[Build 0.9.5] ns2_prison (04/04-2020)

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Armory - huge wall makes this room very alien-friendly. Perhaps who gun dispensary kiosk things would work better, about the same size as those things in Docking's terminal.

The corridor left of southern TP is very marine-friendly. Narrow, long, and the vent to get around it is halfway down and still within obs range from vent. insanely difficult for aliens to deal with at any stage in the game. Either rework the vent, or change the corridor to hive aliens a bit of leighway?
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    I was actually just debating those two subjects with troop after the test!

I'm working on detailing armory right now, and I have already removed that wall, will try to achieve breaking up the LoS to the entities / toll booth in another way.

I'm pondering simply just adding an extra vent to that corridor. Starting near ground level around the stairs, then go all the way to the corner where people useally park their exo / rines for that long line of fire.
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    As marines, we never seem to go over to the right side of the map that much. Some one mentioned that the areas outside marine start are too alien friendly. Also someone mentioned I think that the last time marines won was after relocating to General Population. Why not have marine start in the centre to compensate for the alien friendliness of the outer areas, and have aliens randomly start in one of the other 4 tech points (which could be the USP for the map - marines caught in the centre, surrounded by aliens, I think lends to the prison idea :-) ), although I don't know what will stop marines from rushing hive at start in such a given situation, but could be an interesting (or rubbish) experiment for next Sunday.

Also maybe fix where aliens can drop tunnels in isolation.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Okay, before my local server started to lag to death, I had time to take 3 screenshots. More coming very soon.
    ntfyBZO.jpg
    You really gotta raise the ceiling. I mean, I think I told you that already but it's near to the impossible to kill an Alien in here, it makes the task really harder. It's quite similar all around the map as far as I know but here is the worst. Too lowered from my view. But I guess that's the point. After all, we're in jail.
    c2g8O1u.jpg
    dPY9tbU.jpg
    I hate this. This node is too hard to protect if you're coming from the outside of the Marines main base. Seems that you added a few boxes to cover a bit more the Marines building the node but not sure it's enough. In fact, I think it makes it worse. Let's say a Marine is building the RT. He would be able to cover his mate depending how he is positioned around the RT but it remains quite hard to see him due to these boxes. The one near the node has no chance to cover the guy building RT though. He can actually if he stands as my screenshot shows but in this case, he will not be able to cover himself. There's a ventilation in the hallway just behind and he can't build the node while covering his mate near the RT. If he stands the other side, he has better chance but not enough. I mean, he has to anticipate a lot an Alien coming from the vent to have a small chance to kill it. Moreover, he will not be able to cover his mate near the RT or even to have a glance to the players coming from the room we can see on my picture. There's something to be done in here. Best would probably to remove those stairs or to push them a bit farther to have an easier glimpse. I'm sure there's Marines here dying quickly because of them being suprised by the Aliens coming from the vent.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    More pictures!
    b78p1NY.jpg
    Both doors in this room are a bit small, aren't they?
    P4Pc75N.jpg
    This wall near the RT may be a problem. A sneaky Alien can easily climb on it and kill the Marine building the RT. In other words, similar problem that I raised in the first screenshots. Depends a lot how are positioned the Marines near the node and the RT but looks like it'd be better to increase the wall's height. We got the same issue around the node in this room but isn't that important I think.
    SCsxodJ.jpg
    Small bug. Can see through the glass like if there was none.
    jssv87b.jpg
    Okay? What's the point of this ventilation? I guess it allows Aliens to hide inside this but does it make sense?
    X3OmcXe.jpg
    Wouldn't be better to divide Medbay into two different rooms powered by two Power Nodes? Just raising ideas since it looks like that room has the south part quite pointless.
    gtKpILL.jpg
    Although I like this room, it's not really balanced. Clearly Aliens friendly. Maybe too many props, walls, or elements everywhere. I can't really tell, I'd need to test the map in a real game, not just wandering on it.
    C377SGG.jpg
    Very hard to hop onto this. Doable but not that easy. Wouldn't you make it easier? Especially knowing that there's two ladders around it somewhere meaning that we should be able to get here.
    CIkq9Xe.jpg
    Same room, same problem than previously stated. Should be able to get in here.
    z37JE4w.jpg
    6CH8PXF.jpg
    Told you that already as far as I recall. Being to shot the RT in the background from here isn't really good. I'd do something to protect it even more than these current and small barriers.
    XX9MOoD.jpg
    How do you protect the guy building the node? I know I often raise that point but it seems legit in every maps to be honest. Node and RT should be both visible from each other.
    lviI8B6.jpg
    This vent is really huge. And I think you may remove this path in the background because it's not that really useful. Makes sense looking at the map but no impact on the gameplay actually.
    IaSrhgr.jpg
    Houston, we got a problem. This bug aside. Putting a tunnel here is OP. Easily protectable and can infest the res node to drop an RT later on.
    5zSvj7W.jpg
    Nothing to report here. I just love that room. :)
    CxAzFxs.jpg
    This res node here is an issue. Or you better move the Power Node. Meaning that you can move the Node right down where I'm standing on the picture. Way better than the current location.
    kvYjDfw.jpg
    Move the node right here.
    WJQBkeJ.jpg
    Nothing prevents you to put down the RT here otherwise. But I do prefer my first solution. It's a Marine natural RT and should be somehow easily protectable by them. That's what I think at the very least.
    JrVeCOq.jpg
    Is there a way to reduce the range before the door opens up? Seems to me that this door opens up a way too soon.
    WDOLjy7.jpg
    Why not making the same kind of Node in Bridge A? That one looks pretty good, doesn't it?
    0K0MIho.jpg
    Just me being curious, what's your plan for this room? I mean the one below where it's full of nothing.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Doorway prop not properly aligned in Armory (towards Toll Booth). We played the map during the last scc session and I had a blast. I mostly played on the east side (armory, med bay, quarry, etc) and it felt really nice, pretty much balanced engagements-wise for both sides. Except a few things here and there
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited January 2018
    Time to let in some fresh air!!

