Just realized I can use Acid Mushrooms to kill things

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
I had a stalker outside my base for quite a while. The moment I popped out he'd be there to take a bite out of me. This was becoming annoying, so I took my propulsion cannon and shot a fish at it. Then I remembered the other savegame where I slashed a mushroom and nearly destroyed my base as a result. So I use the propulsion cannon to grab a couple (and used up quite a few batteries along the way). This was the result...

subnautica50_zpstapyrz4i.png
subnautica51_zpsikdk9ldh.png

I hate having to kill things, but when they're making your virtual life a bit TOO difficult you have to do something about it... Of course a few missed shots hit my base and I damaged the environment around it pulling things other than the mushrooms, so I had to go fix what I could (AFTER surfacing for air). I wonder if the corpse will despawn, or if it's just gonna stay there...

Comments

• SmarterThanAllSmarterThanAll Holland Michigan Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219021Members
    edited July 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I had a stalker outside my base for quite a while. The moment I popped out he'd be there to take a bite out of me. This was becoming annoying, so I took my propulsion cannon and shot a fish at it. Then I remembered the other savegame where I slashed a mushroom and nearly destroyed my base as a result. So I use the propulsion cannon to grab a couple (and used up quite a few batteries along the way). This was the result...

subnautica50_zpstapyrz4i.png
    subnautica51_zpsikdk9ldh.png

I hate having to kill things, but when they're making your virtual life a bit TOO difficult you have to do something about it... Of course a few missed shots hit my base and I damaged the environment around it pulling things other than the mushrooms, so I had to go fix what I could (AFTER surfacing for air). I wonder if the corpse will despawn, or if it's just gonna stay there...

You didn't hate killing those mushrooms to kill that stalker so oh swells! Good shot! So how exactly did you kill the stalker? Acid? Or the impact damage?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Both. Impact caused some damage, but it was the splash damage from the acid that gave it a world of hurt. Need some good aim, and a LOT of luck. Scored a few direct hits at near point blank range which meant I also took some damage. Still, I had quite a few medkits.

As for killing mushrooms, I don't mind. I use real life ones for cooking and we need them for batteries. Still, I'm kinda sad I uproot a few writhing weeds in the process of killing this stalker.
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    "Just realized I can use Acid Mushrooms to kill things".. yes, starting with one self normally.
    Just using the propulsion on its own can kill a stalker as well, but i understand the feeling of killing innocent fish and plant that happen to get in the way. Most of the time when killing Biter and Blighter with the Seamoth electrocution add on lots of poor other fish die as well. Shot at a Crash and it wiped out a lot off plants on the reef it exploded against.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Shame you can't just fill an exterior grow bed with acid mushrooms and use the propulsion gun to slam the Stalker into it.

Hmm, waitaminute... Stalkers are always tossing scrap metal around. I wonder if I could place 'shroom IEDs down there and lure the little basters into them?
  • CeepsCeeps Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37626Members
    Ah yes, the first thing I used the gravity gun for was picking up one of those and killing the nearest stalker. Now you're thinking with portals
    Too bad we can't just consume the Stalkers we kill. Then again, they're probably full of toxins and stuff from consuming so many peepers...
  • CeepsCeeps Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37626Members
    Too bad we can't just consume the Stalkers we kill. Then again, they're probably full of toxins and stuff from consuming so many peepers...

yeah it's a bit strange, if I breed the harvesters in my containment, I can use them as biofuel. But I can't pick up dead ones and toss them in. #Morals
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What? Killing?

Clearly you are a psycotic murderer who loves guns! You are whats wrong with society!

We should all just let stalkers tear our innards out and wear them like garlands! Because remember, WE are the intruder on this planet!
    I ask those who believe a gun free society is a more peaceful society to spend some time studying the histories of the Julius Caesar, William the Conqueror, Alexander of Macedon and Genghis Khan. :wink:

Humanity differs from all other animals in just one very important way: We do not adapt ourselves to our environment. Instead, we force our environments to adapt to our needs. That's why you don't see bears walking down Madison Avenue. We are tool users and tool makers. A shovel is a tool for removing dirt that's in the way. A saw is a tool for removing trees that get in the way. A rifle is a tool for removing animals that get in the way.

