base in the first place. It already took time to return from wherever I was exploring. I already spend a lot of time collecting raw resources. I want my reward for it.

Heck in TES series many players are annoyed by the amount of time it takes to sell the loot, while it definitely faster than 210 seconds.

Subnautica is not some silly iPad Farm game that people play to kill time at work, where it takes hours or so to grow stuff.

We're talking 4 minutes maximum. Do you get upset when you have to microwave something for 4 minutes? Because you really need that lunch now, which is the whole reason you went to your kitchen in the first place? Because it already took time to get it and put it in the microwave? NO! Or at least you shouldn't, because if you've ever had used a microwave in your life, you know that that amount of time will go by like that. That's not even mentioning that the only things you actually NEED are food and water, and those times haven't been changed. You want your new futuristic tool. So saying "I need it now" just makes you sound spoiled, and its certainly not going to get you anywhere.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Instant gratification addicts...
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited August 2016
    all procees of manufacturing in this game looking like a some sort of 3D printing...
    And about 'wasting time' - i will be more grateful if Devs make a process entering to base with animation: open outer door->enter to airlock->close the outer door behind->drain water->open inner door. JUST I LOVE REALISM.
    You know what i miss in shooter' games? fitting bullets into clip for reloading gun. I hate that idea - when you just walk through dropped gun and you've got its ammo. IMHO
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited August 2016
    Mr_Endar, you've got your opinion, we've got ours. Its just great, 'cause Devs got they own opinion and some time any our ideas can help em in developing of this game. I like you style of chatting here. Its not boorish, but reasoned. I'm always respect people like you. Even if our opinions does not match
    Thank you very much for absolutely making my point. While the fabricator is crafting, GO. DO. SOMETHING. ELSE.
    What exactly?
    Like ALT+TAB and watch some youtube video or go complain on Subnautica forum about questionable game design decision... kinda I'm doing right now?

This is a game, not a real life. It is expected to be entertaining. Games are about having fun.

Go gather more materials. Build some habitat modules. Make a massive dong out of corridor pieces. My point is, perhaps take advantage of the fact that you can still paly the game while your item is being crafted, a concept which you seem to have not grasped, and do something else. Its 4 minutes. Are you really that impatient?

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited August 2016
    Thank you very much for absolutely making my point. While the fabricator is crafting, GO. DO. SOMETHING. ELSE.
    What exactly?
    Like ALT+TAB and watch some youtube video or go complain on Subnautica forum about questionable game design decision... kinda I'm doing right now?

This is a game, not a real life. It is expected to be entertaining. Games are about having fun.

Go gather more materials. Build some habitat modules. Make a massive dong out of corridor pieces. My point is, perhaps take advantage of the fact that you can still paly the game while your item is being crafted, a concept which you seem to have not grasped, and do something else. Its 4 minutes. Are you really that impatient?

The longer crafting times are for the most part and thankfully on the complex items you'll only make a few of and not the crafted items you'll be making in massive numbers. If the Ingots took two minutes to make, THAT would be annoying. Especially since between the subs themselves and their pressure compensators, you'll be making a lot of them.

Waiting a few minutes for a tool you'll probably only build once (unless you lose it somehow) is largely okay in my humble opinion, especially since - as repeated by several others as well as myself - you don't need to stand there and watch it. If Subnautica required you to stand by the Fabricator and watch the whole 1 ~ 4 minute crafting, I could see that as being a real problem.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I seriously can't wrap my head around why people are so upset about this.

Look the bottom line is the devs have a clear "vision" for this game, and if this is apart of that "vision" then they are adding it for a reason. Now this could be looked at a couple different ways, either that build times fit into the games technology lore some how and it's either already been explained how the fabricators work or it will be.

From a game play view, it doesn't detract at all from it, in fact I believe it adds to it. Sure it can take forever sometimes to find the fragments and then aquire the materials needed. But during that time I'm seeing the beautiful areas theyve designed. I'm taking my time to search things out, and in a world of instant gratification in video games this is a breath of fresh air so to speak. Not only is there now a "build up" in excitement almost like Christmas before my new tools are cooked. But it also adds to the resource management side of things.. longer build times means more power, more prep time before hand which to me translates to a more fleshed out gaming experience. Not just an artificial experience like 90% of the other games out there that has saturated the markets.

