Crafting speed

InfidelGBInfidelGB England Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221154Members
Playing the experimental verison i notice that there is now a crafting timer on tools and such. Im not sure of the need for such a thing waiting 2 min or more while the fabricator crafts new tools and equipment seems just pointless and annoying. when i craft things its always because ive just spent time previously gathering the mats and getting the blueprints for it then to have to stand around waiting for it to craft is irritating to say the least.

Comments

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    cooking the fish is not problem, its fast still:) also while in base you might just want to invest in marble melons:)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Sounds great to me. The only way it could be improved is making the time even longer, a few minutes is still too fast.

+1 Devs.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited August 2016
    I don't mind having to wait for more complex things to materialize, but i wonder why this isn't also a thing with building?
    Why is it you have to wait longer for a SeaGlide to be made than a Moon Pool or the Cyclops? Will we now see longer build times for rooms and such? I know it may not be a popular decision, but doesn't having to make 2 or 3 dives to complete construction on a Moon Pool make sense (not to mention having it completely drain the battery in your habitat builder)?
    Opinions?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I don't mind having to wait for more complex things to materialize, but i wonder why this isn't also a thing with building?
    Why is it you have to wait longer for a SeaGlide to be made than a Moon Pool or the Cyclops? Will we now see longer build times for rooms and such? I know it may not be a popular decision, but doesn't having to make 2 or 3 dives to complete construction on a Moon Pool make sense (not to mention having it completely drain the battery in your habitat builder)?
    Opinions?

Unless they added the ability to build from your Seamoth/Cyclops, I imagine that'd be one of those mechanics I'd stay away from for the sake of "Gameplay Fun > Realism" since if it took several minutes+ to build a Moonpool and you only have so much oxygen... Well, I guess it also depends on how many air tanks you took with you so maybe it wouldn't be too bad... Tedious, but not too bad.

As for the crafting itself, I don't mind it. If it required you to sit there and babysit it for that 40 ~ 90 seconds, that would get a little tiresome. Instead, I just head back out into the depths to continue searching for fragments, exploring, and gathering/hunting while I wait for my complex tool to finish being crafted. Most of the staples like food and resources still craft quickly, so bulk craft items shouldn't be a problem. It's just the large complex tools :)
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    current is only 90sec, nothing too bad, bulk materials such as cooking products (this includes water) are near instant and hopefully kept that way, and I too think most complex ones could take even longer to craft (like seaglide , stasis rifle, propulsion gun,gravi sphere) where as 90 sec would be kept on mid tier teches such as beacon and current generator.
    also knife 90sec isnt problem at all ...just plan ahead and pre-emtively craft new one before old worns out
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited August 2016
    Sounds great to me. The only way it could be improved is making the time even longer, a few minutes is still too fast.

+1 Devs.

So you want to wait for 10min while you Knife is built, or your water is synthesised? When its should take 4 to 8 seconds max.

Absolutely. It makes sense realistically. But the devs have to find balance, if things took a long time then the average gamer will complain (as we see here) but if it's too quick the game becomes way too easy (as it currently is, anyway. Crafting needs a huge overhaul before release, especially when it comes to how much of each material it takes to build things. Eg; the Cyclops should take more like 50 ingots and a great time investment in collecting enough stuff.)

I know we're the minority, and it would never be that way because the game has to appeal to a wide crowd of people who don't want to spend hours grinding towards small goals, but there's still quite a few people on these forums I know for a fact would love it exactly that way. Maybe we're masochistic, or crazy, but we want to be challenged and immersed as much as possible.

Anyway this is a discussion that's been done to death recently, so that's all there is to say I think. Just know there's a variety of people with very different ideas of what would be "right" for the game, the devs have to find the balance. I don't envy them that job.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    edited August 2016
    @EnglishInfidel you summarized the whole issue well and I agree with all points, especially with in how difficult position the devs are. I am the "masochist" type, I guess :D I would like the cyclops to take longer to create with more resources.

