Subnautica Launching in VR mode everytime, can't play regular version with my monitor [Steam]

jasonelmorejasonelmore usa Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218599Members
edited June 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Everytime i try and launch Subnautica on Steam, it launches Oculus Home and then launches the game in VR mode. This happens despite me selecting "normal mode" on the steam launch dialog box. So i cannot play the game unless i wanna play VR mode, which i don't atm. I own the game on Steam, but i do not own the game on Oculus Home.

Anyone know any steam launch commands to get around this?

Comments

• OculusLouOculusLou Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217605Members
    You have to disable/stop the Oculus service.
  • jasonelmorejasonelmore usa Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218599Members
    can we get this fixed tho? Oculus Home is obviously looking for certain files to run. They could run a modified EXE or DLL that Oculus home does not recognize when the user selects normal mode. Then launch it in VR mode when they click "VR Other Mode"
    Probably they just don't seem to be focusing on fixing any Oculus VR bugs currently. Submit it as a bug!
  • BradM73BradM73 Ohio Join Date: 2015-03-17 Member: 202270Members
    I'm having the same problem, and contrary to what OculuLou states, you can't simple stop the oculus service and have it work normally.
  • weasel47weasel47 Pennsylvania Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217060Members
    BradM73 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem, and contrary to what OculuLou states, you can't simple stop the oculus service and have it work normally.

I was able to run Desktop mode just fine after stopping the service. What issue are you seeing?
    Oh it’s an easy work around, but when you run the game it asks for normal and VR mode and then doesn't work when you pick normal. I'm just saying if they were to fix the problem that's all they would need to fix maybe?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    You can start the game without oculus if you bought it on steam. Simply don't turn on the oculus application and select the Play Subnautica option on the start box. Oh and the shortcut of turning off ovrservices doesn't work for me, it just crashes Subnautica
  • Jim_Jim_ Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219811Members
    You can edit the launch options in steam to have it forced into monitor mode.

-vrmode none
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can just turn off your rift, or disable the Oculus service.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I used to be able to do that but with 67 I no longer can! I can't start the game without VR even if all oculus services are turned off including the oculus itself.
  • berniebernie Sweden Join Date: 2016-07-22 Member: 220567Members
    Like other people in this thread I have played in VR previously, but I do not wish to do so anymore. I want to return to monitor mode.

I have update 67 and I can confirm that none of the following options helps you to force Subnautica back in monitor mode.
    • Start option -vrmode none in steam
    • Disable (or stop) the Oculus service before starting the game
    • Disconnecting the rift completely, restarting the computer and the starting Subnautica again

I get stuck on the menu screen where I would usually move my mouse cursor around to select "Load game" and then my last save game. But I can't do that since the mouse cursor is being pulled back to the center of the screen every time I try to move it.
  • berniebernie Sweden Join Date: 2016-07-22 Member: 220567Members
    I solved it using the following steps:
    1. I copied my last save (<Steam directory>\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000) to another location.
    2. I uninstalled Subnautica
    3. I reinstalled Subnautica
    4. I manually restore my last save by copying back to location above
  • Maxgamerboy1Maxgamerboy1 Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224816Members
    Bump.

I own the HTC Vive but I'm having trouble trying to play in normal mode. Tried all suggested fixes as above, except for the Oculus service as I don't own it :smile: also tried unplugging the Vive but it still doesn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!