The way I've always looked at this game is. Everything I'm building should be equally matched in both materials and time, so when I'm able to build the cyclops on 5 stretched extremely thin ingots and less wires then would be in my car and then topped off with an almost instant build time that to me completely ruins immersion, I more then jump on board with build times that make sense.

And as stated by @Lonnehart, I would love to see how these people handle War Frame, where almost EVERYTHING takes hours and days to build not mere seconds and minutes. Again tho to me waiting 3 days for a new "character" to be built that I'll get weeks of game play out of is worth the wait!
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    If I'm making something - I need it. I need it now. That's why I've returned to my base in the first place. It already took time to return from wherever I was exploring. I already spend a lot of time collecting raw resources. I want my reward for it.

Heck in TES series many players are annoyed by the amount of time it takes to sell the loot, while it definitely faster than 210 seconds.

Subnautica is not some silly iPad Farm game that people play to kill time at work, where it takes hours or so to grow stuff.

That's not what Subnautica's about, though. It's about surviving in this new world. To survive you have to have a plan. You have to know what you're doing, you have to know in what order to craft things. If you need filtered water and a seaglide, you have to think to make the water first, then make a seaglide because that will take longer. No, it's not a Facebook farming game, it's far from it because in those you DO have to sit and wait for what you're building to build. But in Subnautica there's a whole new world to explore, outwards and downwards. Subnautica is rarely about "having every second count", it's rarely about "staying on your toes". It's about exploration, it's about taking in this beautiful world, it's about finding all of the wonderful creatures in that world, it truly is about the journey. If there somehow is nothing else to do whilst your flashlight crafts, explore this amazing place, swim over the Grassy Plateau, discover the giants that swim above it and ride with them, venture down the blood kelp caves, cut through the Kelp Forest, collect fragments as you explore, find your way to the very edges of the world in the dangerous dunes or the grand reef. Experience the stories of the Degasi survivors, follow their legacy. And when you get back you'll have your item crafted and the materials to make a new one. You put that on craft and do it again.

That's what Subnautica's about.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    My thoughts:

Well I started new game yesterday in experimental and I have absolutely no problem with the waiting. To me, it just makes more sense for the game, that those things take time. In a strange way, it is more satisfying (uh, weird I know). After establishing first base with decent amount of power (multipurpose room + bioreactor and so on...) and creating two fabricators, it is not a problem at all. And there just is enough other things you can do while crafting. It depends on player. But I love it <3:D

And yes, as @Jamezorg and other said: YOU NEED A PLAN TO SURVIVE, DON'T WAIT! :D
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    and IntrpidH, you belong to side who thinks 4 minute IRL food isn't fast enough:S no seriously this adds bit onto realism side and such waits arent bad ...like numerous times explained adjusted time only lengthens advanced tools crafting and only people who see problem on this new speed are impatient ones who likely irl think 5seconds to pick up any food is too slow speed
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    While it doesn't bother me to the extent that it does some others, I do think that extended crafting times is not a good change, for most of the same reasons that others have stated more eloquently.

Having said that, there is one case where a longer crafting time is good: when first building my Cyclops in stable I noticed that it took significantly longer than other things, and this contributed to the sense of "epic accomplishment" (the satisfying splash at the end also helps).

Having said that, I am not suggesting increasing the crafting time of the Cyclops. It could perhaps stand to be lengthened by about ten seconds, but any more than this would just be annoying. And it's important that the other tools you've crafted prior to this should take less time to craft, which appears to no longer be the case.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    This thread quickly devolved into dog-piling to coerce the developers with a "popularity" vote into discarding their design decisions.
    Little more than elaborate, passive aggressive bullying.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Wow it's incredible how many butt-hurt newcomers have appeared due to this issue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the devs have a tough job, people have been asking for more realism for a long time and they're trying to find some balance.
    (I don't agree 100% this is the best way to please those people, but I can somewhat understand why they've done what they've done.)

