A bright future of NS2 or Death?

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Evolve free 2 play fruit game now:
    51,099 players in 24-hour peak, that could be ns2 instead of 408 (they had HALF the players then ns2 just 3 days ago
    im assuming even if 408 people out of 50.000 bought something ingame with microtransaction or skins thats more then ns2 got this whole month?
    the beginning would be a bit uphill in the biginning if ns2 was free but once people realized how good the game was the community would grow.
    they simply need to know this exist even i did not knew about ns2 until i clicked a wrong link on youtube somebody was playing as an alien etc.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Rather simplistic view of F2P, there are plenty of cosmetic only F2P games that do well.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Name me a few successfull ones beside TF2 please.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    Name me a few successfull ones beside TF2 please.

well the easiest one is DOTA2, mildly successful. Wouldn't call that braindead either.
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    F2P would be great but i think allot of things in the game need to be simplified.
    And i'm not a fan of simplifying the game at all.
    there is planetside 2 closed this month i think but was successful but never played it.
    F2P needs simpler ways for new players to approach the game, however i rather have a bit easyer accessable ns2 tweaked and 50k players then ns2 we got now and NO players soon.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »
    if NS3 indeed is a thing @Zavaro then most issues with this engine can definatly be solved as of lua my scripter friend tried to explain why it was slower and how to enhance the speed of it in ns2, he is software developer but i could not keep track of anything so ultimatly just agreed that it was faster loading times in ANY other game with pricetag or without. for an indie game i completely understand how its not optimized but over so many years i almost hoped it would somehow improve and it have but not noticibly. Other game load maps in 5 or 10 seconds as in ns2 even with i7 cpu it can take full minute depending on Harddrive or even longer if its the first map of the day your connecting to.

After playing Space Engineers loading times in NS2 feel like super fast.
    ezekel i tried evolve they have some charecters you can buy in the store the rest is litterally pink skins for guns and camos, the game is same exact state as the paying version just ingame store link. its not hard to make 20 .dds files for the marketplace and release ns2 "FREE" so anyone can play and get playerbase but for "pay only" there would be another button then like regular ns2 then ELITE or call it something fancy.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would rather not see NS2 become free to play without more dedicated skinners and mappers with a slight financial incentive for them to release good quality skins at a deadline, we have the platform in place already for a thriving market but not enough talent to sustain it at a consistent rate.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I would rather not see NS2 become free to play without more dedicated skinners and mappers with a slight financial incentive for them to release good quality skins at a deadline, we have the platform in place already for a thriving market but not enough talent to sustain it at a consistent rate.

We need a x64 exe before we can do that. More skins = more memory usage.
    A x64 exe might not even be enough. I wouldn't want NS2 to use 8GB of vram with 42 different skins in a server. I don't know how much memory a skin takes, but still.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Nordic wrote: »

A x64 exe might not even be enough. I wouldn't want NS2 to use 8GB of vram with 42 different skins in a server. I don't know how much memory a skin takes, but still.

So how can we generate more income from a f2p game if the game itself limits us from doing so?
    edited July 2016
    #meatmachine i made black marines with 12 minutes in photoshop 3 years ago this is the old version:
    c6uoyWU.jpg
    But i remade it last year because i could not find where i put original .dds file so it looks even BETTER now but UWE rather have 12 identical male or female Clones as characters. i suggested multiple nationalities and now after dlc´s you can custumize badges and armors so why not the FACE? that could be step 1 into making the game more appealing sure its small change and you never see your face ingame but its just what people expect now a days and its simple to do. Forgot to mention ns2 have DUPLICATE TEXTURES appearing in different folders, removing duplicates can have face customization with same memory usage or even less...
    #meatmachine i made black marines with 12 minutes in photoshop 3 years ago:
    c6uoyWU.jpg
    i remade it last year because i could not find where i put original .dds file so it looks even better now but UWE rather have 12 identical male or female clones as characters. i suggested multiple nationalities and now after dlc´s you can custumize badges and armors so why not the FACE? that could be step 1 into making the game more appealing sure its small change and you never see your face ingame but its just what people expect now a days and its simple to do.

