Update 67 broke seamoth steering even more...

AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
Are you trying to give us nausea? Before April, the seamoth was this zippy little thing that responded to mouse input instantly and gave you the feeling of piloting a (slow) fighter jet underwater. After April, it got laggy and was making me feel a but nauseous. The text for this latest update said 'made seamoth turn speed more consistent and squashed vr bugs'... and we all know that it was something with the vr changes that made the seamoth turning laggy in the first place.

I was hopeful that Update 67 would fix this but it made it even worse. I can't play this game anymore.

Please, fix the seamoth steering so it's a zippy thing again instead of its current lag hell incarnation.

Comments

• AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    To give more info, when I move the mouse, the seamoth should turn to the way I'm looking. Instead, it's turning halfway or even less and my view is moving back from where I had it.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I have to say, I've been playing this game for awhile, and the steering change hasn't bothered me.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    It's reasons like this that make the devs upset. No matter what they'll do they won't please everyone and then some people make a big stink for a minor thing. Personally I've never had real issues with the steering and I've played since the Habitat Update.
  • darioushsdarioushs Join Date: 2015-12-11 Member: 209871Members
    I gotta agree the steering is horrible now. Also there really Really is no reason why the devs have to make the steering so awful just to make the game a little bit more realistic. There is just no need.
  • ifferiffer Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 45041Members, Constellation
    The revised steering is twitchy... you move the mouse and the driver/wheel turn is very steep very quickly but the moth doesn't respond like you had it cranked over. If you push the mouse further out, the moth turns faster but the wheel/driver view is already max tilted so the turn effect isn't progressive. It used to fly like the Descent fighter (smooth and proportional)... now we're having to fight it (turn-stop turn a bit more, stop, bit more on, bit more off etc) . I haven't played enough since the patch to know if they sorted out the nausea effects but it still isn't as fun to drive/fly as it used to be.
  • SPOOKSSPOOKS England Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219774Members
    I really don't think that this is a game breaking bug/problem I'm sure they will tweak it in the future :smile:
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    I have no probs with the changes.

Learn how to accept them.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    LeonDOGE wrote: »
    I have no probs with the changes.

Learn how to accept them.

Please, remember that the fact that you, specifically, have no problem with something does not mean that others are making a big issue out of nothing. I dare say enough of those affected by the change have spoken up on this forum about it to prove that it's not an isolated, unimportant or blown out of proportion issue.

Personally I have indeed "learned to accept the change", but I could only do that by not using a seamoth at all ever since the change in the steering occurred. If that counts as the problem being solved for the devs... well, it's up to them. I still love the game and will keep playing, but I am forced to miss out on a really fun part of the gameplay and that doesn't seem all that okay to me.

To give the devs credit, it is worth point out here that they have admitted the seamoth steering problem is the result of a bug that they could not quite identify. Here's hoping that - eventually, if time permits - they will be able to fix it.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I don't really notice a difference between then and now. Whatever the change was it didn't appear to work. It doesn't really bother me, but I didn't know what it was like before it became drunk either.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I really don't understand what the issue is with the seamoth.
    It gives some people motion sickness, which is quite a big problem for those affected.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    So it's an occulus rift issue?
    I'm playing the game on a regular monitor, and when I move the mouse to change the way I'm viewing, the old behavior of the seamoth was such that it would follow your view perfectly. In the april change, it stopped doing that; it started lagging behind and forced your view to go back a bit. With the latest update, it's become even worse.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Outside of vehicles, I like the view mechanics. They seem natural to me (I understand that what fees natural will be different for every person).

Inside the Seamoth, I'm not a huge fan of the view swing and apparent decrease in turning sensitivity. I know we all keep coming up with "good" ideas that the devs will likely never have the time to implement, but it would be nice if maybe they could include an option for turning off the view swing. It's common in other first-person games. Usually it's called "view-bob" or something, and it's a check-box you can disable in the menu.

I have other, bigger problems with driving the Seamoth, though. The biggest is that the Seamoth's speed routinely exceeds the terrain load speed, so I am constantly fighting load-lag. I plan to buy an SSD in the near future for the sole purpose of running this game, hoping that fixes, or at least improves, the retrieval times.