Like all issues, really, finding fragments, collecting resources, waiting for plants to grow, anything...

it comes down to a choice between "Here's everything, immediately, you have access but you'll probably get bored quickly and play for about 5 hours all together."
    or...
    "This is a game you will have to put a lot of time into, gathering resources, finding fragments, waiting for things to be built, and if you like that kind of thing you'll play for 30+ hours multiple times."

And this...
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    4) "It's about exploration" - Uh... what? This one doesn't even make any sense. At least it's not a thinly veiled insult (I think)? Just nonsense.
    is ridiculous I'm afraid. The devs have stated, very clearly, multiple times, they want exploration to be the primary focus of the game.
    Not base building.
    Not escaping the planet.
    Not any other end-game event that may or may not end up in there.
    Exploration.

And it just seems that if you're not willing to wait a mere minute or so for something to be built, while you pop outside for that time and just exist, wander off a bit, watch some fish, whatever, then you're doing it wrong and you're playing the wrong game for you.
    Fathom wrote: »
    This thread quickly devolved into dog-piling to coerce the developers with a "popularity" vote into discarding their design decisions.

Exactly. I for one am glad to be a part of the camp who want the game the Devs want to make.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    edited August 2016
    "It's about exploration" - Uh... what? This one doesn't even make any sense. At least it's not a thinly veiled insult (I think)? Just nonsense.
    is ridiculous I'm afraid. The devs have stated, very clearly, multiple times, they want exploration to be the primary focus of the game.
    Not base building.
    Not escaping the planet.
    Not any other end-game event that may or may not end up in there.
    Exploration.

I wasn't saying exploration doesn't make sense, I was saying the argument that this is good because exploration is good doesn't make any sense. Please, you can't be this stupid, so don't act that way.

Exploration is why I play the game, which is why I am opposed to spending my time dealing with mind-numbing tedium when I could be getting back to exploring, and good games turning into boring grindfests always seems to start with garbage like this. What's ridiculous was the original claim that this somehow supports exploration or your even more ridiculous followup.

It does absolutely nothing to encourage exploration. It practically begs you to require you to spend time not-exploring. You're hardly going to go exploring during a 7 second cooldown, and 90 seconds isn't much of an opportunity to explore either... and what exactly do you think I am planning on doing when they are done crafting, a state I'd arrive at much more quickly without an imposed time delay?

Oh yeah, that's right, go exploring.

This is an anti-exploration feature if anything. It penalizes people for exploring, and then chains them to their base while they wait for their crafts to "cook". I don't see how anyone who likes exploring could possibly support this sort of thing.
    it comes down to a choice between "Here's everything, immediately, you have access but you'll probably get bored quickly and play for about 5 hours all together."
    or...
    "This is a game you will have to put a lot of time into, gathering resources, finding fragments, waiting for things to be built, and if you like that kind of thing you'll play for 30+ hours multiple times."

This is the worst nonsense of all. No one is arguing for instant access to everything - they are arguing that we shouldn't need to waste our time doing nothing when we could be doing something. And "waiting for things" is very much a standout "unfun" activity that almost everyone agrees is unfun, unlike you know everything else on your list.

Why don't you actually try to explain what this is supposed to add to the game - how exactly wait timers would make the average player spend more time exploring instead of less? Since right now you're certainly stating it, but you've done nada to actually explain how that could even conceivably work.
    Ahahah, disliking a "feature" that exists solely to waste the time of players is bullying now? Wowee.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members

Exactly. I for one am glad to be a part of the camp who want the game the Devs want to make.

Exactly so! At the end of the day this game is their vision not ours! And as I stated above they have to be doing this for a reason we may not know what that reason is as of yet but I personally have faith in them!

IDK how many times now I've seen people jumping down their throats for adding in a new mechanic or changing something here and there, just to back down later on when it's been fully fleshed out and implemented.

This has JUST came out of the oven guys. Give it time to cool down before you bite into it and spit it out..