First Subnautica XB1 patch in testing

Comments

• HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    For the Xbox we need to book a certification appointment time slot, which can be up to a week or more out, then it goes through certification testing, which can last days or even up to a week. Meanwhile, the build gets encrypted as part of that process, making it actually difficult for us to go back and re test a build that was sent off for certification. In short, what can be a matter of a day on steam -- to upload an experimental version on Steam for testing, fix problems that show up, re upload a new build and re test, then upload the final stable version to Steam if everything checks out -- can take weeks to do the same thing on Xbox.

Honestly, this is why you should be extremely thorough in your testing pre-cert. This says to me,"we rushed it to cert, botched it and now it's going to be another month or more." That's just bad development. 7 days to die had been out a week, and already have patches through cert and live.

I understand this is your first console release, but this is a total pisstake. Not a good first impression on the console community.

Get to work.

thats a little rude
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    HeartofTheKING regardless of how mean it is he does have a point sometimes the truth hurts
  • xxxL3gitRushxxxxxxL3gitRushxxx United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219606Members
    For the Xbox we need to book a certification appointment time slot, which can be up to a week or more out, then it goes through certification testing, which can last days or even up to a week. Meanwhile, the build gets encrypted as part of that process, making it actually difficult for us to go back and re test a build that was sent off for certification. In short, what can be a matter of a day on steam -- to upload an experimental version on Steam for testing, fix problems that show up, re upload a new build and re test, then upload the final stable version to Steam if everything checks out -- can take weeks to do the same thing on Xbox.

Honestly, this is why you should be extremely thorough in your testing pre-cert. This says to me,"we rushed it to cert, botched it and now it's going to be another month or more." That's just bad development. 7 days to die had been out a week, and already have patches through cert and live.

I understand this is your first console release, but this is a total pisstake. Not a good first impression on the console community.

Get to work.

You have absolutely 0 patience in your life, they are trying their absolute best to get this update out, coding isn't as easy as you think pal, you could fix a bug, and like 10 more could show up, its hard, and they're trying. So wait and be patient like everybody else.
  • Rustled_JimmyRustled_Jimmy USA Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216920Members
    edited July 2016

Get to work.

You have absolutely 0 patience in your life, they are trying their absolute best to get this update out, coding isn't as easy as you think pal, you could fix a bug, and like 10 more could show up, its hard, and they're trying. So wait and be patient like everybody else.

I know exactly how it works and what it takes. I used to work QA for ubisoft. Even those idiots understood the importance of proper testing before cert, and they're the bug creation masters. Even with all of us finding them, they still release bug infested titles.

Point is, with the cert process being what it is, you don't take it lightly, which clearly they have here. I mean seriously, how do you send to cert with a menu widget not functional? That's just sloppy.

They need guys like me to wake them up and get on track if they expect to have a second console release.
  • 1RoMo11RoMo1 USA Join Date: 2016-06-10 Member: 218356Members
    This update situation has me shaking my head too. 7 Days to Die has only been out on console for 1 WEEK, and THEY already released an update. Ark gets updates on a regular basis.
    Subnautica does too.... ON PC ! I'll surely think twice, and then wait for other players feedback, BEFORE I ever buy another game from this company again.

"Fool me once, Shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. "
  • MrLuxMrLux AZ Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219772Members
    @UnknownworldsDEVS...

I came here to say I love subnautica's potential. I will not support your next game (whatever it may be) while in Preview, though I may still purchase it after reviews point to a solid release from a technical standpoint. I'm not going to complain about how long XB1 owners have waited for a patch because it see things quite differently.

You never should have released Subnautica on XB1 in its present state. You got excited because you have a potential hit on your hands and you rushed it to market. Please don't do this again.

So the cert process for Microsoft is lengthy, so what? Either you don't think you'll make much profit releasing on Xbox and are pretty much shafting us because from a business standpoint it's more cost effective, or your PR twitter rep is totally in the dark about what it means to build a strong company image. All I see are excuses. Lame.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Wow, how come I constantly see the same complaints over and over again in this section...

Some of you really need to stop being so damn entitled and negative, the devs have explained the reasons in a well thought out way with perfectly fine reasoning as to why it is as it is. It's not like the constant whining is going to make this Microsoft powered (or rather handicapped) process any faster... Also the constant accusations they don't care for consoles based on your own damn negativity, take a step back to see how idiotic this statement is...

