Sudden Grey Screen

FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
I am using the stable build and since the micro update, I am having irregular grey screen events. The game keeps running in the background and I can still move around and open the menu. I can even close it with alt-F4, but the screen will not recover. Only a computer reset will fix it.

I have verified the integrity of the game cache, disabled steam game theater and updated my drivers to no avail.

My system:
GPU: GeForce GTX 980
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Driver Version: 368.81

Not sure what other information I can provide. As it doesn't technically crash, it's not producing a crash report.

P.S. A quicksave key would have allowed me to preserve my game state in this scenario.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I have been playing for several hours now in windowed mode instead of full screen and have not encountered a single incident of grey screen.
    Maybe this helps in pinning down the cause.
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    I never Played with Fullscreen, because I could never minimize it.
    Just got a gray screen even in windowed mode. When I closed Subnautica with alt-F4, the screen turned from gray to black but wouldn't recover. I guess something nukes the display driver.
    So, got another gray screen of death. Hasn't happened in 50 hours game time since the PRAWN update. Did you upgrade to a new Unity version?

Anyway, updated the drivers and now I'll try again. Wish me luck.
    Played three hours with up to date drivers and no gray screen. Guess that helped.
    Got another blank screen. Managed to save the file afterwards with hitting escape and moving the mouse just right. Corrupted the save though. The screenshot is corrupt and loading the save drops me near a pod without attachments and at the beginning state of the game. Maybe the way the save was corrupted can help you to put some light on what's going on, because I am at my wit's end.

Here's a link to a .zip of the save file folder:
    www99.zippyshare.com/v/tavrdZhY/file.html