And this makes time resource too right from the beginning. The (new) player must recogize that, the crafting has to have some order to make the gameplay efficient (hunger/thirst with one fabricator).

Should the times differ in every mode?? I think the hardcore should be hardcore...
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited August 2016
    Crafting Timer? Well f---k; I experienced this...

My response: *sits and waits for item to craft. Watches food/water tick down... Hears cricket noises.*

Just something else to 'pad' the game length I guess...

Gathering resources is tedious enough, but now this?

Well, it's their game; all we can do is lump it. *waits for item to craft. Frustration rises...*

"Come on! F*** hurry up and craft!!!"

Are we sure one of the Devs didn't crib an idea from Microsoft?

... so we build something on one Fabricator which ties up that Fabricator so then we have to build more Fabricators which then become tied up resulting in the need to build more Fa--

"Mild dehydration detected..."

"Oh, f--k!"
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You can do something else while your stuff is crafting. Or do you sit in front of the Water Filtration Machine, too, waiting for your bottle to be finished?

We will need more silver, though, for all the new Fabricators. Maybe there will be silver in currently gold only nodes.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited August 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    You can do something else while your stuff is crafting. Or do you sit in front of the Water Filtration Machine, too, waiting for your bottle to be finished?

We will need more silver, though, for all the new Fabricators. Maybe there will be silver in currently gold only nodes.

Just go find one of the new massive silver chunks and mine that shit with your Exosuit.
  • InfidelGBInfidelGB England Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221154Members
    Perhaps a solution could be some kind of extra game mode or tickbox option for realism mode so those that like the long crafting time and such can have that and those that arent a fan of waiting dont have to?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Next up: Habitat building requires construction drones that slowly print out the modules while the Habitat Builder tool is only used directly for Appliances. To initiate the module building process, you use the Habitat Builder to place the ghost and then hold the mouse for a bit to activate the drones. Same with deconstruction.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    I want to come back to the building time of seabase modules again.
    I can see two possibilities to add build time:
    1: We build a kind of "frame" with the habitat builder which continues to build the module without us. If you want a good example look up a video of Supreme Commander 2 and look at the base building animation.
    2: We get a comlete overhaul of the habitat builder model so that it basically uses the drones of the mobile vehicle bay. You initiate the building process and the drone/s continue to build while you do something else.
    I favor option 2. Any thoughts?
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    MAKE IT FASTER LIKE 30 SECONDS OR SOMTHING!!! I HAVE TO USE CHEATS TO ENJOY THE EXOSUIT AND AURORA NOW....:(
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I stated in creative and started crafting a seaglide it took 6min! That is far too long 20sec I can have but not 5min.

The seaglide does not take 6 minutes. Currently the time is set at 210 seconds.

You can see all the crafting times here (the numbers are in seconds) :
    { TechType.Knife, 3f },
    { TechType.Fins, 3f },
    { TechType.Tank, 4f },
    { TechType.Lead, 5f },
    { TechType.Polyaniline, 5f },
    { TechType.AramidFibers, 5f },
    { TechType.Graphene, 5f },
    { TechType.AdvancedWiringKit, 5f },
    { TechType.PowerCell, 5f },
    { TechType.TitaniumIngot, 6f },
    { TechType.PlasteelIngot, 6f },
    { TechType.LithiumIonBattery, 6f },
    { TechType.Stillsuit, 7f },
    { TechType.RadiationSuit, 7f },
    { TechType.ReinforcedDiveSuit, 7f },
    { TechType.DiveReel, 7f },
    { TechType.Rebreather, 7f },
    { TechType.PlasteelTank, 7f },
    { TechType.HighCapacityTank, 7f },
    // up to 90 seconds
    { TechType.CurrentGenerator, 90f },
    { TechType.Gravsphere, 90f },
    { TechType.Scanner, 90f },
    { TechType.LEDLight, 90f },
    { TechType.Beacon, 90f },
    { TechType.Flashlight, 90f },
    { TechType.Welder, 90f },
    { TechType.SmallStorage, 90f },
    // up to 120 seconds
    { TechType.LaserCutter, 120f },
    { TechType.Builder, 120f },
    { TechType.SwimChargeFins, 120f },
    // up to 210 seconds
    { TechType.Seaglide, 210f },
    { TechType.PropulsionCannon, 210f },
    { TechType.StasisRifle, 210f },
    { TechType.RepulsionCannon, 210f },
    { TechType.Transfuser, 210f },
    { TechType.Terraformer, 210f },
    // up to 240 seconds
    { TechType.Constructor, 240f },
    { TechType.PowerGlide, 240f },
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Wow, people are getting upset over a maximum of 4 minutes? Seriously people. Go do something else while it's crafting.