We have black marines already, does no one seriously look at the marine models anymore, I see at least 1 black person in the ready room at any given time :neutral:
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    We have black marines already, does no one seriously look at the marine models anymore, I see at least 1 black person in the ready room at any given time :neutral:

That's a Wooza's server addon, replaces most if not all of the current male marine models with one of a different skin color.

Which is besides the point, as he was referring to those options to personalize his marine.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

So how can we generate more income from a f2p game if the game itself limits us from doing so?

First step, get an x64 exe. If that is not enough, and skins take a fair bit of memory, then optimize it so it uses less memory. So, a lot of work.
    edited July 2016
    LPrTO06.png
    #Yojimbo its on on woozas because i send it to him, who did you think made it? UWE? lol now its an addon there (but not an personalize option)
    did not make a female version because im using my laptop alot recently so cannot play ns2 or use photoshop on here. if a random person can make multinational marine why do you think it would be hard for a game that sold thousands of copys to put cuple customizable skin textures in?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    LPrTO06.png
    #Yojimbo its on on woozas because i send it to him, who did you think made it? UWE? lol now its an addon there (but not an personalize option)
    did not make a female version because im using my laptop alot recently so cannot play ns2 or use photoshop on here. if a random person can make multinational marine why do you think it would be hard for a game that sold thousands of copys to put cuple customizable skin textures in?

First step, get an x64 exe. If that is not enough, and skins take a fair bit of memory, then optimize it so it uses less memory. So, a lot of work.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

The longer it takes to start happening the less likely it'll be to ever happen. A big engine update and cosmetics revamp could add a bit more life back in the game, but if it's seen as a last resort it probably won't be considered to be worth the investment by then.
    I am not sure it is seen to be worth the investment now. They might as well go make NS3 for the amount of work it would be.
    edited July 2016
    count how many years ns2 took to make (with 300+ updates included) then count if you will be alive by the time NS3 will come out. removing the price tag of the game takes how many seconds? and gain even if "ONLY" 10000 new players their only complaint would be OH NO i cant spend my cash on ingame items or cosmetics, that wont change the fact the game is alive and full of players once again tho, so would be plenty of time adding cuple gun skins or armor skins with bubbles and flowers and unicorns and whatever people expect from a free2play.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    count how many years ns2 took to make (with 300+ updates included) then count if you will be alive by the time NS3 will come out. removing the price tag of the game takes how many seconds? and gain even if "ONLY" 10000 new players their only complaint would be OH NO i cant spend my cash on ingame items or cosmetics, that wont change the fact the game is alive and full of players once again tho, so would be plenty of time adding cuple gun skins or armor skins with bubbles and flowers and unicorns and whatever people expect from a free2play.

Folks, we have a businessman right here, someone who clearly understands the ins and outs of how the games industry, and more specifically the F2P games industry really works...

/s

Honestly, going F2P right now, would kill NS2 in a matter of a few months... it is FAR deeper that just "removing the price tag", without proper preparation and careful planning it can result in serious issues that would cause way more problems that even I am able to think of... and I can think of a LOT!
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    edited July 2016
    I honestly see no reason for ns2 to stay on its current model, other than the opinion of UWE and major voices in the community being against it for various reasons.

Making the game free will without a doubt, in my mind, prove to be this game's second chance in terms of a larger populace.

My personal pro's and con's go something like..

Pro:
    * Already on steam which people love to try free games out at.

* Already strongly into skins, emblems and the steam workshop, which could work to support a freemium model.

* Has one of the most helpful communities, considering it's such a small player base and is less toxic than most newer games.

* Still stand on its own with the game's mix of fps and rts.

* Prominent names, that tie the game together, have voiced concern about UWE not doing anything to try and save the game on steam charts, by at least trying f2p or a demo that last longer than a free weekend. This would motivate them to continue mapping, modding or playing ns2, and their work will be missed when they stop soon.

* UWE could make retail buyers stand out with goodies, which could bring previous retail players back.

Cons:

* Many players retain a bad view on f2p games. Either they hate the model or they are old timers who cba to view on micro transactions.

