Rookie only server

OmidionOmidion Join Date: 2014-03-06 Member: 194552Members
Hello,

i'm a old player returning after a long break. I see that i can't join rookie servers anymore.
So...i'd like to say that i'm not that good of a player to begin with, i understand the game but i'm a terrible shot, and when i join a rookie server i felt evenly matched.
Now i see that i can't join rookie servers (that usually have room) and...since there are so few players playing NS2, aside from rookie server there are like 2 (non rookie) that are full.
I'm left with two choices that i can see:
1. Join a server with zero players and play with bots and hope someone will join
2. Leave the game and try again when i feel the desire to play. (i usually go for this option, but in 7 out 8 times there isn't any room)

This "rookie only" server thing is a ok idea if there are alot of players...but in this case it just devided the allready small comunity. (btw i had no problems or complaints when i started playing NS2 about veteran players)
Is there a way to flag my self as a rookie (i remember there was an option like that before), and if not...any suggestions ?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    There is no way to flag yourself as a rookie anymore.

The remaining playerbase has been stuck with options 1 and 2 for many years now, except the bots are new. Even before rookie only servers it was like that, except rookies had to play with the highest skill level of players as soon as they started. It is not good to have a top skilled player play with a brand new player. Neither have a good experience.
  • OmidionOmidion Join Date: 2014-03-06 Member: 194552Members
    @SupaFred omg ! :D that is great news, and on the server i remember playing alot :D thanks
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @supafred I am also Struggling, as i cant find a server with Pause in it? #GGPAUSE?

• CB BlackstarCB Blackstar Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172873Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hello,

I have the same problem. I can't play on rookie severs although I am not a good player in NS2. :(
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    perhaps increase the time people that were rookies can play on rookie servers rather then simply just removing rookie status and fucking up someones game time? ps:also my birthday which is NS birthday, happy birthday my favourite game :)
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Now that Hive skill is a thing. It might be a idea to re-open rookie servers to players with Hive skills below a certain threshold - irrespective of how long they've played for.
    Some players may find it a bit condescending though.
  • T6kkeT6kke Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223537Members
    I played several games over the free weekend after a long time. I had about 70h back around the release. Never were super good at the game but had some skill and understanding.

I tried to get into some time later but only played few games and stopped.

So, now as a rookie again, I played several games on Saturday and Sunday and I was surprised to find myself on the top of my team fairly consistently(marines and aliens). I imagine the difficulty spike must be really high when going to non rookie servers.

But my experience does show that skills gained in 2012 still hold up. And I have to say the game still has that magic that I loved back then. I'll continue to play for a while and if I'm able to fit into non rookie servers I'll probably play the game for a long time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    T6kke wrote: »
    I played several games over the free weekend after a long time. I had about 70h back around the release. Never were super good at the game but had some skill and understanding.

I tried to get into some time later but only played few games and stopped.

So, now as a rookie again, I played several games on Saturday and Sunday and I was surprised to find myself on the top of my team fairly consistently(marines and aliens). I imagine the difficulty spike must be really high when going to non rookie servers.

But my experience does show that skills gained in 2012 still hold up. And I have to say the game still has that magic that I loved back then. I'll continue to play for a while and if I'm able to fit into non rookie servers I'll probably play the game for a long time.

The difficulty spike can be pretty high depending on what group of players you find on a server. The community is small enough where it is not hard to find some of the games best players on any given server.

Don't be discouraged if you have a bad experience on a server. NS2 has a lot of different community servers, each one plays a little differently. After you get comfortable I recommend you find a community or two you enjoy playing with most.
  • T6kkeT6kke Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223537Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    The difficulty spike can be pretty high depending on what group of players you find on a server. The community is small enough where it is not hard to find some of the games best players on any given server.

Don't be discouraged if you have a bad experience on a server. NS2 has a lot of different community servers, each one plays a little differently. After you get comfortable I recommend you find a community or two you enjoy playing with most.

I'll be sure to give it a bash. I didn't end up playing NS2 that much since back then I was still into Tribes: Ascend. And in that game I could hold my own against other top level players as long as they weren't actual competitive players(they could wipe the floor with me). And even TA had pretty massive difficulty spice from going beginner servers to veteran servers. But I managed that so maybe I'll be able to do it with NS2 as well. The team play aspect here could help out a lot. As long as I stick around a teammate or two.

And currently playing on rookie servers makes me feel a bit strong. While I'm not always the best player in the team. And I do the best as in the early game as marine or skulk(I waste fades or exo suites since I'm bad with them). But when I can take down 2 marines as single skulk without any upgrades, in an open area, I kind of feel bad for them. I should not win that fight and it makes them not enjoy the game that much.
    I think I should give Veteran servers a go sooner rather then later.
    Something about your posts makes me think you will come to love this game.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I wonder if nsl gathers would be something for him