NS2Free2PLay

openyafaceupopenyafaceup Australia Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201057Members
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So with the release of evolve's new free to play model i thought this would bring up the topic
keep im mind im am garbage at this .

But i though maybe if you guys still wanted money out of the game you could do a "trimmed" version of it with the aim of encouraging new players to buy the full versions of the game with added extras upon purchase .....if you wanted to be tight about it ....or something your the 'devs'

MY SUGGESTION is to just give them the maps tram and veil no skins etc .

There are so many reasons why ns2 should go free to play im not going to bother to list them.

WE NEED NEW PLAYERS !!!!

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    So with the release of evolve's new free to play model i thought this would bring up the topic
    keep im mind im am garbage at this .

But i though maybe if you guys still wanted money out of the game you could do a "trimmed" version of it with the aim of encouraging new players to buy the full versions of the game with added extras upon purchase .....if you wanted to be tight about it ....or something your the 'devs'

MY SUGGESTION is to just give them the maps tram and veil no skins etc .

There are so many reasons why ns2 should go free to play im not going to bother to list them.

WE NEED NEW PLAYERS !!!!

We're keeping a close eye on how well this works for Evolve.

Even if NS2 was to go free to play, we wouldn't be able to flip that switch any time soon. There's still a lot of hurdles to get past before it would even be worth doing. For example, there's no point in having a huge surge of players right now while we don't have a proper matchmaking system. Also, we would need to figure out how to keep the game profitable, and the most obvious answer there is cosmetic dlc. At this moment, we technically don't have the capability to add very much more dlc to the game, not without going to 64-bit.

Also, I doubt we would go the route of restricting maps for f2p users -- this would only make those maps that much more over-played, and would also fragment the playerbase.

It's also worth noting that -- prior to Evolve going f2p -- we had more players than them... :) Not quite sure what that means... I guess that we could slide a bit further down before considering the nuclear option.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    The numbers will not rise substantially unless something is done mate, I hope you and the team know that.

Saying that there's no need for more players, because we never got a matchmaking system, makes my heart bleed a little. I always wanted that, but I always loved ns2 for what it was, the private servers and their players are old school quality. There's plenty of great servers, both unpopped and popped, that could greatly benefit from new blood coming in. Some vets out there, like yourself, loves to help out new players figure out ns2, and try new things with the fresh ideas they bring.

Why not show the rest of the world why we have so much fun each sunday in SCC? (I know I have been a bit absent lately :'( ) Why we play and are so passionate about this great game.

You play your hand right you got a large player base ready to consume whatever you cook up in the meantime. Those that come in, and would like to support already, have a few options of doing so right now. I do believe that you'd generate more than hard game sales.

Also I hope you don't take this reply personal <3
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Also, I doubt we would go the route of restricting maps for f2p users -- this would only make those maps that much more over-played, and would also fragment the playerbase.

Straight up limiting the maps is a bad idea, but having official f2p servers that both f2p'ers and existing owners can join that rotate between like a set of 3 maps every week to two weeks could be a good way of having some lesser played maps get more attention. Upgrading to the full game would allow them to join any public server like usual.

I personally believe this would be the best setup for everyone involved, it would allow interested players to get a taste of ns2 and continue to fill servers which both free and paid users can enjoy, while server communities would continue have a paywall to cut down on "smurfs and hackers" from infesting their own games.
  • openyafaceupopenyafaceup Australia Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201057Members
    edited July 2016
    The limited maps was just an example of what could be done, sure there would need to be some sort of balance improvement , I just think it would be the best way to go about things where everyone wins ...ie devs win due to more people purchasing skins and or the full version of the game ( if there was to be a variant perhaps ns2 combat ? ) , and it introduces more players and more skilled players in the long run hopefully just generally more players and servers hell id go as far as to say the plushy sales would go up . id keep an eye on evolve and see how that does is a good way top judge the idea I think the player base was bigger in ns .

there must be a good way to go about this where every one wins and is balanced
    just dont make it
    gimmicky
    as
    hell
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    We just had a thread on this that went 4 pages so far. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143621/a-bright-future-of-ns2-or-death/p1
    Take a look if you want to see the discussion.
  • openyafaceupopenyafaceup Australia Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201057Members
    as long as were all making noise =)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vert^ wrote: »
    ...Saying that there's no need for more players...

Who said that? That's certainly not what I was saying. I'm saying... you can only "go" f2p once. Better not waste it when the game isn't ready for it yet.

F2P only worth it if we have a team of newly formed skinners releasing new skins on a regular basis which are also given a financial incentive as a reward for their hardwork.

Call them UWMT (Unknown Worlds Modding Team) if you will, we have the platform in place for this to thrive but it needs to be done properly, if you wish to sustain a steady income from a F2P model.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Who said that? That's certainly not what I was saying. I'm saying... you can only "go" f2p once. Better not waste it when the game isn't ready for it yet.

F2P only worth it if we have a team of newly formed skinners releasing new skins on a regular basis which are also given a financial incentive as a reward for their hardwork.

Call them UWMT (Unknown Worlds Modding Team) if you will, we have the platform in place for this to thrive but it needs to be done properly, if you wish to sustain a steady income from a F2P model.

