RAM To Preformance

Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
Will more RAM help the game run better? Currently I can't play b/c of some launching error... but when I can play, the game runs a bit slow and can often be very laggy. I only have 4GB of RAM atm, getting 16 more GB of RAM tomorrow. So will the extra 16GB help with performance and/or the error?

Comments

• WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    I would say it should probably help you some since 4gb is considered pretty small these days. In the end CPU and GPU are the real major factors though. What are the specs of your system?
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    http://pastebin.com/yMEZyTnR - This is my DxDiag if anyone wants it.
    According to your DXdiag you have 8gbs of RAM already. Adding more won't have any noticeable effect unless your running applications in the background that are taking up a lot resources.
    WarViper wrote: »
    According to your DXdiag you have 8gbs of RAM already. Adding more won't have any noticeable effect unless your running applications in the background that are taking up a lot resources.

Hmm, I may be getting a msi GTX 970 graphics card in the future. Will that help with anything? (Up from my current GT 610)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Hmm, I may be getting a msi GTX 970 graphics card in the future. Will that help with anything? (Up from my current GT 610)

Yes. It's about 24x the power. So might help some.

NEe3LF6.jpg
    Obraxis wrote: »

NEe3LF6.jpg

Hehe... help some, sounds like it would help a lot! Pretty excited to get the card then, may be able to play the game again! :smiley:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    That 610 in that rig seems like an oddball in any case ;) read: bottleneck. It's basically an... Internet/office card...

Oh and that is the English sarcasm right there by Obby, "might help some" indeed xD
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    'Might help some' - lmao

I love how the people of UWE constantly help out people with their computer problems on the forums and add a bit of humour into it :)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

NEe3LF6.jpg

Gotta love a dev with a sense of humor
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Hi GourmetGuy

I went from having a nVidia 680 (something in the 600s anyway) in my laptop, to a new laptop with a nVidia 980GTX in it. The performance increase is fantastic, and the 970 will be awesome too.
    You will see a big difference in performance with a gtx 970. However please consider if your system is ready for that upgrade. What is your power supply rated at? does it have the needed connectors to power a gtx 970. Also consider that the gtx 970 has some performance problems if your games exceed 3.5 gigs of VRAM. Due to poor memory architecture design the 970 will begin to stutter badly when you get above this threshold which is getting easy to do these days. I would highly recommend the new RX 480 as it is much cheaper, has better performance than a 970, and has up to 8gbs of VRAM. It also does not suffer stuttering issues even when VRAM is maxed out. Also worth mentioning is that if you upgrade to a card with these kinds of specs that you are going to be bottlenecked by your CPU. Your current CPU is more than enough to handle subnautica but in other gaming applications your CPU is going to be limiting how much performance you can extract from your video card. So a CPU upgrade might be something you consider as a future upgrade.
    The new update sadly didn't help with my launching problems... no subnautica for a month is killing me..