Update 302 now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It doesn't make any sense that I don't have control over the action either. Regardless you end up with a queue lol
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not every Server had PGP before luckily.

I also want a server-toggle for warmup, but I don't see how that's relevant to your point. You were asking for a way for individual players to turn off pgp/warmup, not servers.

To any server ops who want to turn off warmup before Ghoul (hopefully) adds a vanilla option, you can load PGP and set it to turn off at 0 players.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Frozen wrote: »
    It doesn't make any sense that I don't have control over the action either. Regardless you end up with a queue lol

What? You aren't pressing a key bound to forward and using your mouse to aim in the direction of the giant blue PG? ;)

Pressing E to phase sucks with the door model the current PG uses..it results in a line and thus makes it substantially easier to grind gates for aliens.
    It would work if you had NS1 style "big dish plate on floor" PG, then you could have many use it simultaneously.. but really it'd be better to just fix the bug.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What if we switched to @howser 's triple phase gate model. It would make it so you can't grind gates as easily, and it would make it so you can't hop through the gate if it doesn't work.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Just played on Jambi DiomondGamers server, was the ONLY person to phasegate for an entire minute nobody was even close to the PhaseGate and went from Docking bay to Docking bay, same room not behind anyone or simultaniously phasing.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Keats wrote: »
    Not every Server had PGP before luckily.

I also want a server-toggle for warmup, but I don't see how that's relevant to your point. You were asking for a way for individual players to turn off pgp/warmup, not servers.

To any server ops who want to turn off warmup before Ghoul (hopefully) adds a vanilla option, you can load PGP and set it to turn off at 0 players.
    I am not a Server ops. I only want to run around the map pregame without getting killed.

This was already a Problem before when the Server had PGP. It was not a Problem on servers without PGP.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I still don't get why this is a "problem" though welsh...

I still use pre game to practice things like wall jumping or tricky jumps as a marine, only it's better practice because I have to avoid the other team while doing so. (Helped me become better at getting past the other team to hit res)

Plus you can practice using higher life forms or using the jetpack, and none if your deaths matter.

Just seems like a rather pointless thing for the devs to spend time on "fixing"
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Just seems like a rather pointless thing for the devs to spend time on "fixing"
    Everyone should go to the Spark Collective Server (Sunday 9pm UTC) and annoy the devs and mappers when they want to explore maps with killing them and producing annoying noise with constantly shooting guns!

For 2 years, server ops had the choice of using PGP or not. Some did, others not. I personally have observed and learned that PGP is counterproductive and extends the time till both sides have a comm and a scenario like I described above will occur.

Now we are just forced to use it without any config file.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nobody is arguing against a server toggle for warmup, except maybe the devs who have to balance their time implementing it. However, this is not the point Welsh was making. He wants a player toggle as well. He has explained that this was a problem before warmup mode, and so isn't really related to this patch. (It's a totally reasonable feature request though.)

>wooza quoted mofo

Wooza, what Mofo said seems pointless to fix is Welsh's individual toggle. Not the server toggle. Again, I think pretty much everyone wants a server toggle for warmup.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Some sort of passive darwinmode that only works pregame seems to be needed.
    wooza wrote: »

Now we are just forced to use it without any config file.

You are not being "forced" to use anything...
    Keats wrote: »

^^ See? You can disable it if you choose to, but instead you complain about the big bad devs screwing up your game...

I dunno maybe it's just me, I'd rather see the developers working on ACTUAL problems and improvements, instead of wasting their time on "fixes" for things that aren't even really broken.

• nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
    When's the next update gonna happen?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nanonoob wrote: »
    When's the next update gonna happen?
    The updates have been weekly coming out on Thursdays or Fridays for the last few months, but I don't know about the near future.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    ^^ See? You can disable it if you choose to, but instead you complain about the big bad devs screwing up your game...

I see no such complain. Your words, not his. Arguing about a feature = complaining about big bad devs ?

How about stopping systematic partiality everyone ? How about trying to have a fresh start ? Do we have to go thru a civil war to the bitter end ?
    edited June 2016
    Wake wrote: »

I see no such complain.

Seems to me like saying that they're "forcing" him to use warm up mode is a complaint...

Especially since he can disable it.

He could've argued against it or asked if there was a way to disable it, but no he takes the "they're forcing features on me" stance...

His attitude towards the devs just gets tiring. It comes across like he thinks everything they do is designed to harm him personally or something..
    edited June 2016
    You say you can't disable it then you explain how to disable it.. :|

Asking for a vanilla toggle is all fine and good, but complaining about it being "forced" on you when you know how to disable it seems sort of toxic towards the devs.

Especially since you run a large server and the warm up mode is disabled at 12+ players!! Even with your server 3/4ths empty it's basically disabled by default because you're still over 12 players.

Honestly, how often are you sitting at under 12 players trying to start a game for this "problem" to be "forced" upon you?

Just dial back on the toxic "big bad devs" attitude is all I'm saying.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    Especially since you run a large server and the warm up mode is disabled at 12+ players!! Even with your server 3/4ths empty it's basically disabled by default because you're still over 12 players.

Trust me, we play more 6vs6 now then most other server.
    Just dial back on the toxic "big bad devs" attitude is all I'm saying.

I said, I made the experience that PGP or Warmup or whatever you name it, is not effective and it extends the time till both side have a commander. I have decided to not run PGP for years due to that reason. There is enough moderators here that would immediately remove my posts if I would show a toxic behaviour against the devs.

What I was writing before is called Feedback.
    Deal with it.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited June 2016
    i think Wooza and other people commenting here including myself are just trying to find ways to improve the game from its current state, maybe there is already a solution to all this in update 303, stay tuned...
    edited June 2016

Pelargir wrote: »
    You say you can't disable it then you explain how to disable it.. :|

Asking for a vanilla toggle is all fine and good, but complaining about it being "forced" on you when you know how to disable it seems sort of toxic towards the devs.

Stop seeing toxicity everywhere. You can call it unreasonable or irrelevant feedback but it's far from being toxic to me.

Sorry maybe you're right and it's not quite as toxic as it seems... I just get sick of certain people twisting words to make things sound worse than they are. Their posts have had this "oh woe is me, the big bad devs are picking on me" tone to them ever since the 294 debacle and it's getting old.

But whatever, that's enough of that... I can't wait for 303.

• RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    What happened to update 303 btw?
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow

It seems that we all got used pretty fast to Friday Updates :wink:

I guess that they decided to postpone it until Monday since today there is the Newcomer Tournament
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Blrg wrote: »

It seems that we all got used pretty fast to Friday Updates :wink:

I guess that they decided to postpone it until Monday since today there is the Newcomer Tournament

I don't think it's related. I bet the build isn't ready yet.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    I just get sick of certain people twisting words to make things sound worse than they are.

Oh really ? Well that's great......
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members

Error 303: Update not found

Looks like you're short of about 101 builds x)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    the reason for build 303 beinmg delayed is that phase 2 has just finished and I think phase 3 hasn't been confirmed yet
    Mephilles wrote: »
    the reason for build 303 beinmg delayed is that phase 2 has just finished and I think phase 3 hasn't been confirmed yet

Looks like phase 3 confirmed.