What if we didn't start with certain blueprints?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Suppose those all important blueprints (Scanner, Oxygen Tanks, Survival Knife, Rad Suit, batteries and Fins) were missing thanks to the damage your lifepod sustained during the crash? And in order to obtain the scanner your tablet computer directs you to a damaged (but working) scanner among some wreckage? Except this scanner can only scan ANOTHER scanner as well as a damaged battery which you're supposed to find in other wreckage piles around the Safe Shallows, giving you the blueprint to a fully working scanner which you can use to find the other blueprints? Would this just annoy players by adding to the grind?

Just curious, that's all. Not really a suggestion (Personally I would be slightly annoyed, but wouldn't complain). :smile:

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    To be honest, I think that's exactly the sort of thing the game needs.

After your first play through you are extremely familiar with what you need and where to get it. You can have a fully self sustaining base built in about an hour, less if you push for the island immediately. I've never felt the same wonder/puzzlement/fear as I did that first time.

The early game must be extended and made harder, the player must be forced to take more risk.

The comms array could be working right away, and directs you to maybe 3-5 different escape pods. They should be in quite far off places, even in Reaper territory, whatever. So you have to be extremely careful getting to them just to unlock the basic tools and equipment to continue.

What tool you find in each pod could be randomised, so each play through has an unknown aspect.

I approve.
  • DurzannDurzann France Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219575Members
    edited July 2016
    scubamatt wrote: »
    If you want to extend the development curve for a player, do it in the mid game, not the early game.

Exactly.

(and the end game too).

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I guess you raise a valid point. I could see it putting off newcomers I guess.

I'm just feeling a little bit disheartened that I do so well early, I suppose. I need more challenge, I don't even remember the last time I died any more.
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    More new stuff to find. People build inspiring bases and almost nothing to fill it with. I collect lots off stuff like copper and almost no use for it in the latter game. Agree that the starting game is difficult enough , but now the latter game needs more flesh. Finding doors to cut open and then find nothing inside has me now just skipping it.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    Hm for new players this would go too far in some places. I would rather go for something like having the O2 tank upgrades locked as well as radiation suit and re-breather. The sort of stuff you don't need to build a small base but that extends your operational radius.
    I really like the idea though. Maybe have that as a veteran gamemode along with new fragment/wreckage locations etc?
    If we get adequate modding support I bet that will be immediately done by the community anyway.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    This is one of the reasons I proposed alternate starts: So that players can customize the level of difficulty the want even further.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    The way you described it that would be sick! the devs have already made models for damaged tech like the builder and scanner and welder! this would be perfect!
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    we need more fragments too. make more of the stuff we start with fragments. we have entire wrecks without fragments!
    the floating islands wreck is empty!
  • JB940JB940 Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220248Members
    I must admit, as someone who started his own first run a short while back, even while reading the wiki and watching videos about subnautica, and still having had hours to search for the most basic stuff and getting killed dozens of times, I feel like making the early game EVEN harder would be a total turn off.

I do agree, this game needs replayability in some way. This is mostly because everything has a fixed location I feel, though. (I mean.. the map can be, but why can't all abandoned stuff and wrecks be placed randomly afterward?), it would merely be some co-ordinates. Maybe have a bunch of fixed spots of which clipping in the ground will not happen, and then just fill in those spots randomly.

Same with item collecting imo.

This would already add a huge variety, aswell as not just diving for the fragments instantly, scanning your stuff and quickly being in the endgame immediately.

While i understand you want the game to be harder, I thought at it's core it was an exploration game. I couldn't start doing the cool exploring till long in the game.
    As a newbie without information, you'll see the game in a whole different way. You see a huge ship and the only idea is "I must go back there!".

I tried finding a way to get there without any items whatsoever (I mean.. what do I know about the game?) Died a bunch of times before realising that wasnt even the intention of the ship/game at the start.