Steam is vastly superior for quick iterative development, because it was designed with that in mind. MS just isn't as flexible, so they have to push big patches and with big patches comes a lot more work and potential for bugs (crashing/performance/scripts not working)

Mind you, this patch is the biggest and hardest one because Xbone development was started WAAAAAAAAAAY later and is WAAAAAAAAAY behind, merging the two version isn't exactly as easy as pushing a button and let the magic script machine do it's thing... But at least once this one is done, the development should be more streamlined
  • TheSonicSpartanTheSonicSpartan usa Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218538Members
    To be fare there not as big as Blizzard and Ubisoft are + even the big games like 4j Studios Mine Craft on xbox one can still tack up to 3 ore more months for one update.
  • woopswoops Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217920Members
    I'm as impatient as everyone else waiting for the update, but I really don't support the vitriol we see around here. That said, I do think it's a bit disingenuous to consistently try to lay 100% of the blame on MS for the late patch.

I would never argue that the cert process expedites any of this, but the patch (which was poor enough performance wise for them to not publish it) passed cert in less than a week after Flayra posted about it being there on twitter. And it's not like MS' cert process was some secret curve ball that was tossed at them after they were locked in to publishing on Xbox - it's been around for a minute.

And why is everyone so utterly flabbergasted over people being frustrated? I get that whining and being mean to the developers isn't going to help anything (and we would never see such an attitude from PC players, no sir). But seriously, the PC port received another update this week, while we on console are still playing a version of the game that was already old back in May, and we don't get much more information on what's going on than "soon" and "MS cert is teh worstest."

And yes, I know that: there probably isn't much more information to share; this doesn't mean UWE "forgot about" the Xbox port; this first patch will be the slowest and largest; MS cert doesn't speed things up; there's no need for a separate Xbox Trello since the two versions will be one going forward; comparing UWE/Subnautica to other devs/titles isn't appropriate; play other games, get a life, no impatience/negativity allowed, etc. But there does come a point where the people promising to deliver something actually have to, you know, deliver something.

This is a forum for feedback about the game, and since all the issues are known, and the fixes are (apparently) done, it seems pretty natural that the most common feedback we see here is, "where is the patch?" I agree that it should never be wrapped in outright hostility, but if players are dissatisfied with how the game is coming along, where is a more appropriate place to communicate that?
  • HisUglyMamaHisUglyMama Germany Join Date: 2016-06-25 Member: 219075Members
    Still seems like to me that they prefer pc and dont want to touch xbox probably poor time management mostly focused on pc but thats just what i have of a opinion based on what ive seen so far out of them
    This is untrue. We have merged both versions together so that there will be virtually no difference between the updates going forward. However the merge created various problems that have taken a lot of time to resolve, both to the Xbox and the PC versions, much more then expected, resulting in a longer delay for the Xbox update then we'd planned.

The other main difference between the Xbox and PC versions is the release process. On PC it is very easy for us to just release a build onto Steam, whenever we choose. For the Xbox we need to book a certification appointment time slot, which can be up to a week or more out, then it goes through certification testing, which can last days or even up to a week. Meanwhile, the build gets encrypted as part of that process, making it actually difficult for us to go back and re test a build that was sent off for certification. In short, what can be a matter of a day on steam -- to upload an experimental version on Steam for testing, fix problems that show up, re upload a new build and re test, then upload the final stable version to Steam if everything checks out -- can take weeks to do the same thing on Xbox.

c'mon you're way too nice. answering posts from just another conspiracist. it's like explaining math to a goldfish.
    edited July 2016
    Not trying to be "that guy" but this game is going to be forgotten by a lot of people of you don't get your ass squared away soon. Lotta good games coming down the pipeline, and as is,this is just taking up space on my hard drive, nothing more.
    Um...pretty sure you are being "that guy" whether you are trying or not.

I'm entitled to my opinion.

This was a old version when it was released, which means they already knew about 90% of bug potential moving forward. To avoid over explination that apologists won't accept anyway; they rushed console side to make more money, used those funds to make PC better, and when ever they get around to it, they'll finish console for full release. Enjoy your discount and wait till full release, or the game turns vaporware.