I liked the Descent-like steering, and I love that people are making that reference. While the "good idea fairy" is visiting me, I think it would be awesome for the devs to implement roll control with the Q and E buttons.

And I agree with
    Calarand77 wrote: »

Please, remember that the fact that you, specifically, have no problem with something does not mean that others are making a big issue out of nothing. I dare say enough of those affected by the change have spoken up on this forum about it to prove that it's not an isolated, unimportant or blown out of proportion issue.

I'd be willing to bet there's a bunch of players who like the new steering but didn't like the old way. That's fine. You won't likely hear from them as much because happy people aren't usually as vocal as unhappy people.

But the reason we bought into an early access game, indeed, the reason they made it available for early access, is so we could give the devs feedback on gameplay. Each person's opinions are valid for that person. It would be quite simple for the devs to tally our opinions and either cater to the majority opinion, attempt a middle ground, or attempt to give options like I suggested above.

It's up to the devs to do the best they can, and I understand there will be compromises. That's cool. If I don't like the final product, I'll still have gotten well over a year's worth of play for my money, and I'm quite happy with that. However, the devs are doing awesome, and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 1.0 release.

Anyways, cheers.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    So it's an occulus rift issue?

If I recall right there was something with the oculus rift update that messed with it, but it still impacts the regular mode play.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    It's up to the devs to do the best they can, and I understand there will be compromises. That's cool. If I don't like the final product, I'll still have gotten well over a year's worth of play for my money, and I'm quite happy with that. However, the devs are doing awesome, and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 1.0 release.
    100% agree. Couldn't have said it better myself. As I wrote above - I simply stopped using the seamoth, and I'm still enjoying the game to the fullest, so no matter if the steering gets changed/fixed or not, I will still play the game and recommend it to others, just as I have been doing since I bought it.

The biggest is that the Seamoth's speed routinely exceeds the terrain load speed, so I am constantly fighting load-lag.

Yeah, that is a problem - I've actually destroyed the seamoth because of that. Generally if I wanna just cruise somewhere at full speed, I bring it to the surface, so I don't need to worry so much about the terrain pop-in.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    The biggest is that the Seamoth's speed routinely exceeds the terrain load speed, so I am constantly fighting load-lag.

Yeah, that is a problem - I've actually destroyed the seamoth because of that. Generally if I wanna just cruise somewhere at full speed, I bring it to the surface, so I don't need to worry so much about the terrain pop-in.

That, and jumping it out of the water over and over.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    It doesn't exactly make me sick, but it does feel twitchy and uncomfortable if I play for a longer while. I did not have this problem before the bug happened. Fingers crossed it gets fixed sometimes.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    We are going to look into possibly locking the view to the seamoth without actually changing the way the seamoth turns.

If you do, maybe you can allow the player to bind a key for a mouselook feature, like using a center mouse button or 'hold CTRL to look around inside the Seamoth, without turning the vehicle'
  • Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
    We are going to look into possibly locking the view to the seamoth without actually changing the way the seamoth turns.

FINALLY!!

This is all we've been asking since the steering was destroyed. Driving the craft for just a moment reveals how jerky the screen gets when trying to do simple maneuvers. I've been screaming since the start that this is BECAUSE of the pov shifting within the craft and then trying to rubberband the craft to where the vision is pointing AFTER the player has finished steering. There's no reason whatsoever to have the player's head moving around WITHIN the craft. Especially since the mouse (one input) controls them BOTH, independently, at different turn rates. Couple this with whatever code is trying to "correct" the craft's position after you're done steering, and the entire thing becomes a frustrating nauseating experience.

Please, just BIND the player's head with the craft. The turn rate of the craft is not the issue. It's the head vs craft disparity.

What you end up with might not be as fun as it was in the Farming update... if you plan on making the seamoth more sluggish, that is. But it will definitely be playable.

If this will make it turn like it used to, then yay, thank you.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members

Very glad to hear that! To provide a comparison, I can "drive" the camera drones and it feels just fine. No queasy disorientation. It's only the Seamoth's view that rubber-bands disturbingly.