Share Your Prefabs thread!

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited July 2016 in Mapping
Hey guys!

I'd like to encourage the use of the prefab tool by having a centralized location to host them and show them off.

To add other prefabs to your collection: simply place the .pfb files in your "%appdata%/Natural Selection 2/Editor/Prefabs" directory.

I'll start us off. I was bored, so I made a nice Tech Point prefab.
I'm hoping this will encourage more people to get involved in mapping, as there is now a super easy way of sharing bits and pieces of your work with others. :)

Comments

• VivisectorVivisector Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219168Members
    I was actually just thinking about trying to make some maps. I hope I see some more prefabs posted. The more I can have the easier it'll be to make things.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Made another thing! A circular thing of lights to go on large flat ceilings.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited July 2016
    Such an awesome function (prefab creation/placement), but so late in delivering such an option in the editor... but better late then never.

EDIT: this would have saved so many people, so much time & kept them mapping even longer & much faster. now its possible, but there not many people left on mapping. But huge thank you for all the effort!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Make sure to check your units in your editor, meters vs that other thing :tongue:
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Make sure to check your units in your editor, meters vs that other thing :tongue:

Stick to inches. Literally every map included in the game has dimensions based on inches, not meters. Would be pretty ugly if those got mixed up b/c of the prefab system. :(
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Such an awesome function (prefab creation/placement), but so late in delivering such an option in the editor... but better late then never.

EDIT: this would have saved so many people, so much time & kept them mapping even longer & much faster. now its possible, but there not many people left on mapping. But huge thank you for all the effort!

If only I'd had access to the editor source sooner! ;)

@Flaterectomy @Loki Get in here!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yep, that was exactly my point :D That entire feature should be removed if ya ask me! I expected grid units anyways coming from the almighty Valve Worldcraft AKA Hammer
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yep, that was exactly my point :D That entire feature should be removed if ya ask me! I expected grid units anyways coming from the almighty Valve Worldcraft AKA Hammer

I think beige once said that the truth is even weirder; apparently the engine calculates everything in meters, but converts it twice so the editor can be in inches...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    @Flaterectomy @Loki Get in here!
    I'm going on holiday, see you in two weeks! :tongue::trollface:

I think beige once said that the truth is even weirder; apparently the engine calculates everything in meters, but converts it twice so the editor can be in inches...

Yea, the actual units the engine uses is meters, but the accepted norm for the editor is to use inches (and ONLY inches :) ). Doesn't really make a difference though, you're not losing much floating point precision in that conversion.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Yea, the actual units the engine uses is meters, but the accepted norm for the editor is to use inches (and ONLY inches :) ). Doesn't really make a difference though, you're not losing much floating point precision in that conversion.

Still weird, though.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts