Update 306 is now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited August 2016
    You have too look further back than 6 months to see a real pattern in player count.
    If nothing else, then seasonal habits and steam sales are a huge factor

EDIT: This isn't the lowest player count, not ever nor for this time of season... so you can't blame that on the devs xP
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    Summer summer summer time, it's summer time

Can't blame them devs for summer dip in populous! Also the ozzie's gon hate me for this yo
    The wondrous yet sligthly embarassing times of the 90s
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Oh my, I just noticed. But it seems now we're balancing the game around entry level play?
    What we ARE doing, is trying to make the game more accessible to new players.

Except the way your going about it is making the game way too easy for the high skill players, which in turn has made pub games much MUCH worse than they have ever been before.

Also I believe your data may be flawed.. I've never seen NS2 as dead as it has been the past couple of weeks. In the mornings we've gone from 2-3 US servers and 6-8 EU servers absolute minimum, to just 1-2 US and 1-2 EU servers at most..

MoFo1 wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Oh my, I just noticed. But it seems now we're balancing the game around entry level play?
    What we ARE doing, is trying to make the game more accessible to new players.

Except the way your going about it is making the game way too easy for the high skill players, which in turn has made pub games much MUCH worse than they have ever been before.
    I have to agree, unfortunately...
    Also I believe your data may be flawed.. I've never seen NS2 as dead as it has been the past couple of weeks. In the mornings we've gone from 2-3 US servers and 6-8 EU servers absolute minimum, to just 1-2 US and 1-2 EU servers at most..
    Percieved past game quality can be quite misleading... and it is the holidays, according to steamcharts history it's not catastrophic compared to other years
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2016
    How can you tell? I've seen Remi playing on a pub not too long ago.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Bicsum wrote: »

Which one?
    edited August 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    Bicsum wrote: »

Which one?

(S)Hellarious Basterds IIRC. It could've been ghouls box, too, though.

However, I'd expect the devs are usually using smurf accounts for obvious reasons.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Therius wrote: »

You don't debunk data by saying "I feel..." or "In my experience..." and throwing around numbers that you are just trying to recall to prove your point. This is a problem too many people on this forum and life in general have.

That's all we really have though.. How it feels

Only UWE (and maybe Nordic) have access to see whether or not the higher player stats are consistent (more people throughout the day) or just new people checking it out (ie it only spikes for a few hours in evenings)

We could have way lower population thoughout the day, but if enough new players are checking it out at night, then suddenly the max peak for that day makes the game look more alive than it really is.. Just one example of how stats don't always tell the while story..

And lately NS2 feels extremely dead. (way more than usual)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only UWE (and maybe Nordic) have access to see whether or not the higher player stats are consistent (more people throughout the day) or just new people checking it out (ie it only spikes for a few hours in
    I don't. I have hive data from February 2016 and Sponitor data from b279 to b297. As you can see, I have not been updated in awhile. Nor have I had much time to work with the stats.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    I will revert the hellarious servers to a pre bullshi.t state this WE. Ppl that own the game for years and devoted a huge portion of thier income to it simply deserve better than to be constantly bothered to be beta testers by force. NS2 has some of the best posibilitys to test stuff on a broad scale without being intrusive and change the core game when the "additions" are clearly not ready for public consumption. This taking advantage of good and over the top loyal ppl that simply need thier socializing fix in a game and community they love ends now.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check our discord on that one @bicsum i'll set up a test server so we can perfect it on a solid build. But till then our ppl need to have thier regular experience... it was not bad with the mods 2 weeks ago... it will sufice till the mod is ready and expensive.
    Changelist seems pretty dope
    edited August 2016
    Each end every one on thier own yes. But i will not put my name behind something that does not stand the test of real comp and pub fun. I don't think it's there, yet. Let me talk to @deck and the others. Time will tell. Maybe we put up a section dedicated to the mod on the discord too...
    You can put my name behind it, I don't care.

It may not be there, yet, but it won't ever be there, if no one is testing it. Same applies to current vanilla balance though.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lol, abit of a smack in the face when you see servers running pre PDT changes. ouch.
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, but I don't think backwards is a good direction in this regard.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Lol, abit of a smack in the face when you see servers running pre PDT changes. ouch.

Not really, he's been doing that for months.
    Subjectivity alert!
    And I played the most enjoyable games on those servers by far
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he merely reverted the health bars so far.
    I'd rather go forward together, WITH the cdt. It's not me son, believe me! But forward is not the direction they choose to take. It's a efing joke. Maybe if they see that noone, that likes good matches plays thier version of the game (it's not ns2 anymore) they focus on important stuff and stop trying to shove thier personal preferences down our throats. I know, it'sa thin straw of hope, but I'm like that.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'd rather go forward together, WITH the cdt. It's not me son, believe me! But forward is not the direction they choose to take. It's a efing joke. Maybe if they see that noone, that likes good matches plays thier version of the game (it's not ns2 anymore) they focus on important stuff and stop trying to shove thier personal preferences down our throats. I know, it'sa thin straw of hope, but I'm like that.

I like it, you're one of those optimist that doesn't see the glass as half full, you see it as refillable :tongue:
    edited August 2016
    I'd love to see the devs on our servers. Smurfs get banned tho. Come with your real accounts and stay a bit longer as one round. You get a real impression. It's very informative to spec for 3-4 rounds too. Bring your mics and lets have some fun!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Health bars, bigger alien hitboxes and then higher skulk health to compensate, completely changing skulk vs. marine gameplay after years of careful balancing, are changes that not only seem unwarranted, but simply have proven to have an extremely negative impact on gameplay

While the Hitbox change had a noticable impact on the marine winratio, i cant see the "complete change in skulksplay".
    Scouting, call out enemy positions, parasiting, engage as a group, ambushing and resbiting.
    I can play the skulk exact the same like before all the last changes.

The last hitbox change revealed only the lack any gamesense/knowledge of most Leeroy Jenkins skulks.
    Bite cone and HP buff helped them a bit again, so we are back to "normal" again.
    But these players still playing horrible on alienside.
    And that is the main reason of the horrible rounds, not the changes.