Should we keep our fire extinguishers?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
My guess is once more of the Aurora opens up for exploration we're gonna need them. I always store them in my first seabase once it's built just in case. What do you think?

Comments

• awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    I think we will need to keep them for the end game. Building a base in the lava biome will need a fire extinguisher since the water will be BOILING hot and cause base fires? It should be important for getting to the P.R.A.W.N. Suit room in the Aurora.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Yeah, when the game updates, it'll be useful to have it on the Aurora if you want to avoid walking through fires.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Never waste anything that you cannot craft a replacement. I leave mine in the life pod until I build a permanent base, then I store it there in the emergency gear locker.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Does it use batteries? :p
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    It wouldn't make sense for a fire extinguisher to use batteries. But I can see having a machine to recharge it. It could simply be a tap off a seabase's air-scrubber system, compressing and storing the scrubbed CO₂ instead of venting it.
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    edited July 2016
    Few thoughts.

Fire extinguisher real good on early game. When used underwater it produces significant boost of speed. Otherwise, in not comfortable direction - backward... In that case yes, I prefer to have a device that can recharge it.

Stop the fire... Underwater? Make a reason to have one. On Cyclops maybe. By the way, it is wise not to have it in inventory (it is small, another empty slot is gold this way) - give it a wall holder (and recharger, like battaries).

Recharging. If in the future people use CO2 in extinguishers - then it may recharge from players breath. More time you spend on base/Cyclop - more charge. But this is not comfortable in gameplay. Maybe the point is charge it with some fungus (powder state). Anyway, that plants might be more useful :)

Crazy thing.
    MAKE IT BANG!!! Guys, your water animation is the most realistic I ever saw, think you can make a beautiful underwater explodes (with bubbles, waves and SPLASH DAMAGE!!!1!!11)
    Thats it)
    edited July 2016
    It wouldn't make sense for a fire extinguisher to use batteries. But I can see having a machine to recharge it. It could simply be a tap off a seabase's air-scrubber system, compressing and storing the scrubbed CO₂ instead of venting it.

I was actually making a joke about how everything now uses batteries...but i like your recharge idea.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I always stash mine in a locker, because that's what I would do if I really crash landed like that.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    You might need them....in the future :wink:

I figured as much but that being the case, you will need to make them craftable via the fabricator or obtainable again in some other fashion. Just in case a player loses theirs somehow.
    See, I wanna complain about the lack of realism here. The inside of the life pod should be covered in white crap after using the fire extinguisher and be uninhabitable because of the effect of breathing that stuff in an enclosed space.

I had an...unplanned...inadvertent...um..well, let's just say I learned how a fire extinguisher works and what fun it is to clean up...

Yaaaay realism...
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    Halios wrote: »
    I always stash mine in a locker, because that's what I would do if I really crash landed like that.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    You might need them....in the future :wink:

I figured as much but that being the case, you will need to make them craftable via the fabricator or obtainable again in some other fashion. Just in case a player loses theirs somehow.

Last time I checked you can craft them.
    @yomama

I'm sure that in this future age of space travel and colonising other planets that fire extinguisher technology has also advanced to become less messy.

Yeah, just like in the future maybe they can make a dark matter drive B)
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited July 2016
    Surrounded by water. Just grab a bucket.

You kids and your fancy tools now days. Back in my time, we fought fire with our bare hands.
    Mmm. Bucket. Interesting idea.

Maybe lifepods in an undamaged state would be relatively resistant to the effects of water. But a crashed lifepod with exposed wiring.... Are we wearing rubber boots?
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

Maybe lifepods in an undamaged state would be relatively resistant to the effects of water. But a crashed lifepod with exposed wiring.... Are we wearing rubber boots?

Do fins count?
    Fins?

The interwebz says that silicon can be manufactured to be conductive or not. I don't think it's clear exactly how the swim charge fins work but since they sparkle electrically I think we should assume our fabricator makes silicon of the conductive variety.

So no I don't think our fins would do us much good here.
    Fins?

The interwebz says that silicon can be manufactured to be conductive or not. I don't think it's clear exactly how the swim charge fins work but since they sparkle electrically I think we should assume our fabricator makes silicon of the conductive variety.

So no I don't think our fins would do us much good here.

A wizard made them.
    There are many magic fins in this world and none of them should be used lightly.

If you experience fish cravings, extreme weight loss or feel compelled to stroke or talk to your fins, cease use immediately and seek professional help.
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    I think we will need to keep them for the end game. Building a base in the lava biome will need a fire extinguisher since the water will be BOILING hot and cause base fires? It should be important for getting to the P.R.A.W.N. Suit room in the Aurora.

Assuming the heat of the lava some how gets the water hot enough around your base, the temperature it could reach at 1000 meters depth on earth or about 1400 psi, seems to be maybe 650 Degrees Fahrenheit. Now this planet seems to have a lower gravitational pull, which is why our character doesn't have his entire body forced into his helmet at around 400m depth. The boiling point at that depth and the psi of about 1000 would be around 540 Degrees Fahrenheit. Now if the base is getting that hot and the water is that hot, you dead or dying in a lot of pain.
    But the water temperature the water is game doesn't get that hot, plus water is very very very good at adsorbing and moving heat around. So you'd have to literally build the base in the lava, to have things heat up enough to combust. But at that point the base is now not usable, because you'll die if you enter it.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members

I'd tend to assume that when I come across a wrecked lifepod with a big hole blown in its side and full of seawater, all power has long since shorted out. Which may have been what blew the big hole in the side, since the other lifepods all seem to have about the same size hole in the same place. (Though oddly, it's not anywhere near the power cells. Maybe it's at some other point in the power system that the system short makes itself explosively felt... perhaps a power regulator.)

It might be nice if we could repair and refloat wrecked lifepods as way-stations. But I suspect that would take a bit more than a hand-held welder.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    yomama wrote: »
    Yeah, just like in the future maybe they can make a dark matter drive B)

Shhh, the realism police will hear you...