* You can't pull back an f2p label, and suddenly make ns2 cost money again if it fails.

* The gameplay in ns2 is pretty far from what people expect in a free game (can be a pro?)

* People fear that veterans would stomp on all the new rookies, due to a high skill ceiling. UWE does not want to turn a successful selling game, into a free game that a lot of new folks would find unfunny. This is equal to alienating the loyal customers with giving UWE themselves a bad reputation for future paid endeavors they'd pursue. (I read a previous post in this thread talk about smurfs, but I don't really understand the fuzz, since we have no ranked match making anyway? If people mean that veterans will gang up on new acc's to play Rookie only games, well.. It's a way to play the game too, even if we don't agree it's fair, we have no right to dictates other peoples "fun", as long as they don't actually cheat; TLDR: I don't view smurf acc's as cheat, as I myself like to play on smurf accounts in various games, without the "main account stats concern" from time to time.)

As you can see my view is pretty equal on both sides.. Nothing hides the true fact though, that the game is bleeding players.

I played the unpatched version of Jedi Knight II: Jedi outcast for nearly 11 years. We had around 80-120 people in and out of various message boards and 20-26 people playing ctf on 3-5 servers. That game was alive and well for a decade, even if it was just us populating it. We joked that it would never die.. And for over 10 years that was true. There was however no chance that it would get more players. Firstly we played the unpatched version and secondly it was very hard to master, took me years speed running on yavin and there's still faster players than me today, both flag runners and cappers.

The game is dead today though, and the two killing blows was that, when Lucas arts was bought by Disney, they outsourced the master server operation for MP and revoked all the mods my roommate and his jk2 friend made such as anti cheat and unit movespeed meter in ctf like quake 3s' defrag mode showed it. That lead to the second killing blow, every major passionate player lost the will to play the game, because the merger literally shat on those 120 people, that spend a decade mastering and improving a game they loved...

I fear history repeating it self with ns2..
    The devs lack of will or enthusiasm to give the freemium model a go, can be compared with the merger.. in stead of arguing against it with the negative assumptions and irrational fears, they have taken a solid stand and argue it is not in the games interest, or the players, to go free to play.. The problem is just that there is also not a single ns2 player that enjoy the low population.

Many scapegoats have been framed for the bad player retention.. Wooza, CDT, and even UWE themselves. But ultimately its each and everyone of us that is to blame. We should let the devs know we think the game needs new life, not just throw tantrums and attack the other camp.

If ns2 stay it's course, it will never be invigorated. I do however trust the devs do something, if not f2p.. Going from modders to a full blown studio, have earned you respect in taking whatever decision you take UWE, I just hope you remember me and others who have poured our hearts into ns 1 & 2, even if our opinion is that the time has come for ns2 to be free (pun intended)

❤ Vert.

i only see ONE con: * Many players retain a bad view on f2p games. Either they hate the model or they are old timers who cba to view on micro transactions.

with 200-400 players sure lets say 25% is "stompingly good thats still 50 or 100 people newcomers could assume was hackers but with 25000-50000 new people that leaves us with 24800 - 48800 people of the SAME skill, and same knowledge of the game because they are new, those 100 people cannot be in all servers at once, most of the time they wont even be playing simultaniously because its spread around the globe so 50 of them wont play due to sleep or work or life gets in way, its a NON-rpoblem,

PRO * The gameplay in ns2 is pretty far from what people expect in a free game its the one thing this game have going for it, people wont expect how tactical it is, i surtently never did until i stopped shooting anything that moved and started paying attention to orders and resources etc its way beyond any free2play shooter.
    They might miss out on a cuple game purchases for newcomers to ns2 september 2016 that try it and dont understand it then player base is even samller seems far worse then oh hey here is THOUSANDS OF NEW PEOPLE and they want badass skins and dank armors and cooler disco colored flamethrowers sure it looks stupid but i rather see a purple glitter flamer then this game dying with 25% veterans that have nobody to play with.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

That's... not how it works...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Pelargir almost:
    Pelargir wrote: »
    tl;dr F2P will never be introduced on NS2 properly.