Buff Marines: Finish the 2016 balance changes before end of summer

13»

Comments

• NekrageNekrage Join Date: 2007-07-20 Member: 61635Members
    Wait so...it's not just my guild thinking Marines are underpowered?

Is there actually a planned balance patch for the Marines?

P.S. It just seems wrong that Marines can only have 3 turrets in any given area and they are not 360 degrees yet aliens can have tons that attack from all angles. Am I the only one who feels this way?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016
    Nekrage wrote: »

P.S. It just seems wrong that Marines can only have 3 turrets in any given area and they are not 360 degrees yet aliens can have tons that attack from all angles. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Well not when you consider a few things.

1) Whips are short range and can be sniped easily by Marines who are long range.
    2) Sentries are long range and Aliens have to get into melee range to bite them.

If you made sentries have a 360 degree firing radius they would become so insanely overpowered that they would become required tech for easy Marine wins...
    If you made it so you could drop more sentries per room then you can have them cover each other more, which essentially is the same as giving them a 360 degree firing radius.
    If you cut back on the # of whips allowed per room it would become stupid easy to stand outside their range and snipe them.
    If you remove the 360 degree firing radius of whips it becomes a nightmare for the comm to position them the correct way (especially if he has to move them)

I think sentries and whips are pretty well balanced at the moment. Though whips should deflect at least a % of grenades like they used to in order to help cut back on the insane amount of nade spam that can happen in pubs.
  • NekrageNekrage Join Date: 2007-07-20 Member: 61635Members
    I suppose you are right, just trying to think of ways that we can fix this obvious Marines vs. Aliens imbalance.

I just feel so...cheap when I am playing Aliens. I can feel the overpowered state that is the Aliens.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aliens are easy at lower skill levels. Marines dominate higher skill levels.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    Aliens are easy at lower skill levels. Marines dominate higher skill levels.

Not necessarily, it comes down to teamwork in the end, marines need teamwork to kill higher lifeforms whereas a solo good life form can carry a team if they either can't aim or don't focus fire. Fast games go in favor of marines before lifeforms pop up and the later the games go on for the more difficult marines become. From what ive found lately is that low elo is dominated by aliens for the most part, medium tends to favor marines a little more unless the aliens have a strong carry, and at elo over 2000 its mostly alien sided simply from game balance.

I think if you had div 1 games or even div 2 games going on with the current game balance that marines would have a very hard time
  • ImmortalKingImmortalKing Germany Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193131Members
    The only thing what marines need are phasegates that can be navigated and deactivated by the commander
    Like make A go to B to C then he changes his mind let marines go from A to C then to B
    If its overpowered revert it or change it
    it should be possible in that sci-fi age
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The only thing what marines need are phasegates that can be navigated and deactivated by the commander
    Like make A go to B to C then he changes his mind let marines go from A to C then to B
    If its overpowered revert it or change it
    it should be possible in that sci-fi age

I wouldn't say that's the only thing marines need, but I have been waiting for that feature for a long time.
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    Here's a few complaints I've heard on the forums:

Devour isn't in the game.
    Cysts are annoying to kill.
    Aliens are OP.

Therefore, buff marines by letting them devour cysts.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Give the HMG a purpose other than res trashcan

"Flayra's paperweight"
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    It just needs rifle butt, like the default weapon. That will fix everything. After all, rife butting has risen 300% since health bars let all marines perfectly plan their firing down to the last bullet.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Bike_Man wrote: »
    It just needs rifle butt, like the default weapon. That will fix everything. After all, rife butting has risen 300% since health bars let all marines perfectly plan their firing down to the last bullet.

I think it's more like 3000% rather than just 300%

I'll see more rifle butt kills in one night now than a year of playing before...
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I still think Compmod straight over ported to vanilla would have been best, personally. It worked wonders on @Gibs Gorge Hut during the earliest versions of v1 on a 24 slot server, and I'm sure that v4 or v5 would have been awesome to see in high pop public games, with the HMG. The thought process involved with all of that stuff was as fascinating.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    For a start, how about reducing Pulse Grenade self damage, and let sprint achieve max running speed a little faster?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited July 2016
    For a start, how about reducing Pulse Grenade self damage, and let sprint achieve max running speed a little faster?

Wat
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    Tell you what I was thinking is one possible solution if you really HAD to be different from comp mod, is to give the HMG a scaling damage bonus for consecutive bullets on a target, starting from roughly the number of bullets it'd take to kill, say, an cara 2 fade and scaling up to equivalent of W4 (or 5 or 4.343 or whatever), essentially making it super good against Onos in particular, providing you can track accurately. Visual cues could be extra blood for eg, extra damage would also be reflected in hitsounds. Rebalance research time/res cost if needed, perhaps move to proto.
    Onos are super powerful since the HP bar change and this is a solution that both brings the HMG into relevancy and directly nerfs the onos without hurting other life forms.
    Of course this is very direct and not the kind of mechanic that really suits NS2, but my point is there are easy fixes if you are willing to work outside the box