I feel like the early game should be made longer (but easier, more explanatory), in a newbie friendly way. and the midgame should have more challenges/become harder, preferably optional even, so one can explore tons or do tons if they so want to, but don't need it if they really want to make cool bases.
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    Honestly I thought they were being a little generous with the number of blueprints we start with. I fully expect that to change. I expect they'll reduce the number of blueprints we start with so we have to work to unlock them. I also expect the cost to build things is going to increase at some point and deconstructing things isn't going to give back the full amount of materials used to build it. If they do that though I really hope they make it so resources respawn. I'm also hoping the current state of loot found in wrecks and whatnot is not final and they're going to add more blueprints and other items to find and scan.
    Siege wrote: »
    Honestly I thought they were being a little generous with the number of blueprints we start with. I fully expect that to change. I expect they'll reduce the number of blueprints we start with so we have to work to unlock them. I also expect the cost to build things is going to increase at some point and deconstructing things isn't going to give back the full amount of materials used to build it. If they do that though I really hope they make it so resources respawn. I'm also hoping the current state of loot found in wrecks and whatnot is not final and they're going to add more blueprints and other items to find and scan.

I hope they will reduce it by 1, maybe 1 or 2 more. I'd love to have an example blue print that shows players how the scanner works and unlocks something basic. Maybe a bit more non forced tutorials will speed up blind playing a lot (not being stuck on just vague game mechanics)
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think it would be interesting if you would only start with a scanner in your pod and then get told to pick it up, go diving and scan stuff so we can figure out what is usable for your survival. Can't even cook a fish without it being scanned first.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    As is right now, the builder tool will be more or less empty when you first acquire it, and will have to use the scanner to fill its menu with BP's. I dont see any reason to exclude anything from the fabricator. Not sure when they are going to empty the builder, but I am looking forward to it.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited July 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    I think it would be interesting if you would only start with a scanner in your pod and then get told to pick it up, go diving and scan stuff so we can figure out what is usable for your survival. Can't even cook a fish without it being scanned first.

I like the 'scan fish for food' aspect of this idea. Instead of the way it works now (you grab a fish and poof it tells you that you have discovered recipes etc) you should have to scan everything you want to eat with the Scanner tool before the recipes unlock, which means you eat it raw until you scan it (and then can cook it for better nutrition).

Don't forget, the Devs have already said they plan to remove the Habitat Builder Tool from the starting blueprints - you will have to find *those* blueprints before you can make the HabTool (and thus, any kind of base).
  • AncoliusAncolius Nederland Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201148Members
    I kinda like the idea though, it should be more developed giving starting players a clue.

Most likely you're character is an engineer working on the life-pods since he is so close to one hes the only (known) survivor and the panel gets lose so easily suggesting it was closed in a hurry and knowing to use all tools so some idea on how to make simple and repairing things should feel natural.

So starting without anything wouldn't be that far fetched.

How ever he should have a welding tool (not the blueprint) so he can repair the pod and the transmitter so he can pickup automated distress signals from the other pods adding them to the hud like the ones you now equip to show an location

Being an engineer he can just program a basic knife in to the fabricator as for the rest he could pickup a couple of broken scanners from the pods repair them with the fabricator so its scanned and the first one has a free battery.

There should be floating corpses around anyway so scanning a couple of spacesuits for air tanks and rad suits from core workers wouldn't be that weird to get a print for those.
    one could even use a combat suit for the water recyclingsystem for the suit.

Would be a interesting side mission to recover all the bodies.
    ... recover all the bodies and give them a proper burial at sea.
    edited July 2016
    more likely use them for something else like fuel or to create fertilizer :p
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    ... recover all the bodies and give them a proper burial at sea.
    There were only 101 people on board, so you're not getting a sea of floating bodies. Whoever didn't make it to an escape pod was most likely killed in the crash and then cremated with the reactor explosion. Whatever bits left were quickly eaten by cave crawlers.