Hoover-Dam-Getty.jpg
    Above: Human smash puny Nature.
    True enough. However, we're not the only ones who force nature to adapt to us. We're just more destructive when we do it. :)
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @DagothUr maybe a gun free society is not 100% peacful but a society where you can't buy guns online at fricking Wmart (pardon my french) surly has less shootings then one where you do not have easy access.

And comparing today with the times of Julius Ceasar or Genghis Khan. Isn't even "apples to oranges" anymore...that is just pure ignorance for any progress humankind has made till then imo.
    edited July 2016
    Well, to deal with that pesky stalker I had to improvise. One shot didn't scare it away. It kept coming back and biting me. I didn't even feed it fish or give anything to it. It just seemed to think I was the most delicious thing it ever tasted (I think)... What it tasted was my desire to survive in the virtual world that is Subnautica.

I was perfectly willing to let it stick around as long as it didn't try to bite me. One bite too many broke the camel's back...

If only I was like my favorite Cybertronian... y'know. One eye'd. Transforms into a battle helicopter. And was totally nuts while flying...
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @DagothUr It's true that human nature hasn't really changed since 2,000 years ago, but guns do make it a LOT easier to kill and maim. You can kill someone in a fit of rage with a gun that you wouldn't have been physically able to with a knife, and you can kill a lot more people a lot more quickly. Our technology has definitely advanced more quickly than our behavior.
    @DagothUr maybe a gun free society is not 100% peacful but a society where you can't buy guns online at fricking Wmart (pardon my french) surly has less shootings then one where you do not have easy access.

And comparing today with the times of Julius Ceasar or Genghis Khan. Isn't even "apples to oranges" anymore...that is just pure ignorance for any progress humankind has made till then imo.

That is what we call "fractal wrongness." Historically, the amount of bloodshed as a percentage of population has always gone down as the quality of weaponry and access to it has increased.

Consider the death toll of World War 2, which was done with tanks, machineguns, airplanes and, in the end, nuclear weapons: 60 million dead out of a global population of 2.3 billion. That's 2% of the population of the world. Seems like a lot, right?

Except that Genghis Khan killed about 40 million people using nothing more than horse archers. At the time that represented 11% of the population of the world. Relatively speaking, Khan was five times as bloodthirsty as Hitler, and he did it without guns.

Today we have the most advanced weapons in human history, and yet the death toll of warfare has never been lower. You might also notice that the Gap regional conflicts of today are best known for rarely fielding anything more advanced than old AK47s, whereas in the Core nations - nations that have standing armies equipped with tanks & jet fighters - society tends to be a lot more civil. There has never been an open warfare between any two global powers since the invention of nuclear weapons, either. The apex of weaponry - the atomic bomb - heralded the apex of peace between every nation that has since acquired it.

Simply put, the farther back in time you go - and the more primitive the weaponry becomes - the far more likely a person is to be violently killed. The moral of the story is if you really want to be safe, live someplace with the best weapons.

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Now we have a gun control discussion.....
    It's nothing more than derailment and trolling.
    Just curious. Would using live fish as ammo have been enough to take down that pesky stalker?
    Just curious. Would using live fish as ammo have been enough to take down that pesky stalker?

You mean grabbing a Crash Fish with the gravity gun and the chucking the little horror at your target? It's worth a try!
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I've never been able to get a Crash close enough to a Stalker to hold him in the charged field long enough to shoot him at the Stalker (before energy ran out). I *have* used the Crash as a missile to kill the plant he launched from, though. BTW, you can yank things through solid walls with the Propulsion Cannon - Crash from their tunnels right up through the rock into the open ocean, stinging drooper thingies right through base walls, etc.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited July 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    Now we have a gun control discussion.....
    It's nothing more than derailment and trolling.

Yeah sure I was just trolling him...right. :(
    But you are right in at least one point. This is offtopic so I stop any further discussion about it here.

@DagothUr Care to discuss this in a seperate thread?
    scubamatt wrote: »
    I've never been able to get a Crash close enough to a Stalker to hold him in the charged field long enough to shoot him at the Stalker (before energy ran out). I *have* used the Crash as a missile to kill the plant he launched from, though. BTW, you can yank things through solid walls with the Propulsion Cannon - Crash from their tunnels right up through the rock into the open ocean, stinging drooper thingies right through base walls, etc.