I imagine these people pulling their hair out when playing Warframe (where the Warframes themselves take three days to craft... not to mention the time it takes to manufacture its components at 12 hours minimum).
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    I imagine these people pulling their hair out when playing Warframe (where the Warframes themselves take three days to craft... not to mention the time it takes to manufacture its components at 12 hours minimum).
    During week-end I usually play StarCraft 2 where big battles take few seconds of time.

I also play Team Fortress 2 where every second counts. Those ~5 seconds during construction of the sentry seems like eternity=)
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Wow, people are getting upset over a maximum of 4 minutes? Seriously people. Go do something else while it's crafting.

Exactly what I do. If it's gonna take more than thirty seconds, then I head back out and keep gathering resources. The game doesn't require you to sit there and twiddle your thumbs while crafting is going on like a few other games I've played....... Starbound and Runes of Magic both had some fairly lengthy crafting recipes, and if you so much as moved it'd cancel the whole thing.

A few of those on there I could see being a bit faster, but it's really not that bad especially since you don't have to baby sit it while it's doing its thing.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited August 2016
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    During week-end I usually play StarCraft 2 where big battles take few seconds of time.

I also play Team Fortress 2 where every second counts. Those ~5 seconds during construction of the sentry seems like eternity=)

Yay!! You Also can watch video movie by looking at start and finish scene - for what spend your time if you can to know at start its finale? XD
    As someone told before - these things add the realism to game. and we are not 'spend our time' to playing in THIS game. We are taking pleasure while playing... If you so hurry-busy-person - for what you playing at last?
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    Yay!! You Also can watch video movie by looking at start and finish scene - for what spend your time if you can to know at start its finale? XD
    Movie has plot and lots of enjoyable scenes. Long fabrication animation doesn't. It looked cool when stuff is manufactured out of seemingly thing air in a matter of a second. 30 seconds - way too long.
    As someone told before - these things add the realism to game
    Realism is bad when it harms gameplay.
    We are taking pleasure while playing
    You are taking pleasure by waiting for object being manufactured and doing nothing? you are strange.
    for what you playing at last?
    I play games for beautiful views and music, interesting stories, entertaining gameplay, accomplishment of something hard and adrenaline rush (boss fight in dark souls or hard match in SC2 or Dead Space).

Waiting eternity for fabricator to manufacture something is boring.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Movie has plot and lots of enjoyable scenes. Long fabrication animation doesn't. It looked cool when stuff is manufactured out of seemingly thing air in a matter of a second. 30 seconds - way too long.
    As someone told before - these things add the realism to game
    Realism is bad when it harms gameplay.
    We are taking pleasure while playing
    You are taking pleasure by waiting for object being manufactured and doing nothing? you are strange.
    for what you playing at last?
    I play for beautiful views, interesting stories, entertaining gameplay and adrenaline rush (boss fight in dark souls or hard match in SC2 or Dead Space).

Waiting eternity for fabricator to manufacture something is boring.

That kind of realism might not harm gameplay for a lot of people. It's all about finding the balance. And again, you don't have to watch the whole thing.