The planet doesn't even have a name yet! Suggestions, please!

124»

Comments

• xtr3m3dawgxtr3m3dawg USA Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220341Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Actually, the planet's name is Nautica. That's why it's called Subnautica, because it's in the ocean of Nautica.

Good point.

I'm more inclined to wait and see what the local sentients call it. Probably an unintelligible rumble of noise in the ELF frequency band.

Actually i quite like Nautica.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Uh, yeah I think we all know that @Sigmalx. We're just trying to give it a proper name.
  • NorulvNorulv Norway Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218528Members
    edited July 2016
    Among the other gods you forgot Njord :|
    In Norse mythology, Njörðr is a god among the Vanir. Njörðr, father of the deities Freyr and Freyja by his unnamed sister, was in an ill-fated marriage with the goddess Skaði, lives in Nóatún and is associated with sea, seafaring, wind, fishing, wealth, and crop fertility.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I like Nautica. It's short, it's in the title, and it's all around pretty cool, and I'm not going to lie, it kind of gives me goosebumps.
  • Starovoyovm20Starovoyovm20 141 Granite Drive Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216373Members
    the planet's name should be subnautica!
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Actually, the planet's name is Nautica. That's why it's called Subnautica, because it's in the ocean of Nautica.

Good point.

I'm more inclined to wait and see what the local sentients call it. Probably an unintelligible rumble of noise in the ELF frequency band.

YEEEEEEEUP (Sorry still in caps coz xbox 1 update)
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    GriffinC wrote: »
    Omicron Persei 8

I get the reference... thank you for your time reading this. So get out before I turn on the atmosphere!
  • SoichSoich USA Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206623Members
    How about: "SeaWORLD" *caps intended for effect*
  • CaptainRedbeardCaptainRedbeard Colorado Join Date: 2016-07-29 Member: 220779Members
    I appreciate the idea of coming up with a cool name. However, I kind of like the idea of this planet being unknown to the outside universe. Meaning the planet would have no name until someone managed to make it back to civilization. I'm sure the precursors and other stranded had different names for it, but if no one is left alive, how would you know.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    space exploration you see it you name it then you send people to it or in this case to mine it CaptainRedbeard
  • sontarsontar Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231777Members
    Honestly, name it Subnautica
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited March 2018
    sontar wrote: »
    Honestly, name it Subnautica

That name doesn't seem to make sense. I think 4546b is fine for now, or at least one of the top suggestions.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    It's called the Sea Dragon Pit, it is where we put the people who cause thread necros
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    It's called the Sea Dragon Pit, it is where we put the people who cause thread necros

I see no problem, at least it's an on-topic thread necro. And the the planet is still named quite uninspired by it's scientific designated planet number
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    edited March 2018
    I would probably stick with a Mongolian name, since the game already has a few Mongolian/Chinese-based things, such as the Ancient Earth Blade and the Yin-Yang Carving, or the bacteria being called Kharaa (Mongolian for curse: kharaal). In addition, the Degasi was a Mongolian vessel, so there is a clear theme.

Chinua - Blessings from God (Paul Torgal referred to the Floating Island as a Godsend)
    Dzhambul - Fortress (given that the Quarantine Enforcement Platform prevents leaving the place)
    Nergui* - No name
    Ezguirekh ni* - Desolation (referencing ships being destroyed in orbit)
    Orgon Dalai* - Vast/Wide Ocean
    Yul - From the Far Horizon (referencing the range of the QEP)
    *Names have umlauts that change the way you pronounce it normally.
  • Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members
    Akuaāsu. Meaning Aqua earth In Japanese.
  • TWDplayzTWDplayz Arizona Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239833Members
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Rigel VII. Home to the high crabsqids Kang and Kodos
    rtp9tmi75xcz.jpg

• zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    If they are going to choose a name for the planet then the naming scheme is most likely going to follow the same naming scheme as say the Degassi sea base.
    edited April 2018
    Here's a funny story...

Back in the day we had this map called ns_nancy. One of the Hives was lacking a location entity, so we all called it NO NAME

Still one of my favorite maps in terms of visuals and atmosphere. Eventually the Hive got renamed to Mother...
  • gamingflare101gamingflare101 Join Date: 2018-04-07 Member: 239862Members
    My suggestion: 'Manannán', so named after the Gaelic sea deity, Manannán mac Lir. 

Other suggestions:

Okeanos: Ancient Greek mythology.  The divine male personification of the sea.  Also the name of a single river that encircled the world.

Calypso:  Ancient Greek mythology.   The sea-nymph who held Odysseus captive on the island of Ogygia.  Daughter of the Titan, Atlas.

Hydros: One of the primordial gods of Greek antiquity. Child of Chaos.

Et cetera, et cetera.

Incidentally, the first person to suggest 'Waterworld' gets a free prize... The Official Subnautica Whoopee Cushion!

Actually, it's not as cool as it sounds. 

It involves being seized by an angry mob, then having a 'cocked and locked' Crash jammed into your Jockey Shorts. 

Planet Sea.
  • gamingflare101gamingflare101 Join Date: 2018-04-07 Member: 239862Members