Get as mad at me as you like, but i've worked in the industry, so i know what that smell is.
  • mechtrix11mechtrix11 United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219603Members
    You know what would be nice. If you people out their would just stop complaining and learn to deal with the progress that's happening. Yes the updates taking a long time. Yes i'm also wishing the developers would hurry up but people just honestly shut up and let the devs do what they wish your speculative comments aren't helping. And the "nice guys" aren't any better about complaining. Theirs plenty of games and other things you can do. If you don't have anything better to do that's just sad. Last time I checked these forums frankly should just be used to ask some questions to the devs and to also share to the devs what could be improved about their products. Frankly if people wish to chat to each other theirs plenty of places you can do it but I don't think that a games main websight sould be the place.
    So people simply let the Developers do what they have to and stop all the pointless arguing and speculations. Also Rustled Jimmy I don't think it matters if you worked for Ubisoft or not. You may be correct in your statements but honestly their no reason to make the posts you did. Your not part of unknown studios so keep your buissness out of theirs.
    I know your going to possibly comment back Jimmy but just don't bother. no matter what you say it won't change a thing.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Not trying to be "that guy" but this game is going to be forgotten by a lot of people of you don't get your ass squared away soon. Lotta good games coming down the pipeline, and as is,this is just taking up space on my hard drive, nothing more.
    Um...pretty sure you are being "that guy" whether you are trying or not.

This was a old version when it was released, which means they already knew about 90% of bug potential moving forward. To avoid over explination that apologists won't accept anyway; they rushed console side to make more money, used those funds to make PC better, and when ever they get around to it, they'll finish console for full release. Enjoy your discount and wait till full release, or the game turns vaporware.

Get as mad at me as you like, but i've worked in the industry, so i know what that smell is.

And some opinions as silly as those are supposed to be made fun of. That shit right there is borderline slander :D
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Get as mad at me as you like, but I've worked in the industry, so i know what that smell is.

Having an opinion is understandable. Having worked in the industry, I would guess that you should know about the Xbox Preview program, and what it entails.

Users have a choice to purchase the game in it's current state or not. They get access to a 1 hour demo, for free to assess if the game is worthy of their money or not. Steam users do not get this currently. If people try it, and find it's not running well enough for them, or has not enough content, they are free to not purchase it.

On every Microsoft Game Preview page, it states:
    Game Preview This game is a work in progress. It may or may not change over time or release as a final product. Purchase only if you are comfortable with the current state of the unfinished game.

We released a version of the game that passed certification and was admittedly, behind the steam version. However, despite it's flaws, through the preview program we have the opportunity to keep working on it and improve it - that's the whole point of putting out early builds for the public to get feedback on issues.

Accusing us of not caring about our customers is false. We will only release patches to our game which improve it. This is why one has not been released yet. We have all worked very hard to bring a more up to date version of the game out in the Preview Program and I'm glad to say it's on the horizon.

Now, in regard to your attitude - we welcome opinions and all kinds of criticisms of our game. It's the only way we learn to make it better. But the attitude & swearing at us does nothing for your credibility or weight of opinion. We can have a civil conversation about our faults without needing to resort to that kind of talk or attitude.

*applause*
    edited July 2016
    You should also point out that part of the preview program is helping devs bug find and improve their game. So holding patches because they're not perfect kinda defeats that point doesn't it?

Also a broken widget making it to cert is just embarrassing.

You can have your fanboys gang up on me for stating at unpopular opinion without consequence, but you want to get on MY character for a couple no-no words? Wow.

You can say what you want, but you can either quit the charade about your console support, which is honestly the worst in the preview program, next to hinterland studio with the long dark ( zero support in almost a year), or you can let us GPP members help you with your game. Obviously you need the help with QA, so why aren't you using it?

That's why i don't believe your story, regardless of the excuses.
    edited July 2016
    Also i buy these games to support worthy indie devs, which you very well could be. I never said the game sucked, or that you should be giving refunds or other such rhetoric, I'm just saying your activity with this title isn't on par.

I've bought, played, and gave tons of feedback to every other preview title of worth, and most thank me for it, including Microsoft/Xbox.

Learn to take constructive criticism without picking words. Don't like someone not kissing your ass? Oh well, shut me up by fixing the game. :smiley:
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited July 2016
    I can understand people biting thier nails waiting for the first patch to hit, heck I'm one of them!

But what I don't understand is how people can not see the huge prompt on the main screen.. It clearly states that this version is behind and that it is a work in progress..

And then these same people sit there and say things like "you guys don't care about us" "your not working on this patch because your still putting out pc updates"

Really guys? Do you people think they are just going to completely stop moving forward with the game and working on the PC aswell?

If people would stop and actually read threads on this site they would quickly realize the amount of work that's gone on here. When they started trying to bring the 2 versions closer together there was that visual glitch that popped up and had the PC players all confused lol.

