What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Frozen wrote: »
    If I'm shooting an onos, I have a damn good idea exactly how much damage I did, since I didn't really miss. The **** do I need feedback for?

We have to equalize the chances, don't you get it? The game is garbage until every match is a draw and everyone has the same stats. GAME LIVES MATTER!

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    It's a hot day today, health at the bar ?
    s7pqaqrzbtjv.jpg

These are great, keep them coming haha
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can see on the steam charts there's a drop in average players starting around the healthbar patch.

Maybe your getting better 10 minute new player retention but everyone else is leaving.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    Do you think any one developer, let alone Remi, puts things into the game willy nilly without any discussion? They do not.

Yes... YES I do!

without propper testing and permission from the community it affects, that's for sure.
    there is a reason the DramaLifter (HPbar removal mod) was the most popular mod for weeks.
    And now everyone who genuinely cares for the game is asking for it.

At what point is a "francise" public domain and it'S NOT up to you anymore what to do with it? A decade full of Transformers, Turtles, and now Ghostbusters should spark a disscusion how to proceed with a company that lost touch with the fan base and it's soul intend of keeping the francise going is NOT the Art it was but the money it became. the I'd argue 2-3 years in prison for the CEO in question.

Legalize and make the war on drugs (silly) the war on cash grabbers (really needed).

right now there is great power, but no resposibility -.-
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    Do you think any one developer, let alone Remi, puts things into the game willy nilly without any discussion? They do not.

Yes... YES I do!

without propper testing and permission from the community it affects, that's for sure.
    there is a reason the DramaLifter (HPbar removal mod) was the most popular mod for weeks.

At what point is a "francise" public domain and it'S NOT up to you anymore what to do with it? A decade full of Transformers, Turtles, and now Ghostbusters should spark a disscusion how to proceed with a company that lost touch with the fan base and it's soul intend of keeping the francise going is NOT the Art it was but the money it became. the I'd argue 2-3 years in prison for the CEO in question.

Legalize and make the war on drugs (silly) the war on cash grabbers (really needed).

right now there is great power, but no resposibility -.-

Heh, look, he talks like UWE actually owes him anything.

While it's true that it's in their best interest to make reasonable decisions, there's also no reason for this entitled attitude. Public domain... good one.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    oh... the Hell hater army is the first to respond to me... how surprising -.-
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    oh... the Hell hater army is the first to respond to me... how surprising -.-

The what...?
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Hmm, <span style="color:red">the hell</span><span style="color:yellow"> with these</span> <span style="color:orange"> bars</span>
    blsjbdwpfq0k.jpg
    @F0rdPrefect : UWE does owe us something beside sensible decisions. We have payed for a game that we liked, then they changed it for the worse despite heavy resistance from the community.

I've written an analogy before:
    You buy a roadster, use it for 2 years while having tons of fun & ( . Y . ), then the manufacturer calls back the model because a problem had been found. A week later, they send you a family station wagon as a permanent replacement. Both are cars with four wheels with the same name on it, but don't tell me you'd just swallow the swap.

HP bars are the dumbest thing I've EVER seen implemented in the game, not just gameplay-wise, but veteran players also left. And look at the graphs. Does it help player retention? Absolutely bloody not.

I'd be curious how the current devs justify keeping it
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »

Their justification.... "Our way is better"

Apparently that's all they need.

edited July 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Apparently that's all they need.

Well, technically _they/he/she/it_ is not wrong... just a gargantuan gaping Ahole :]
    Evidence should decide whether HP bars stay in or not. And I honestly don't see any of that.
    This is a rare occasion I wish I was a US citizen... I'd be suing UWE for fraud and indecent conduct :D
    @F0rdPrefect : UWE does owe us something beside sensible decisions. We have payed for a game that we liked, then they changed it for the worse despite heavy resistance from the community.

I've written an analogy before:
    You buy a roadster, use it for 2 years while having tons of fun & ( . Y . ), then the manufacturer calls back the model because a problem had been found. A week later, they send you a family station wagon as a permanent replacement. Both are cars with four wheels with the same name on it, but don't tell me you'd just swallow the swap.

HP bars are the dumbest thing I've EVER seen implemented in the game, not just gameplay-wise, but veteran players also left. And look at the graphs. Does it help player retention? Absolutely bloody not.

Yeah... only that's not how software works. Besides, I think it was advertised that the game would keep getting updates from the start. That means you'll have to live with the fact that you might not like some of those updates.
    Yeah... only that's not how software works. Besides, I think it was advertised that the game would keep getting updates from the start. That means you'll have to live with the fact that you might not like some of those updates.

Softwares are also a product, you buy them because they appeal to you. And upgrades imply improvement, not this pile of dung what we have atm

Softwares are also a product, you buy them because they appeal to you. And upgrades imply improvement, not this pile of dung what we have atm

"Improvement" is subjective.
    edited July 2016
    Not really. Faster loading time? Improved fps? Tutorials? Those were improvements.
    Introducing a feature that messes up tactics and atmosphere under the pretense of player retention, while failing to do that? Pile of spacecow manure.
    Not really. Faster loading time? Improved fps? Tutorials? Those were improvements.
    Introducing a feature that messes up tactics and atmosphere under the pretense of player retention, while failing to do that? Pile of spacecow manure.

