Help the devs - Personality type

.trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
This game is really unique, and I have a hunch that it attracts a specific kind of audience. I'm curius what (if any) that may be, and this could actually help the devs optimize their plans.

There aren't many people here, so it would be nice if everyone answered :]

Here is a link to the (Myers-Briggs) test, takes ~5min: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
I had to group the closest types by two, beceause the answer limit is 10

I can't vouche for it's accuracy though; I filled a paper based a few years back, but this gave the same result for me even though it's shorter. If you want the longer version, I'm sure you can google it xP

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    stupid poll, stupid thread. Just stupid.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Stupid comment. Why bother to type it in if you don't explain your viewpoint?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It was thoroughly explained, what more of a dissection of my post do you need to understand?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Not sure what it's trying to accomplish but okay. Done.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2016
    Other people that share my type of personality: William Shakespeare, J.R.R. Tolkien, Johnny Depp, Frodo Baggins. I approve.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Keep in mind that this is only going to represent the share of players that populate the forums.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Finally, an interesting thread.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    As a fan of Meyer-Briggs typology as a framework to understand other people, I really do not understand the point of this thread. I have always thought that NS2 might have a lot of INTP's like myself, which are relatively rare. I guess this might give a clue in that regard.

If you had to mix types, it would of been better to do mix the E/I component. That would be like ENTP/INTP. Those groupings share more cognitive functions than the way you did it. Oh well, live and learn.

I personally don't like a lot of the descriptions online, and I liked this websites type description best. http://personalityjunkie.com/
    Really though, the best way to understand your type is not by the description but by the cognitive functions.

Meyer briggs may not be perfect, but it is the most widely accepted form of typology in psychology. The military has studied it for over 60 years.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Keep in mind that if you're gonna do personality type tests you may as well give palm readings or horoscopes too.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I don't know, all the percentages were pretty close together.
  • barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    what BS is this? we tumblr now?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I am ENTREPRENEUR (ESTP-A) ?
    What's that A for?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What's that A for?

A = Assertive, also just a note the MITB test is in no way reliable and even the Jung typology which this test is based on is controversial in modern science.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Archie wrote: »
    It was thoroughly explained, what more of a dissection of my post do you need to understand?

I don't think there's any category that suits you in that 'test'.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Not sure what this is all about but I am not sure how accurate my result is

my personality is like smoke, always changing shape influenced by the currents around me and wrapping around people to either feel close to them or suffocate them (I leave that option open) while in constant search for my true self

enough inside to me, time to ride a pony :D
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What's that A for?

Setting yourself up for that one... lol
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I guess I'm an adventurer... ISFP... Doesn't sound like me when I read the description though lol

Seems like a stupid and pointless random test.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    It says I breath thx test
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited August 2016
    Keep in mind that this is only going to represent the share of players that populate the forums.
    Yes, so any result will be in no way representative. But, I have to begin somewhere :D
    Keep in mind that if you're gonna do personality type tests you may as well give palm readings or horoscopes too.
    I'm sure that's why companies use Myers-Briggs tests instead flipping tarot cards.
    coolitic wrote: »
    I don't know, all the percentages were pretty close together.
    You may want to search for a longer version of the test. Questions are repeated there, but with different phrasing.
    But there are people who can't be assigned to any type, which shows this method is not perfect, only the best we have atm.
    Nordic wrote: »
    If you had to mix types, it would of been better to do mix the E/I component. That would be like ENTP/INTP. Those groupings share more cognitive functions than the way you did it. Oh well, live and learn.
    You're right. I hope I can set up a survey in the near future that is methodologically correct.

So, as to my hypothesis (which can't be supported by this amount of responses, nor solely on forum users) is the same as @Nordic 's:
    INTx people are over-represented in this game. So, when the devs are trying to appeal to a broader spectrum of players, they have to keep in mind that the game itself appeals to a small portion of the population. They might not like this, but i think they can't ever grow the playerbase significantly, without creating a different game.

DISCLAIMER
    • The number responses so far are way too low
    • Even if every forum user answered, there will still be a huge number of players who haven't answered
    • In order to support my idea, other games should be compared
    • Gamers are only a subset of the whole population, it should be compensated for that

I would love to conduct some kind of survey which addresses all of these issues, until then, this is not even an approximation.
    Any help/ideas are welcome! :]

Anyway, based on these answers and the population average, it looks like this so far:
    ad26cqy6k0gn.png

And again, THIS (DIS)PROVES NOTHING AT ALL.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    It'd be a very similar outcome for almost all PC games that aren't decisively casual.

Personalities don't really reflect taste. I dislike social activities and people, but I also despise most things 'nerdy' like comics and fantasy stuff while enjoying MMA and fitness.

Also, don't underestimate the power of nostalgia. I put as many hours as I did into NS2 because I played NS1 as a kid/teen and probably wouldn't ever have touched it if I hadn't. I imagine it's very similar for a boatload of people.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    It says I'm the same as kash so it is obviously load of shit ✌✌
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I literally only played this game because of NS1. I still literally only play the game because of NS1.

It's more of a religious practice than it is a good game these days
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Defender... feels like school again. Defender...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    I've taken this test before, I got ENTP iirc. But taking this one now, I got ISTP.

For what ever that's worth.

Edit: I do recall the first time I took it, my extraverted vs introverted was basically 50/50.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    More Gorge / Marine builder / Commander power for us Defenders / Logistician's... Auw we're low in percentage (in forum) :(
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    It says I'm the same as kash so it is obviously load of **** ✌✌

You're a misinterpreted bellend... sounds like me tbh...
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kasharic wrote: »
    It says I'm the same as kash so it is obviously load of **** ✌✌

You're a misinterpreted bellend... sounds like me tbh...

Now now boys lol
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members

I've got some chicken bones we can throw at a wall