Personally I'm quite content knowing that the PC version is testing out and ironing out most of the big bugs before it reaches us on the Xbox one.

@Obraxis @Squeal_Like_A_Pig @Flayra

I thank you guys (all of you guys in fact) for taking your time to make sure that us as players are getting the "best" possible version at that time! As for preview games go your game is amazing! Not pointing fingers at other developers or anything but I bought into their preview game aswell and for over 6 months the game was wildly unplayable do to save file corruptions/crashes etc.. And instead of taking a step back they kept hot fixing at a rapid pace and made it progressively more broken. I respect you guys for choosing quality over quantity and not constantly wasting my time with broken renditions and hotfixes!

On a side note tho is there anyone that monitors the questions people ask on facebook?

"Personally I'm quite content knowing that the PC version is testing out and ironing out most of the big bugs before it reaches us on the Xbox one."

Except according to the devs, that's not happening. If it was they would have patched ages ago.

PC is several versions ahead of xbox. If the work on PC side was "ironing out" our future versions, we would at least have the basic bugs fixed now that were fixed on pc before xbox even got a release.lol. Do people honestly not get this?
    edited July 2016
    @Rustled_Jimmy we're not fanbois laddy, you're just being an ass and mostly trolling and whining. Constructive criticism hmm, I don't think you understand that word

And everyone who knows me on here, knows I've criticized lotsa stuff regarding their games (proper constructive criticism)
    "Personally I'm quite content knowing that the PC version is testing out and ironing out most of the big bugs before it reaches us on the Xbox one."

Except according to the devs, that's not happening. If it was they would have patched ages ago.

PC is several versions ahead of xbox. If the work on PC side was "ironing out" our future versions, we would at least have the basic bugs fixed now that were fixed on pc before xbox even got a release.lol. Do people honestly not get this?

Yes the PC is versions ahead of Xbox one. And as I stated above go do some digging man, search through some threads. The version we have in contrast is pretty stable. Unknown worlds has not lied at all to us. They where extremely upfront about this version and current "state" of the game being behind. They released it early so we could at the very least start playing it.. Just be happy ita here man. And be happy this developer is even acknowledging our/your concerns...
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    @Rustled_Jimmy we're not fanbois laddy, you're just being an ass and mostly trolling and whining. Constructive criticism hmm, I don't think you understand that word

And everyone who knows me on here, knows I've criticized lotsa stuff regarding their games (proper constructive criticism)

Trolling? So you just use fun internet lingo and not know wtf it means?
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Dont worry jimmy i domt think they care about xbox systems either they did multiple for pc but has yet to do a single thing to and has said next to nothing on anything dome for xbox but pc they cant and does not hid much all and all way to suspicious so i understand you bruh besides who takes months to fo even a single small update (machine) and all they can do is say well the cert process as their shield weak dont ya think Rustled_Jimmy?
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

You are misinformed on a few major points:
    -I understand that granting Subnautica console access was a last minute success. They were not sure it would be possible until it happened.
    -This build is not the one they hoped to provide but due to arranged deadlines with the xbox compliance process it was this or miss it entirely and lose the opportunity.
    - having "several" patches on just means one was already ready when this process started on xbox and then another released. Not more work, "previous" work. Effort has been balanced since the release.
    -They were able to provide a patch in a reasonable timeframe of near 30 days but were not satisfied that it improved the game so it was held back on console but due the the quick changes available it was able to be released through PC/Steam. This is not additional effort or preference but rather one worked and one did not. Would it be right to withhold both because one failed? Personally I think they did right by going forward with the successful side, it does not mean those same changes will not be applied to xbox asap.
    -ASAP in this case is subject to the schedule/test/review timeframe offered to the devs as their only option into platform success. It is not like they can pay for a faster application, it is a standardized process all games go through but the difference here is this being a game under development cant be altered by developers whim as it needs. Any changes are subject to the schedule/test/review timeframe.
    -In a way I'm sure this process is contracted. In the contract there are rights and responsibility's that don't always work in your favor. Kinda like regretting your choice in cell provider but not being able to make changes until the contract is resolved, they cannot go any faster than the system offers.

I feel the impatience building from this community but I remain eager and hopeful. I check every day for updated info and this will be a great game when it reaches v1.0. It really has not been an unreasonable amount of time or system preference if you consider the whole situation. Doesn't stop me from wanting it NOW also but harsh words wont help at all.

Begone pest

Begone pest

Grow up, child
This discussion has been closed.