Do Reaper Leviathans really ignore terrain?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
I've seen the things go right through the sea floor sometimes. There was one time where one did catch me while I was in my unmodified Seamoth. It eventually let go, and I hightailed it back to base. I'm sure it was going to give chase to finish me off, so I instinctively (yeah... gamer instincts) flew around pillars, ducked through tunnels, and moving evasively as possible to ensure my survival. Thankfully I didn't get caught... Yet I've seen at least one YouTuber (8-Bit Ryan's second Subnautica video) try to hide in a tunnel from one only to be snatched up and eaten by it..

Comments

• crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Yes, they ignore terrain. I was just watching Markiplier's newest subnautica vid and a reaper just swam through a sand dune like it wasn't even there. Just one of the small details that needs to be ironed out before release.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've been hosed by this a couple times. On 2 separate occasions I've had reapers charge me from inside hills. It's frustrating, but like crane said, hopefully it will be fixed before release.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    You don't suppose the things also turn on a dime. I'm starting to think zig zagging away from it (forcing it to turn its massive body) is probably the best getaway method.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    it makes the world of subnautica 700000000000% more terrifying. i will be riding my seamoth around in the mountains and i will hear the reaper roar then it will pop out of the mountain next to me and eat me!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    gotta keep the zapper equipped if you're gonna ride around in reaper territory.
    Well then... that's... awkward. Is that something that will be cleaned up for release - when all the other optimization is done?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I've seen the same thing happen with stalkers. I was in the creepvine forest when one started chasing me (I was hoping this time it wouldn't follow me back to my life pod with a buddy). I couldn't get back to the pod so I dug a whole than made it take a sharp turn than go up than go down than another sharp turn than just a reletively straight tunnel. But the stalker managed to bend its body through the sharp turns. I could see its head glitch through the final turn.
    @Nautical_Nick So you dug a hole to get away? Like an underwater gopher on speed? That's pretty hilarious.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    It isn't exactly that it ignores Terrain. The problem is, that for optimization purposes, we don't load terrain collision at the same distance that the terrain itself is visible at. Reapers can spawn from pretty far away, and can end up going through terrain before the collision has finished loading in. Certainly not an ideal situation, but not something that has an easy fix.

In the meantime you could say it's a feature, that the Reapers can tunnel through soft earth like the Sand Sharks do :P

/jokingbytheway
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    My first encounter with Reapers... I was swimming around the Aurora. Because of course I had to. I wanted to see the space ship. So I saw this reaper, all big and scary. And yeah I was scared... so I went to jump up on the sandbar that the Aurora had kicked up.

The Reaper tried to follow... and started twitching. Eventually it had a bad physics collision and then POPPED up into the sky like a rocket ship and never came down. Laughed my ass off. Never was able to take them seriously after that.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I would hope that something is done at some point before or after release. Ihave monsters pop out of the sea floor and grab you is a difficult thing to combat. There is still much to do though, and Im sure it will be fixed eventually.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    I would hope that something is done at some point before or after release. Ihave monsters pop out of the sea floor and grab you is a difficult thing to combat. There is still much to do though, and Im sure it will be fixed eventually.

Not only grab, but drag you back under the seafloor.
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    Well the reaper sounds as if it fits in with the other fish. Peeper swimming in my base and fish vanishing in front of me in the water.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    This can be a real problem if the terrain it decides to clip through is the wall of your seabase. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, y'know?
    DagothUr wrote: »
    This can be a real problem if the terrain it decides to clip through is the wall of your seabase. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, y'know?

You built a seabase in reaper territory? That's pretty ballsy.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    You built a seabase in reaper territory? That's pretty ballsy.

Nah, the whole idea was to minimize exposure to them while still getting access to their resources. When I noticed that you could build tubes from inside tubes I asked "how far out can I take these things?" So I started in a much safer zone, then slowly but surely worked my way out towards the more dangerous areas. Every now and then I'd put a little multiroom for a waystation (and to add reinforcement panels). Ended it with a Scanner room at the bottom so I knew exactly where stuff was so I could dash out, grab it quickly, and dash back in before the horde could reach me.

That's basically always my approach, even for simple things like Stalkers in kelp beds. Just hamster-maze my way out from the safe shallows, venturing outside the base only long enough to grab what I need or weld a new piece on, and then head right back in where it's nice and safe. Of course it's slow going, as lithium harvesting is always a chore (basically Seamoth raiding until I can get something permanent out there). The trick is to make sure my exposure to the actual ocean is always brief as possible. Also, sticking a medkit fabricator inside every hatch module never hurts, either.
  • Novacookie232Novacookie232 Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231809Members
    edited July 2017
    I've been doing the same thing. Building a tunnel to the places I am a bit afraid of (which is mainly anywhere with reapers in). It can be a bit slow to walk/run in the tubes though.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • Who_needs_ArmorWho_needs_Armor Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231295Members
    edited July 2017
    It's probably also worth noting that the Sea Dragon leviathan has similar issues. The first time it caught me was when I was in my PRAWN suit hiding in one of the floor crevices near to the lava castle. It was way too small for the Sea Dragon to get to me, but it was charging at the ground, and I think its arms when through the terrain and pushed me through the world into it's mouth. I had a PRAWN suit on so I survived, but it would of been a completely terrible game experience if I had died and lost my PRAWN suit there because of a glitch.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    The reaper has NoClip. (as quoted from my YT series)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Plz vacban reaper, he is using noclip hax.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    It isn't exactly that it ignores Terrain. The problem is, that for optimization purposes, we don't load terrain collision at the same distance that the terrain itself is visible at. Reapers can spawn from pretty far away, and can end up going through terrain before the collision has finished loading in. Certainly not an ideal situation, but not something that has an easy fix.

When you bake the terrain into a single piece of geometry, would having the collision detection turned on for the entire thing no matter where fix it?
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Anyone else ever shot the Reaper with a vortex torpedo? They spin around like a dog chasing it's tail.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Anyone else ever shot the Reaper with a vortex torpedo? They spin around like a dog chasing it's tail.

I shot one as it dived at me, making it spin on its head like it was breakdancing.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members

When you bake the terrain into a single piece of geometry, would having the collision detection turned on for the entire thing no matter where fix it?

Would probably fix it. Would probably also drop the frame rate to something like 4fps.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Why don't we just have reapers load in at the same time as terrain? They already tend to pop into existence right on top of you, so we may as well have them not do that and come up out of the ground like a bloody tremor.
  • Hummer65Hummer65 Join Date: 2019-02-18 Member: 251048Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Why don't we just have reapers load in at the same time as terrain? They already tend to pop into existence right on top of you, so we may as well have them not do that and come up out of the ground like a bloody tremor.

Do you really want a Reaper to spawn in late? Imagine it being your first playthrough and out of nowhere one of those shows up along with the terrain...
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Hummer65 wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »

Do you really want a Reaper to spawn in late? Imagine it being your first playthrough and out of nowhere one of those shows up along with the terrain...

Holy Necromancy batman! geez you just dredged up a thread that was over a year old maybe looking at the date of the last post will help you prevent from raising a thread from the dead again?