Biggest scare you ever got from gaming

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited August 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So this here thread hmm, it's not all about NS2, but you can of course use NS2 as a reference... So... Please, I dun wanna be banned to the off-topic forums, that place is scary empty and I think someone farted there... May I please stay here and play? Anyways, slap down your biggest scare you got from a game here, can be a jump scare or a horror story... And go... Also please use this template I'm using with the fancy quote and bold title...

Mine was actually in Counterstrike waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back:

My buddy and I were doing a 1v1 sniper duel on cs_italy, now that map is of course well known for it's chickens. Imagine me, sneaking around the market place, trying to firgure out where my buddy Madman was. SUDDENLY a chicken explodes right next to me from his AWP... He didn't actyually spot me, he just choose to randomly SHOOT THE DAMN CHICKEN RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!

I literally jumped out of my chair and my mouse indeed went flying, with him going on Teamspeak "dude wtf is going on?". Good thing I don't do wireless :D

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have fallen out of my chair a few times from a good skulk ambush. Good times.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hm... I'll assume we don't count jumpscares (those are cheap and not very memorable), but rather moments that emerge from the mechanics of the game...

It's surprisingly hard to recall these moments. I've been scared by games often, but I can't think of anything specific. Best I can come up with:
    Alien Isolation had it's moments, especially in the nest.
    Best I can come up with right now is Limbo. That fucking spider. Christ. I can handle pretty much everything games throw at me but I hate fucking giant spiders. Absolutely terrifying.
    On a somewhat higher level, brain function wise, I did an XCOM: EU classic iron man run once (I won; brag brag). Some of the missions were really, really scary. Although less in a sense of "being terrified" and more in a sense of "being really tense and focused and really afraid of fucking up".
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2016
    Going through the GFS Valhalla as a kid was pretty damn scary.

Now I'm totally comfortable with it though, I even find it kind of cool to explore.
    latest?cb=20080804025453
    Going in there was nightmare fuel...
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think I recall two different scenarios:
    Thief: The Dark Project - So much for action heroics

I was playing the map The Lost Cathedral. I was exploring a haunted part of the city and trying to find may way to the cathedral itself. Most of the streets were littered with zombies and somehow I found myself cornered in an alleyway with a locked door. The return route was blocked by a horde of zombies I didn't feel like fighting, so I figured out I'll escape by picking the lock and facing whatever there's behind the door.

I started picking the lock. The picking progressed painfully slow and all the time I heard the zombie moaning and groaning approaching behind my back. The zombies were right behind me when the lock finally gave a satisfying clacking sound. Hearing the groans I didn't even have to look back to know how much of a close call it was. I pushed the door open and charged in while drawing my sword and preparing to cut down whatever might try to block my escape there.

While charging in, I had time to catch a brief glimpse at the seemingly empty room. Then suddenly a cracking KABOOM mixed up with a sharp yell of pain from my own character. I fall to the ground and the screen slowly fades to black.

Apparently I had stepped on some weird steampunk mine right at the doorstep.

That's the only time in my gaming years that I've actually had to sit down a while and just wait till the trembling goes away.

Another one doesn't have quite as good of a narrative, but a surpringly tense scenario anyway:
    I was playing System Shock 2 quite recently.

This was my first character, but I had picked the hardest difficulty anyway. As a result I picked completely ill-fitted skill build for suriviving the game. Things got really tense when I started to run out of armor piercing rounds and figured out the most likely place I could find them was in a dark unexplored warehouse. I could hear monsters talking and moaning in the various levels of warehouse while I desperately scavenged for ammo. Most of all I was hoping not to face any of those kamikaze service robots that could only be killed with armor piercing ammo.

The whole situation was insanely tense. I was low on everything, counting ammo and I could constantly hear the creepy monster noises around me. It was one of the few gaming experiences where I felt like the game wasn't actively trying to save me and there wasn't going to be any kind of saving grace if I didn't manage to scavenge more ammo before something found me. Also, the game is clunky and limited enough that I couldn't just magically first person shoot my way out with years of gaming experience. I really was struggling to survive on my own against whatever there was in the dark.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Resident Evil: Nemesis

Every time the nemesis jumps out from seemingly nowhere and starts chasing you, thinking you're safe from entering a room, only to have him barge through the door or window.

Many stains were made.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Wasn't necessarily in-game, but was because I was playing a game. Was playing Dead Space, or Amnesia... or something scary, don't remember what it was, but it was super late, I'm the only one still up. Pitch black all around but for the glow of my computer monitors. Suddenly I hear this REALLY loud hissing sound very close. Turns out it was just the water softener doing it's self clean cycle. Never felt chills like that before or since.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I second Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.. Man that game was so damn scary.

Walking down that one hallway in the police precinct when all the zombies suddenly reach their arms through the windows, shattering the glass.. Then the part shortly afterward where that zombie mutant thing leaps through the one way mirror (from a room you JUST cleared seconds ago!) ... but the most scary part was hearing "Staaarrzz" and knowing you were royally ****** with no clue where it was coming from.

Talk about intense... They just don't make games like that anymore.

On a side note how ironic this thread popped up.. Just last night was playing a game on Summit where 3 different Marines were scared so bad by ambushing Aliens at crevice that they jump/walked off the edge. It was hilarious.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Deadspace and off course RE 3 Nemesis - that shit is just wrong. I played that during the day when i was younger. Still didnt sleep right for a few nights lol
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2016
    I often had sweaty palms playing Amnesia. Especially in that dark cellar with those pillars, where you couldn't see anything beyong 5 meters. I kept to the wall to find a door, looked to right and had one of those monsters right in front of me. That really scared the shit out of me. I immediately noped out of there.