Not much left to do other than building a memorial.
    true, if the reactor exploded before getting hit and cracking the ship open.
    Anything not bolted down would have been sucked out during the crash partly in space and on the way down, it should be raining parts for years depending the gravity of the planet considering hazard suits like combat, space and radiation suits most likely are made to to handle a little thing as heat and would keep body's together. even a ww2 flight suit would keep a body together falling at 321MPH and hitting water or land.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We definitely have been planning to remove many of the blueprints the player currently starts the game with, for quite some time. Indeed it could make the game much harder for new players, so we'll need to be cautious, but at the same time we know it's important for the game's progression.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited July 2016
    The idea I had about finding a broken scanner then finding broken equipment to scan would be limited to the Safe Shallows, of course. There are piles of wreckage (and at least one explorable wreck near a hotspot) where a new player would look while being relatively safe (sandsharks and stalkers do like to come in now and then). The idea was to encourage the new player to explore around for a bit and get a feel of the game's environment while not having to worry too much about being eaten. Wouldn't want the new player looking around the map in areas too dangerous for them just to find the most basic equipment...
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    If you really want to complicate things:

Pod contains a new item: Computer.

Scanner itself has limited RAM. You have to go back to the Computer and dump everything into it periodically.

Eventually the computer gets full, and needs a hard drive upgrades of it's own to hold more blueprints. For the sake of not-breaking-the-game make sure that this upgrade does not, in itself, need to be scanned. It's ROM on the computer to start with. Every blueprints takes X number of memory units (MU). Each upgrade adds X number of MU to computer, infinitely expandable.
  • HassassinHassassin Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218554Members
    Come to think about it, perhaps the "survival" difficulity could remain the same, that way you dont drive new players away from the game for being a bit too complex for them (if that would seem to be the case)
    I tried survival once and after that I went straight for hardcore mode and never went back to survival again. I died really rarely in fact I delete the save and go again if I get really bored. So maybe more items could be locked in hardcore mode ex. oxygen tank, radioactive suit ect...

There could be a slight warning at the start of the game as there is that you only have one life. This way you make the game a bit longer and harder with the possibility of still going easy-survival mode for begginers.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    That would make sense. The devs have models for damaged tech. It would be annoying for people who just started and don't know what PDA lady is saying. (well the steam forms would go BOOOOOOOOOOM)
    Hassassin wrote: »
    Come to think about it, perhaps the "survival" difficulity could remain the same, that way you dont drive new players away from the game for being a bit too complex for them (if that would seem to be the case)
    I tried survival once and after that I went straight for hardcore mode and never went back to survival again. I died really rarely in fact I delete the save and go again if I get really bored
    I haven't seen ANY difference between Survival and Hardcore modes, except the audible warning when your air supply is low. The permadeath aspect of hardcore is nice, but I can play exactly the same way in Survival mode (and have the audible low air warning). Hardcore...isn't, really.
    Hardcore mode is the prime example currently of breaking the "don't like it? Don't use it" rule. You can do exactly Hardcore, using no tanks or whatever, in survival. The only difference is literally the air warning.

For me it feels like there's potential but currently it's just wasted. Though I'm not sure how they can make Hardcore different than survival. Maybe even more damage taken, smarter Al and stuff like that.
    JB940 wrote: »

For me it feels like there's potential but currently it's just wasted. Though I'm not sure how they can make Hardcore different than survival. Maybe even more damage taken, smarter Al and stuff like that.

I think that warrants its own thread, actually. off I go to make one. :)
  • everdbesteverdbest Malta Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215607Members
    I have an idea, maybe some new game-modes : Veteran Survivalist and Hardcore 2.0. I have other ideas but aren't for this topic.
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    What I really like in this game is building process, aquiring a new blueprint is one of the "hand-tremorous" moments. But 3-5 hours of gaming and this feelings blew away because "oh year, nuclear reactor... ok, build it... whatever... 500 energy? Good. Ok, whats next?"
    Maybe it's the point of Hardcore - make the game harder to play this way. You build smth? Build the pipes! And wiring! No wiring - no energy, bit**! And no oxygen too! Oh you build all of that? ALARM! reactor is broken! RADIATION LEVELS CRITICAL! Repair it now!!! After that - build radiation shields! You have no blueprint??? MELT DOWN, PATHETIC HUMAN!!! [*sarcastic robo-laughing*]
    My suggestion - make it harder to achieve blueprints. Make more blueprints for one entity, make ecosystems of machinery. Make it unstable.
    By now, bases is big box for titanium, lithium and grocery. And some rubber. And battaries... And so on.
    My opinion, Hardcore means HARD to do anything, not permadeath.

Think I must make a standalone post about that ideas about damging and blueprints...