"tutorials"

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
edited July 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Okay, so we all know a lot of posts about tutorials have happened in the past, but i'm hoping this one is a bit different.

Rather than suggesting making videos etc of how to play in a more advanced way, I'd like to suggest using the loading screens to more effect... after all, we all have to sit through them anyway, we may as well make more use of them.

So, my idea is simple, have a screenshot of the lifeform, and then some quick to read basic guidelines of how to play the lifeform. (below are some very basic mock-ups to show what i'm talking about)
Skulk:
xVql2KC.jpg

Gorge:
OBnTySk.jpg

Fade:
pkZiEj0.jpg

But better than these of course.

Something short and to the point, quick to read and gives a basic overview of the lifeform... people don't need to search for the information, its just there everytime you load a new map or server etc...
it also saves cramming a crap ton of information into the evolve menu while in game (like some have suggested)

And it could go further than just lifeforms... you can explain basic game mechanics in the same way... so if someone is sticking around for their first few rounds ever, they will understand basic concepts much faster, or be reminded of the game mechanics if they have been away for a long period of time. (again, below is a mock-up to show what i'm babbling about)
IefHRQe.jpg

The advantage of this method (other than the fact that its an obvious way to teach people game mechanics etc) is that its just a picture, and it takes very little time to edit a picture, so if changes happen, the pictures can be altered way faster than a tutorial video can.

What are your thoughts/opinions on the idea?

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    If this doesn't get into the game, I'm positive the devs are incompetent.
    It's simple, efficient, and every other game does this. Like bigger hitboxes, only this makes actual sense
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Map specific tips could be shown too ;]
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    edited July 2016
    i like how @.trixX. is implying that they are not. i mean those last updates defenitly have proven that.

But jeah it's a good idea and should be ez to implement aka DO IT NOW.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Map specific tips could be shown too ;]

The idea is so simple I'm genuinely surprised no one has mentioned it before... it is so quick to do and can provide valuable information for a plethora of different things... its the idea that keeps on giving ;)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    But guys, isn't it clear already that simple QoL suggestions like these are futile. We need to drastically make the game a lot easier to play by changing up the gameplay mechanics. It's the only way to make the game more accessible.

Seriously though, this is a good suggestion. In Overwatch for instance, you can press F1 to get a quick overview of all the abilities you hero has at any time. It's super helpful when just starting out. Something like that, but for every lifeform, marine play and commanders would be nice to have.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    You dont even really need to make an image, just written tips should do the trick
    Great idea @remi @BeigeAlert
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    You dont even really need to make an image, just written tips should do the trick
    Great idea @remi @BeigeAlert

yeah, but... images make it look pretty ;)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    And please rename Harvester and Extractor to Recourse Tower. There is absolutely no reason they are called differently and everyone says RT. It just makes is much easier for beginners to understand what an RT is. When I was a rookie I had no idea what my comm was talking about when saying RT or res tower.
    Bicsum wrote: »
    While thinking about ways to emphasize the importance of sneaking, I'v had a very similar idea today.

I was thinking @Rantology could draw more of these little comic guides to be integrated in the loading screen as a slide show:
    There would be a small text as headline that explains what or what not do and a comic:
    cBcAmbo.png

With sneaking as example, a skulk could be the upstairs neighbor of a marine, and the marine is raging, because the skulk is running to the fridge wearing clogs (the wooden shoes).

The idea is that if they're humorous they are more likely to be read. The best case would be that people WANT to read them all at once.

I've always loved some of @rantology 's artwork. That comic you linked was something I posted to every member of my old team, just before I pulled Rant into a training session where she went through the "basics" of fading with the whole team and made our "uber-fade" player realize just how much he still had to learn XD... ahh good times!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Bicsum wrote: »
    While thinking about ways to emphasize the importance of sneaking, I'v had a very similar idea today.

I was thinking @Rantology could draw more of these little comic guides to be integrated in the loading screen as a slide show:
    There would be a small text as headline that explains what or what not do and a comic:
    cBcAmbo.png

With sneaking as example, a skulk could be the upstairs neighbor of a marine, and the marine is raging, because the skulk is running to the fridge wearing clogs (the wooden shoes).

The idea is that if they're humorous they are more likely to be read. The best case would be that people WANT to read them all at once.

Less chat, more splat.

Translation: Less text, more ideas conveyed through images. I like it!
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Less chat, more splat.

Translation: Less text, more ideas conveyed through images. I like it!

As long as you developers see this idea, like it and make use of it, I'm a very happy person. No matter how it is implemented (encyclopedia via the main menu, interactive loading screens, Rantology style comic genius etc) what matters is that it IS implemented, I believe this could help rookies even more than tutorials etc... especially if the mechanic idea (RTs) is utilized properly.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    yjcelnavuuiv.jpg

4 parts of the loading screen. One part with the upcoming map with strategic hints and tips. The other 3 parts are loading screens like Kash suggested with various tips to specific things like lifeforms. Could be random. When you hold your mouse over one, it becomes fullscreen.

Advantage: Player has more control over what tips to read and which not. Easier to find again already read tips. Looks cooler. You always have the option to read things about the upcoming map and how to play on it.