That part look me like 30 minutes, because from there on out I've sticked to walking for only 5 meters and waiting for 10 sconds while scanning 360°.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I second Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.. Man that game was so damn scary.

Walking down that one hallway in the police precinct when all the zombies suddenly reach their arms through the windows, shattering the glass.. Then the part shortly afterward where that zombie mutant thing leaps through the one way mirror (from a room you JUST cleared seconds ago!) ... but the most scary part was hearing "Staaarrzz" and knowing you were royally ****** with no clue where it was coming from.

Talk about intense... They just don't make games like that anymore.

On a side note how ironic this thread popped up.. Just last night was playing a game on Summit where 3 different Marines were scared so bad by ambushing Aliens at crevice that they jump/walked off the edge. It was hilarious.

"STAAARS" :smiley:
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    This might sound peculiar, but I got my biggest scare playing Warcraft II xD
    I was around 10 years old when I played it for the first time, I was a bit anxious about the huge black area I havent discovered... but when I stumbled into the enemy base I got so scared (yes, scared! elevated heartbeat, sweating, adrenaline rush xD) that I quit the game and didnt touch it for days.
    I don't remember any game scaring me like that ever since...
    hqdefault.jpg
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    Half Life 2. Ravenholm. First encountering those fast zombie f**ks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The fast zombies did it to you? Not those creepy ass spiders?
    IronHorse wrote: »

Especially since they jump around so much.

You can just chop the zombies in two with saw blade + grav gun
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

Nope. Fast zombies everytime.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Silent Hill 2 without a doubt. The entire game my first time through was terrifying, so much so that it pretty much desensitized me to being afraid of movies/games. I could only play it in 15 minute intervals before having to stop. Good times :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ^that.
    And it wasn't me playing it.
    It was my dad.
    Damn game was so scary i couldn't leave the room for fear of being eaten alive. (i was what, ten?)
    Nothings given me nightmares since then, OH
    Except for one thing.
    PT. But we aren't allowed to talk about that anymore.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Silent Hill 2 when I was young, completely alone, surround sound, in a dark room at midnight.

There wasn't really a surprise like scare, but the atmosphere gave me such an overwhelming feeling of dread that kept me from continuing it.
    Foxy wrote: »

I could never master hitting those headcrabs in mid-air.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited August 2016
    This so scary!: Amnesia Dark Descent :#

but the scariest for me was Kings Quest 8, not really a horror game but really dark atmospheres and it was basically one of the first games I played as a kid. :D
    pc-44229-41337660784.jpg

• VivisectorVivisector Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219168Members
    Probably the water monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I wish I had a unique answer but I don't.

Why do I feel like I'm the only person who wasn't really scared of Ravenholm? And I am normally terrified of horror games. (they are playable if friends are with me, but I find them quite hard to play otherwise)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2016
    coolitic wrote: »

Why do I feel like I'm the only person who wasn't really scared of Ravenholm? And I am normally terrified of horror games. (they are playable if friends are with me, but I find them quite hard to play otherwise)

I think it was a pretty scary level, but simply being Gordon Freeman took away a bit of its scariness. I mean, you could toss saw blades into the monsters faces, which was just amazing back then.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2016
    Bacillus wrote: »
    I think I recall two different scenarios:

Another one doesn't have quite as good of a narrative, but a surpringly tense scenario anyway:

I was playing System Shock 2 quite recently.

This was my first character, but I had picked the hardest difficulty anyway. As a result I picked completely ill-fitted skill build for suriviving the game. Things got really tense when I started to run out of armor piercing rounds and figured out the most likely place I could find them was in a dark unexplored warehouse. I could hear monsters talking and moaning in the various levels of warehouse while I desperately scavenged for ammo. Most of all I was hoping not to face any of those kamikaze service robots that could only be killed with armor piercing ammo.

The whole situation was insanely tense. I was low on everything, counting ammo and I could constantly hear the creepy monster noises around me. It was one of the few gaming experiences where I felt like the game wasn't actively trying to save me and there wasn't going to be any kind of saving grace if I didn't manage to scavenge more ammo before something found me. Also, the game is clunky and limited enough that I couldn't just magically first person shoot my way out with years of gaming experience. I really was struggling to survive on my own against whatever there was in the dark.

Those old games from TLG really hold up well, they are still scary! Even with the dated graphics the atmosphere, lighting and sound really combine to produce that leaves a lasting impression even today.

I remember playing HL1 as a kid, and coming to the section where you first run into that freakish fish thing. Its the part where you have to jump in the diving cage to get the cross bow and are promptly dumped into the water. Well I was so scared of the damn fish that instead of going directly into the cage I decided that I would blow it up first. I took all the explosives which had accumulated over the course of the game and proceeded to go dynamite fishing. The scary part was that I couldn't actually be sure I had killed it, after every explosion I would pause and intently listen to see if I could hear it swimming around. Of course I would never hear anything so I would go ahead and dump in the next load. Eventually I ran out of explosives and had to steel myself to jump into the diving cage. Turns out I had thoroughly vaporized the fish, there wasn't even a body left.

Further down the line there is a section where you have to go along this slippery walkway over a lake with two of those swimming around. Me and my friend were so scared of the things that one of us would take the controls try to make it over the walkway while the other would sit nearby with their hand over the esc button and open the menu the moment we slipped into the water (which happened many times). Good times!