Unfortunately, there were no Crash near the base. Just lots of fish and LOTS of acid mushrooms which seem to be the next best thing. Y'know? I'm surprised I didn't hit any mushroom patches...
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Interesting tangent guys, but yes, a different thread. Btw, I hadn't considered the issue from the angle of percentages you mentioned, Dagoth. Thanks for that.
  • rkalorkalo Join Date: 2016-07-20 Member: 220493Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    @DagothUr It's true that human nature hasn't really changed since 2,000 years ago, but guns do make it a LOT easier to kill and maim. You can kill someone in a fit of rage with a gun that you wouldn't have been physically able to with a knife, and you can kill a lot more people a lot more quickly. Our technology has definitely advanced more quickly than our behavior.

so you would rather make civilians defend themselves with knives instead of firearms?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Alright, as much as I disagree with all the people who think that guns are the root of all evil, anyone who says that they need guns to defend themselves is just plain wrong.
    Um... this thread is about using acid mushrooms to kill things (such as pesky stalkers). Please keep gun discussion out of it. There's already enough trouble with the things as it is.

And I took down another stalker with more mushrooms. Why would they show up so far inside the Safe Shallows?
    The thing about crash fish is that they make no damn sense. An animal who's only defense is to kill itself? Pretty sure there's a reason we don't see too many creatures like that in the real world (hint: natural selection).

Only creature I can think of with a suicidal defense is the honeybee, but it's only the sexless drones that die. Their source of reproduction - the queens and the males - do not engage in kamikaze behavior. Therefore the drone behavior doesn't diminish the species' ability to reproduce in anyway.

Crash fish, though... well, first there isn't that many of them to start with. Clearly not colony animals. Do they lay their eggs in crash plants? I've never even seen them socialize or leave their plants for any reason other than to kamikaze, so perhaps they're hermaphroditic and reproduce asexually?

I'm thinking of the relationship of the "Aliens" franchise "Facehugger" to the species itself. Each facehugger has a 100% fatality rate - it is birthed from the Alien Queen. Facehuggers don't breed more facehuggers - they breed xenomorphs instead. And the xenomorphs don't breen more xenomorphs - they breed facehuggers. They're basically two separate species that depend on each other the reproduce, as each can only create the other.

So maybe the crash fish and crash plants have a similar arrangements. Maybe the crash fish don't even reproduce at all - maybe they're nothing more than the "fruit" of the crash plant, grown by the plant to serve the plant. A hijacked organism, once independent, that is now the genetic slave to a host organism. Like mitochondria.
    Why would they show up so far inside the Safe Shallows?
    They seem to get lost chasing fish. Same happens with Sandsharks. Just show them the way home with a close range nudge from the Propulsion Cannon.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Why would they show up so far inside the Safe Shallows?
    They seem to get lost chasing fish. Same happens with Sandsharks. Just show them the way home with a close range nudge from the Propulsion Cannon.

Tried that on the stalker I had to kill. Instead of staying in the kelp forest it returned to where my base was, ready to take more bites out of me.
    rkalo wrote: »
    so you would rather make civilians defend themselves with knives instead of firearms?
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Alright, as much as I disagree with all the people who think that guns are the root of all evil, anyone who says that they need guns to defend themselves is just plain wrong.

Guys I also like to discuss this further but aslong as no one starts a new thread about the "guns" topic we should not discuss it here further. Feel free do open up a thread and I will post there. Thanks.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    edited July 2016
    Interesting comment about the crash fish. I hadn't thought of them logically, just as an interesting game detail. Logically/naturally I completely agree they don't work...but this is yet another of the real world/game world disconnects that I don't mind.
    yomama wrote: »
    Interesting comment about the crash fish. I hadn't thought of them logically, just as an interesting game detail. Logically/naturally I completely agree they don't work...but this is yet another of the real world/game world disconnects that I don't mind.
    Maybe it's only the mature crash fishes which have already reproduced and are guarding the offspring/eggs in the crash plant that use the suicide tactic to discourage predators from eating the plant and thus the offspring.