adding bots to dedicated server

SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
Can I add bots in my server start BAT using the addbots call or can that only be done when logged in as admin?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    Only when logged in as admin afaik
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Thanks... Bummer though, I am really digging the bots on NS2 combat. Helps get the server going a bit :wink:
    Is there a way to add bots to game yet without being an admin logged in?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    SeeVee wrote: »
    Is there a way to add bots to game yet without being an admin logged in?

Not really if you don't run rookie only. But If requested i could make a shine plugin to add bots dynamically.
    That would be awesome! It kind of stinks having to wait in the lobby for others to play. It would be great if you could play and have some AI jump in until the server is populated. Any way to have config options for it? For example how many bots to add to the game and skill level? Commander bots too :)

I assume I would have to install the shine mod on my server and then this new plugin you are proposing?

Thank you for the reply, have a great weekend!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    SeeVee wrote: »
    That would be awesome! It kind of stinks having to wait in the lobby for others to play. It would be great if you could play and have some AI jump in until the server is populated. Any way to have config options for it? For example how many bots to add to the game and skill level? Commander bots too :)

I assume I would have to install the shine mod on my server and then this new plugin you are proposing?

Thank you for the reply, have a great weekend!

The BotManger Plug-in of http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=208649136 will do what you want. It will populate the server till the by max bots given number as soon as one player joined a team.
    Excellent!

Thank for the assistance, I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance and let you know how things went :smiley:
    I will be adding these to the server tonight. It's been a hell of a weekend :wink:
    Everything is installed, shine mod and epsilon plugins and all is working. Thank you so much for your help and guidance!

One thing of note however, in the server browser my server does not list the mods I have running like the others do. My server does run on port 27030 instead of 27015... could that be doing it?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    No, it's like that for all servers. It stopped working a long time ago.
    When I click on other servers I see their mods listed... hmmmm
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    It works but it probably reads the information over the query port.

Query port is not always responding so you don't see the player names and mods installed on the server sometimes.

Just refresh till you can see it. All servers have this "problem"
    What is the query port, maybe I need to open that up on the firewall. I can see all servers mods but mine.

The Shine Epsilon bots are pretty good, I'm digging this mod :smiley:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Query port is always one port up.
    So if your gameport is 27015, query is 27016.
    If gameport is 27022 then query is 27023, etc
    the ports are open on my router... BAH! I'm not going to worry too much about it, the server shows in the damn browser :smiley:
    changed port to defaults and now mods list...

Regarding bots,

Seems after latest patch the bot AI is off the charts. previous patch they were challenging but now they walk all over everyone and are super hard.

Have there been any AI level changes and is there a way to set the bot skill level? Is there anything in the last patch that would affect the bots AI?
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I lost 800 skill points in a match :D
    m1wcaz8k6abp.jpg

Not that I care like at all, just being informative here
    I think that it was a game that I was playing alone against bots, and they rushed the CC while I was killing their hive :p
    The AI is evolving on it's own... skynet is here.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Blrg wrote: »
    I lost 800 skill points in a match :D
    m1wcaz8k6abp.jpg

Not that I care like at all, just being informative here
    I think that it was a game that I was playing alone against bots, and they rushed the CC while I was killing their hive :p

The reason might be that bots have a Skill of 0 and you lost against them. So it was: 1994 vs 0. That's why you lost so much skill points.
    I think the hive is reporting the rounds because the game mode is reported as "NS2".
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    wooza wrote: »
    The reason might be that bots have a Skill of 0 and you lost against them. So it was: 1994 vs 0. That's why you lost so much skill points.
    I think the hive is reporting the rounds because the game mode is reported as "NS2".

I thought about that, but as far as I know there is a cap on how many points you can win/lose in a single round. I think that the cap is around 80 skill points

Edit: thinking a little more about it, bots don't appear in the end screen. So I think that the problem is that the skill algorithm calculated a loss of 1 player against 0 players. Zeros and algorithms don't usually mix well. A 0 in the skill average is contemplated in the system, but I don't think that a 0 in the number of players has ever been considered .