Shaded clogs

Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
edited November 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Is there any reason why clogs aren't shaded? did a quick search on forum but nothing obvious stood out.

Is it possible to get the clogs shaded like any other alien structure and what are peoples thought about this?

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    they is a shade verision just search for clogs in the wiki
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    lussebull wrote: »
    they is a shade verision just search for clogs in the wiki
    Are you sure you don't mean the shadow skin version that came with the reinforced pack.

I personally don't know why they aren't cloaked. I don't see why not. It would make sneaky gorge tunnels easier to defend.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    @lussebull do you mean this wiki? http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Clog what i meant by having a look on the forum was that I couldn't see this being discussed.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I personally don't know why they aren't cloaked. I don't see why not. It would make sneaky gorge tunnels easier to defend.

That's exactly my thought. Sometimes when commanding, a gorge places a sneaky tunnel he drops some clogs to help defend it and then asks for a shade... I currently say there is no point unless he removes the clogs.

If the clogs are shaded the moment a marine runs into one then they should be revealed just like any other shade alien structure
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    oh "Shaded", yeah kinda silly they don't cloak, that word seems more appropriate somehow. If ya ask me, it's an oversight as they should be cloaked in terms of consistency and of course logic due to all alien stuff being cloaked...

I also thought ya meant the Vanilla Clogs vs Shadow Clogs
    Clog_idle_small.gifShadow_clog.gif
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    oh "Shaded", yeah kinda silly they don't cloak, that word seems more appropriate somehow. If ya ask me, it's an oversight as they should be cloaked in terms of consistency and of course logic due to all alien stuff being cloaked...

I also thought ya meant the Vanilla Clogs vs Shadow Clogs
    Clog_idle_small.gifShadow_clog.gif

Hehehehehe lol me to
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Honestly I never noticed this in 2750 hours
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Good question. I've added it to the CDT's trello board https://trello.com/c/CvxJDKx0
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I can already hear the onos/fade players rage when they slam head first into a cloaked clog, depending on alien vision.
    I can see uses for this, but also see downsides.

You will also have floating issues where a not cloaked moving skulk may be floating on the cloaked clogs. (perhaps make it so if a non cloaked alien touches it, it decloaks?)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Always did wonder this but never thought to bring it up lol, my face literally drops to one side when I see a gorge next to his shaded tunnel drop clogs around it.... "WHAT are YOU doing dude!!" :smiley:
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    The reason clogs are not shade-able is because it would be exploitable, if clogs were shade-able gorges could clog up doorways without marines knowing it, or make moving down hallways incredibly unpleasant etc...

Basically, if they were shade-able it would be an absolute nightmare.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kasharic wrote: »
    The reason clogs are not shade-able is because it would be exploitable, if clogs were shade-able gorges could clog up doorways without marines knowing it, or make moving down hallways incredibly unpleasant etc...

How so? They would decloak everytime you walked into one just like everything else. How is this any worse than say a cloaked crag blocking the hallway? Or even a cloaked whip that actually does damage?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Ping them suckers out of existence, I say!

-with the occasional siegekaboom obviously
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2016
    LOL, what an awesome insight.
    Never occurred to me that they should be cloaked, but now I'll never see it in the same light.

I WANT THIS FEATURE IN 306! :D

EDIT:
    Would be awesome for player retention too! Just wall the marines around with cloaked clogs! Cloags? x)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    would be funny if cloak reach only clogs but there is onos or any other lifeform on the other side fully visible, some marine try to GL but blasts only the cloaked clog wall or if close enough even bounces off haha
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    THis would be great, have a limit on the shade as to how many it can cover at once 12? just a random number, Also as it is cloaked.. aliens can just walk through? alah no more silly gorges blocking of escape routes :smiley:
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Nordic wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »

How so? They would decloak everytime you walked into one just like everything else. How is this any worse than say a cloaked crag blocking the hallway? Or even a cloaked whip that actually does damage?

I was literally repeating the reason I was told it was a bad idea a few months ago when I suggested it, the idea did not go down well.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @Kasharic was it actually playtested, or just speculated upon? Just curious.
    Crags, whips and stuff are obviously not the same as clogs, because marines can jump over those (except shade).
    But the idea of hidden clogs can create interesting scenarios (and frustrating too).

A solution could be to only hide clogs that are connected to the ground (so it doesnt require a ton of calculation), so towers would be still visible, while creating a sneaky aspect to 1-clog-high covers (which may be useless after all)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    So I thought I had posted in this thread way back when, but I'm pretty sure one reason being it's a lot more complicated to make them shaded than everything else. Much more complicated, maybe possible but would require some hacky stuff probably. I'm at least 80℅ sure. I could be wrong, it was a while ago.
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @Kasharic was it actually playtested, or just speculated upon? Just curious.
    Crags, whips and stuff are obviously not the same as clogs, because marines can jump over those (except shade).
    But the idea of hidden clogs can create interesting scenarios (and frustrating too).

A solution could be to only hide clogs that are connected to the ground (so it doesnt require a ton of calculation), so towers would be still visible, while creating a sneaky aspect to 1-clog-high covers (which may be useless after all)

as far as i'm aware, it was pure speculation, and I can't remember all of the arguments against it... all I remember was that I brought it up and it was shot down by quite a lot of people to the point where I agreed it was a bad idea.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    if a sneaky tunnel behind exos bunch of gorges can make shaded cloak wall so they cant escape while getting attacked from the front :P and rain of bile over the hidden wall gets the kill haha