Even before something like that could happen, we'd need a better way of doing skins in ns2 -- technically, I mean.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    make this happen

Like @BeigeAlert said, either A. NS2 moves over to 64bit or B. There needs to be a more efficient way of creating all this additional content without breaching the memory limit.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    how much will you offer to independent modder who will come with solution to allow customization of skins without memory usage problems ?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2016
    ZycaR wrote: »
    how much will you offer to independent modder who will come with solution to allow customization of skins without memory usage problems ?

I don't think that's achievable (custom skins without significantly increased memory usage) through a mod. Or you'd have to go hard-core C hook with sigscanning and stuff
    @Yojimbo WHAT'S THE TAG FOR EMBEDDED VIDS? Can't find it and drives me mad xD
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »

There isn't one. Just post them.
    *plays with moustache* ~AurOn2
    edited July 2016

Any moment now, iron horse will swoop by and edit our posts with /spoiler tag ;)
    Only for your posts.. -Iron
    edited July 2016

Mate I listed that as a Con myself in another thread, so while I do support your view, I do believe the game is ready..
    There's still a lot of hurdles to get past before it would even be worth doing. For example, there's no point in having a huge surge of players right now while we don't have a proper matchmaking system.

You did say exactly what I mentioned? You said there's no need for many new people because of lack of MM. I still strongly disagree with this statement, as I mentioned in the first reply. Our game and servers need them, like yesterday. I don't see why its preferred to let the numbers keep bleeding, just because we're far off a perfect f2p setup.. Either we work towards it from now on, or UWE should just come out and say ns2 will stay its course while it can, then people would drop the idea of trying to show UWE the f2p light.. We all want this game to get above 500 people, but it is not going to happen with the current model and priorities.
    edited July 2016
    I don't think that's achievable (custom skins without significantly increased memory usage) through a mod. Or you'd have to go hard-core C hook with sigscanning and stuff

jy6dlu1p2exd.gif
    I hope it's enough as proof .. it was modified in running game :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2016

Any moment now, iron horse will swoop by and edit our posts with /spoiler tag ;)

You know, I was so close to mentioning that in the original post :D
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016

jy6dlu1p2exd.gif

I assume that is based on the concept of McGlaspies's ColoredSkinsMixin which is based on applying various color maps on given entities via surface space shading.

That method can be seen as delta based material swap method and indeed needs less memory than the model based skin system that is currently used in vanilla. However due to the fact how the texture stream buffer works this method does not solve the limited memory space issue at all as you will still run out of allocatable space pretty soon as well.

Keep in mind we are talking about potentially adding over 100 new skins here and not just a few which could be done with a few trade offs.

But be assured we have been talking about issues like these the last few years a lot internally and I'm sure we can come up with future proof and stable solutions.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff

Mua.. mua.. Muahaha...
    I beat him to it. :3
    Anyway
    TL;DR NS2Free2Play isn't happening any time soon.
    As i said in the other thread.... a free weekend would do wonders for playercount.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    As i said in the other thread.... a free weekend would do wonders for playercount.

...for a weekend.
    AurOn2 wrote: »

Mua.. mua.. Muahaha...
    I beat him to it. :3
    Anyway
    TL;DR NS2Free2Play isn't happening any time soon.
    They didn't add many in the past once the weekends were over..
    edited July 2016
    I assume that is based on the concept of McGlaspies's ColoredSkinsMixin which is based on applying various color maps on given entities via material space shading.

That method can be seen as delta based material swap method and indeed needs less memory than the model based skin system that is currently used in vanilla. However due to the fact how the texture stream buffer works this method does not solve the limited memory space issue at all as you will still run out of allocatable space pretty soon as well.

Keep in mind we are talking about potentially adding over 100 new skins here and not just a few which could be done with a few trade offs.

But be assured we have been talking about issues like these the last few years a lot internally and I'm sure we can come up with future proof and stable solutions.
    I'll not give more hints now and here, but concept of custom skins should be good.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

jy6dlu1p2exd.gif

I assume that is based on the concept of McGlaspies's ColoredSkinsMixin which is based on applying various color maps on given entities via surface space shading.

The thing is that it should have top priority. Preparing for F2P needs time and getting the technical requirements for it done is more important than doing random changes in gameplay and balance.

Also I believe matchmaking is not needed at all. People who are not clever enough to use a server browser are probably not the people who like a complex game like NS2.

And in terms of skins I hope "100 new skins" is not really the thing you would want to achieve. The possibility to change between many skins is just boring, the only interesting thing would be to alter the own character in a dynamic way. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2262888/#Comment_2262888
    ... the only interesting thing would be to alter the own character in a dynamic way. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2262888/#Comment_2262888
    I lol'd (same method as presented with colors)
    camlmxay40vr.jpg

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ... the only interesting thing would be to alter the own character in a dynamic way. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2262888/#Comment_2262888
    I lol'd (same method as presented with colors)
    camlmxay40vr.jpg

Let me quote myself here:
    1. Let the cosmetics be authentic. Really when I see a marine wearing a Santa Claus hat I will quit this game. It would completely destroy the atmosphere.
    @The_Welsh_Wizard: I'm not good at making skins, it's just a proof of concept (trollface is just a joke for friend of my) that basic marines can be customizable per player.