Yeah, but... that's just like your opinion, man.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm still pulling the T-1000 card on them
    t21.gif
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Aye.. it IS their game and this is how it works in games. They are allowed to change anything they want, and thats that.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sensible would be working on a "retainment NS2" instead of the live one and see how many people opt in
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Maybe the PDT wants everyone to play something else like the newly released NS3. Wait there's no NS3? Nooooo!!!

Wut?
    I like chocolate icecream. Thats an opinion.

+10 FPS is good.
    -30s loading time is good.
    Disruption of a fragile system for no obvious reason.
    Those are objective statements backed by B&W facts.

I would even stfu and swallow the healthbars if it achieved an increase in player count, but it hasnt.

Wut?
    I like chocolate icecream. Thats an opinion.

+10 FPS is good.
    -30s loading time is good.
    Disruption of a fragile system for no obvious reason.
    Those are objective statements backed by B&W facts.

I would even stfu and swallow the healthbars if it achieved an increase in player count, but it hasnt.

Yup. Those are objective. However, these:

Are not objective.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Nominous wrote: »
    I meant to vote "keep, but tweak" at first. Now I'm leaning toward removing the health bars. @IronHorse sums up the reasons nicely in this doc. He reflects my thoughts that engagements as a marine are more stale now. When your initial bullets (and subsequent health bar) tell you that a higher lifeform is lit, you can be fairly certain whether that alien will die and much of the suspense in previous patches is lost.

As a fade, I need to maximize speed, use complex movement, and plan earlier retreats a lot more often. Even though I always went celerity + carapace before, the other upgrades are even less viable for me due to the increased importance of juking and retreating. By focusing more on juking, I end up missing more swipes and more energy becomes wasted. I see vets of varying skill lose their higher lifeforms more often now since they haven't gotten used to playing more carefully. The skill curve has been effectively raised for aliens.

When you combine bars with enemy names and HP/armor numbers, it results in some sort of red indicator always being visible to marines during a short engagement. Due to the ranged nature of marines, bars are always useful for them. The same cannot be said for most alien lifeforms since they already have alien vision for tracking marines. Bars even become a bit redundant for aliens if they have aura.

Strafe juking as a skulk is now least effective against shotties and wall jumping becomes more predictable, especially when the health bar appears at the apex of your jump. Also, health bars seem to be visible behind structures and persist when re-targeting. I don't know if it's a bug or not. The following video contains footage where I feel like health bars gave me an aiming advantage:

As IronHorse suggests in the doc, I also think that health bars should be limited to Rookie Only servers in order to encourage focusing lifeforms and help train their aim. It should be explicitly stated that the bars are learning tools that won't be available once they grow out of rookie status. Alternatively, the health bar could replace the HP/armor numbers that float above the enemy when you damage them. This ensures that the bar doesn't aid players when re-targeting enemies while letting them easily know remaining enemy HP/armor as long as they're being targeted.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to implement health bars. They're almost required in Overwatch due to heroes receiving constant healing, Lucio providing overheals, and heroes providing additional shields and armor. Players across the entire skill spectrum would have trouble keeping track of remaining enemy HP without them. The bars are perfectly balanced there due to the symmetrical nature of both teams and the majority of heroes dealing ranged damage. In NS2, however, health bars provide marines much more of an advantage than they do for aliens.

Perfectly stated... But sadly it will most likely just go in one ear and out the other...

It's honestly starting to seem like they just don't care...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    Well written @Nominous .. although Idk how you got your hands on that internal chat log.. o.0

Another large difference between Overwatch and NS2 in regards to HP bars is that you can just respawn as any class/lifeform you want at any time. Compare this to waiting 12 minutes to purchase an Onos.
    Raising the skill floor to play aliens is the largest detriment, besides removing the fun that comes with the tension of the unknown while "dancing" in combat.
    @F0rdPrefect I just repeated myself with different words :D
    Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...
    @F0rdPrefect I just repeated myself with different words :D
    Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

*sigh*

Let me clarify. I highlighted the part that's not objective.

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited July 2016
    Even if the health bars are going to stay - which is the response we're getting from the developers - the visual implementation is really, really poor and introduces so many additional downsides. Even if we momentarily ignore the effect that the information has on gameplay, the following remains true:

The bars occlude details when they shouldn't half the time, and they make tracking easier when it needn't be when they're not getting in the way. They're difficult to read (especially for people like me), and they don't aesthetically jive with the existing UI elements. They almost look like they've been lifted from a late 90s or early 00s RTS game. There are so many other ways to implement this data feedback if the developers really are this gung-ho about it, and there hasn't been any indication that those methods are going to be explored (despite the massive outpouring of disagreement evident in this thread). I understand the value of sticking to your guns, but we've reached the point where revisiting the feature is more than prudent.