Build 0.6 is complete and feature a fully detailed Ventilation Area, aswell as numerous improvements around the map.

Updated mini map in first post. All feedback is greatly valued and appreciated, keep it coming
      LATEST CHANGES; 22/06-2015.
        - Detailed Ventilation.
          - Reduced the run-time through 2 vents by nearly half, still same access points.
            - Further build upon the vent that goes from alien start to ventilation corridor, it now goes into ventilation aswell.
              - Removed ceiling vents in Ventilation, there is just 5 working fans now.
                - Moved Surveillance and Ventilation Powernodes to a new position, should make marine backup easier.

Ventilation:
                4kdAB0p.png
                vBxyOq5.jpg
                A6rN0vA.jpg
                YalgIg6.jpg
                wbqdjAm.jpg
                it7qfVR.jpg
                1sskIp8.jpg

I hope you continue to enjoy playing on prison, just as much as I love working on it!!

See you in jail son ;)

• babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
                The ladders in ventilation don't work.
              • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
                My pov from ns2_prison yesterday:
              • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
                My only main concer with this map currently is that the vents have alot of ups and downs, which make them hard to navigate in and longer than they appear to be on the minimap. Also I am not a fan of maps with 11 RTs but that is my personal preference.
                Thanks for sharing that with me Beige <3

I feel you @Mephilles , bringing down the rt count to 9 is something I have pondered for a long time. I'm mostly trying to decide if I should remove Quarry / Surveillance RT's or Armory / Ventilation RT's. Guess I might aswell test both ^^ I have begun trying to adjust on the run times in vents, I agree some were to random in their pathing, last build already decreased two vents run time by nearly half :)
                edited May 2016
                UPDATE: Started working on prison again, recently moved into a new apartment and I'll have some time to sink into this project again.

*Changed RT count to 9 (Surveillance and Quarry RT's removed, previous 11 rt's)
                *Fixed stuck spots
                *Fixed minor cosmetic and gameplay issues based on feedback
                *Closed vent going from bridge to surveillance.
                edited July 2016
                I have deleted my workshop file for prison and I will not complete this map. I hold on to it for future resume use and I hope all of you the very best.

After the clear negligence from UWE, I am never coming back to this game. I hope you others are treated more fairly!

All the best,
                Vert^
              • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
                Vert^ wrote: »
                I hope you others are treated more fairly!
                Unfortunately just a chosen "few" ... not all of us equally.
              • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
                Was an enjoyable map to play, its a shame we will never see it fully finished :/
              • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
                edited July 2016
                Loki wrote: »
                Was an enjoyable map to play, its a shame we will never see it fully finished :/

Loki just loves his relocations.

But I have to agree.

edit: Corrected Loki's name. My spelling gets worse and worse.
              • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
                olB0hX5.gif

No but srsly I have seen many people leave this this game behind. Some of them close to me, some not rly... But everytime I see a good person leave who actually contributed to the game (either by building content or just helping other players) there is a little part of me who dies everytime... (one that hit me personally quite hard was the leave of @Anzestral )
              • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
                so true @F0rdPrefect @Mephilles this gif would had been better :D
                giphy.gif
              • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
                Mephilles wrote: »
                olB0hX5.gif

No but srsly I have seen many people leave this this game behind. Some of them close to me, some not rly... But everytime I see a good person leave who actually contributed to the game (either by building content or just helping other players) there is a little part of me who dies everytime... (one that hit me personally quite hard was the leave of @Anzestral )

Wait. What? Anze is gone? When!?
                for ages. He maybe joins a pub every 2 months but generall he didn't rly play anymore
              • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
                I ran into Anzestral in a random Overwatch game the other day. At least he's still alive.
                NO D: he got eaten by that game aswell
              • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
                Therius wrote: »
                I ran into Anzestral in a random Overwatch game the other day. At least he's still alive.

Wow, what are the chances? :D
              • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
                Loki wrote: »
                so true @F0rdPrefect @Mephilles this gif would had been better :D
                giphy.gif

What? You do understand the context around that scene, right? We don't want to shame vert for leaving, we're saying "it's a shame"...
                SCC maptests every sunday at 21 cet. Don't miss it
                Hello everyone ! I have been hard at work on prison, as I was going to try and get it ready for this Sundays testing. I've been redoing a lot of the remaining grey-box. I was nearly done with the build too, but unfortunately I've been called to work all day and will not be able to make it this week. The build should be up around Wednesday / Thursday after my work week is complete. Hope you all have a great Sunday and a very good week !!

Sneak Peaks:
                Editor_2018_01_07_08_22_50_75.png
                Editor_2018_01_07_08_23_19_40.png
                Editor_2018_01_07_08_23_34_40.png
                Editor_2018_01_07_08_23_51_10.png
                It's finally time to go back to Prison!

Build 0.6.5 is complete and feature a fully remade General Population.

Updated mini map in first post. All feedback is greatly valued and appreciated, keep it coming
                  LATEST CHANGES; 13/01-2018.
                    - Remade almost all of the remaining greybox, for a new re-release of the map.
                      - Added a new vent from General population, to contest arc'ing from a new side room.

New General Population:
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_50_57_33.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_51_06_15.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_51_12_34.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_51_24_46.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_51_42_61.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_51_57_50.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_52_30_14.png
                      ns2_2018_01_13_13_52_59_03.png

It's great to finally be back working on this project, and I hope you will enjoy the ride, as I go into the last stages of development.

See you in jail son ;)