NS2Free2PLay

12346»

Comments

• Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    This game isn't ever making a comeback. We may get a healthy amount of new players ever now and then, and, hell, we might even retain them, but a "comeback" just isn't going to happen. You want to do some testing? Fine, but preferably have a beta testing mod for that. You want to improve the game for players? Also fine. But the "Natural Selection" franchise will not have an opportunity to become big until NS3, and that isn't going to happen until quite some time later.

Fall 2019

I can't tell if you're screwing with us or you actually heard something.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Bike_Man wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    This game isn't ever making a comeback. We may get a healthy amount of new players ever now and then, and, hell, we might even retain them, but a "comeback" just isn't going to happen. You want to do some testing? Fine, but preferably have a beta testing mod for that. You want to improve the game for players? Also fine. But the "Natural Selection" franchise will not have an opportunity to become big until NS3, and that isn't going to happen until quite some time later.

Fall 2019

I can't tell if you're screwing with us or you actually heard something.

Related (end of troller trailer)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    RadimaX wrote: »
    this might not be as relevant but its google search trends for ns2 evolve and warframe

Evolve has now lost 86% of it's playerbase in 2 weeks...
    Care to place bets where it will be in another month?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    MY SUGGESTION is to just give them the maps tram and veil no skins etc .

Maybe you don't get how f2p works, but what will happen is the following:
    - Free ns2 will be filled with næbs.
    - (Most) paid veteran ns2 players will commence a great and stackular næb harvest on free ns2, even though they have paid, because it will have a lot more people and that's what they really want anyway, so even if it has only one or two maps, it doesn't really matter. I'm guessing the desire to harvest næbs will overcome any drawbacks, i.e. even if you have only one map that's currently perceived as "bad," people will still play it.
    - Free ns2 will be harvested to near death and have only very few "high-tier" players remaining that immediately crush any confused poor næb who tries free ns2 post-release, kind of like if you log in to Unreal Tournament nowadays.
    - Paid ns2 and free ns2 will both be pretty much dead, probably more than paid ns2 combined now.

That's my prediction of the f2p cycle anyway.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    this might not be as relevant but its google search trends for ns2 evolve and warframe

Evolve has now lost 86% of it's playerbase in 2 weeks...
    Care to place bets where it will be in another month?

No clue where you are seeing this but its highest concurrent players since f2p was approx 51,000:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/273350
    Its peak for the day was 15661, with 8,352 active at really early EU time.

51000 - 15661 = 35339

35339/51000 = .6929 so 69% approx

No clue where you found your 86% but its really not that drastic, nor was the game in reality finished, it was basically a massively changed game that needs a lot more work.

Regardless the player count is still massively more than it was before f2p, and not even close.

When evolve launched it had a total player count of about 27k, and the peak when going f2p of 51k

If Ns2 were to have similar results when going f2p, when it launched its highest peak was about 9.5k players

27/51 = 9.5/X = 17.94 so nearly 18k players the first day if it were to have similar results to evolve.

That would make the ns2 player base 39% of the evolve player count,
    Peak of 15.6 for evolve = peak of 6107 for ns2
    Active players at (5 am ET)
    Ns2 currently = 102
    Evolve currently = 9266 (jumped 900 since i started making this post)
    Possible ns2 players = 3257 (3613)

Even getting half of this would make the player base jump, Ns2 is farther than evolve in having infrastructure if going f2p, as evolve is remaking the entire game.

Idk about you but 102 vs maybe 3000, 2000 players? I think the choice is easy.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    ns2 had like 100 players an hour ago surely the recent updates will bring thousands of players and ns2 wont die out? ooooor... it just dies out and people move on (thats what i DONT want) i simply want people to know about ns2 and the 5 years of developing the engine wont be a waste since players will still have fun on ns2 in 2017 and forward if it was free surely warframe and evolve are just free2play games existing now in 2017 as example that people play them, i personally hate evolve and would not recommend it to anyone because you need 2 minutes to pick a class then wait for map to load then wait for 30 sec cutscene then run around for 5 minutes searching for a camping monster then it all ends in less then a min, you can only do it soooo many times, if ns2 was like that there would be 0 players years ago...however in ns2 can play every map 2513 times and its different every game and that is why i think it would last longer then the existing free2plays
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    migalski wrote: »

It's not that easy.. If rather have 100 players with 90% or more actually playing the game and only 10% trolling, hacking, being idiotic, etc...

Far better than 3000 players with 10% actually playing and 90% trolling, hacking, being idiotic, etc..

Because honestly that's been my experience with f2p games, the vast majority of people playing them are just there to troll/hack/idle for items/etc...

I'll never forget how fun TF2 was before they butchered it with F2P. It's a nightmare to play now, and that's what people want for NS2? No thanks.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »

It's not that easy.. If rather have 100 players with 90% or more actually playing the game and only 10% trolling, hacking, being idiotic, etc...

Far better than 3000 players with 10% actually playing and 90% trolling, hacking, being idiotic, etc..

Because honestly that's been my experience with f2p games, the vast majority of people playing them are just there to troll/hack/idle for items/etc...

I'll never forget how fun TF2 was before they butchered it with F2P. It's a nightmare to play now, and that's what people want for NS2? No thanks.

10% of 3000 = 300
    90% of 100 = 90

With option 1 being f2p you can just make your own server and ban whoever you want and its fine because there's enough players to keep going :)

Option 2 staying the same = nothing changes
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016
    10% of 3000 = 300

Yes which equals 2700 crap/troll/hack/etc players... The chances of getting a decent game would become non-existent.

Oh and starting your own server isn't going to help unless you could attract that rare 10% of players into it.. Not a realistic solution as it would take months (at least) of seeding, adminning games, kicking/banning those 2700, and advertising your server...
  • openyafaceupopenyafaceup Australia Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201057Members
    IM KEEN TO SEE THE NEW MAPS AND MODS THAT THE INFLUX OF PEOPLE WILL BRING
  • RoughneckRoughneck Juneau Join Date: 2014-08-09 Member: 197888Members
    Skins are not going to help endless stacked games,broken shuffles and skill gaps between players of the same hive score. The game.. as fun as it is has huge flaws at its core that just simply can't be fixed. This game is one bad idea or horrible update from being dead already. I really doubt the devs will risk trying anything else until the player base is 0