Update 302 now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 302 now live on steam! - Natural Selection 2

This week is all about fixes and fun! As you will see in the changelog below we have made many adjustments to all of the maps including our newest awesome...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2016
    Highlighting this:

You now have until Monday, 6/13, to earn the Abyss skulk skin by playing on Caged! Enjoy the extra couple of days.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is it possible to exlude yourself from the warm up mode?
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    edited June 2016

You could always just hangout in the ready room or do nothing until 12 players show up.
    remi wrote: »
    Highlighting this:

You now have until Monday, 6/13, to earn the Abyss skulk skin by playing on Caged! Enjoy the extra couple of days.

Could we get some screens of the Abyss skulk?

Love the flamethrower buffs, that thing is difficult to find a use for.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Please ban my forum account now.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »

You could always just hangout in the ready room or do nothing until 12 players show up.

Yea very entertaining to camp in the ready room.
    edited June 2016
    You don't want to shoot aliens/bite marines and you also don't want to hangout and chill.

What do you want?

Edited for double negative.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bite immortal marines
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oh, right, friday.

"So we put PG+ into the game, but we're not acknowledging that we did or that such a thing as PG+ exists."

Not really a fan of making the lerk spores see-through for marines; Tactically obscuring vision with them was a thing. And would have been more of a thing if commanders ever got lerk ups.

At the SCC maptests every sunday we usually take a look at updated maps before playing them. We explicitly do not use PG+ there because it's annoying to get killed while taking a look at the map. I'm sure server operators would be thankful for an option to turn it off.
    Fair enough, I also like to do some site-seeing before matches start. Heck, I enjoy doing it in the middle of a match.
    Oh, right, friday.

"So we put PG+ into the game, but we're not acknowledging that we did or that such a thing as PG+ exists."

Not really a fan of making the lerk spores see-through for marines; Tactically obscuring vision with them was a thing. And would have been more of a thing if commanders ever got lerk ups.

At the SCC maptests every sunday we usually take a look at updated maps before playing them. We explicitly do not use PG+ there because it's annoying to get killed while taking a look at the map. I'm sure server operators would be thankful for an option to turn it off.

That is also true for every official map when you play a normal round. So I am not really interested to get killed everytime when I just want to run around the map.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Stardog wrote: »
    Yeah, put the ping number back.

just leaving this here:
    zeep wrote: »
    Why was this changed? A number tells me much more than bars.

Because the number are inaccurate and misleading due to how latency gets measured by the steam master server system. Often a server having 20 ms higher latency turns out to be in the end the server with less latency as soon as you ping it directly. I don't think anyone is aware about this little but important fact and that's why the the ping numbers are not shown in the server list to display that they are approximated in the first place.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2016
    wooza wrote: »
    We have never used [Shine]PregamePlus because it takes much longer to find commanders with it enabled.
    Is there some options for server ops to disable the "warmup" feature?

True, but then again the only times where it will be enabled is under 12 (6v6)

Surely you aren't complaining about it making the wait longer for a comm while seeding? That's just silly.

Besides on your server it shouldn't be a problem, like ever... Unless you start a lot of games with less than 12 people in the server...

I'd say it's one of the best improvements they've done... Especially adding bots to it. (bots are great for seeding)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

Well now spores are useful and commanders will get them. And lerks won't need to die to use them. So, those are plusses. And most people will disagree with you about the value of vision obscuration in the ability. It's not necessary for balance with projectiles like it was with cropdust

Vision obscuring anything is out of place in the combat dynamic of NS in general. It's why cysts aren't as crazy obscuring as they once were. It's not that useful, but it IS that annoying.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marine maximum Sprint speed reduced by 0.25, now 6 (was 6.25 max)

.... why? ....
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Should've been 'replaced sprint button with walk slowly button.' :tongue:

This actually makes more sense to me. Sprint should just be on by default.
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members

There is a walk button actually, "alternative movement" or something. Mine is on Caps.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016

I mean I want to silently walk slower without resulting to doing the duck walk. Could add the function to holding the use key, like how it worked for hl1 & it's mods such as ns1.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2016
    Tyrwing wrote: »

There is a walk button actually, "alternative movement" or something. Mine is on Caps.

that was comp mod, tyr.
    migalski wrote: »

.... why? ....

comp mod had it reduced to 5.75 for reasons already said here. edit: what I don't understand is how the patch is reducing it from 6.25 to 6 when i'm 99% certain it's always been 6.0 by default.
    Marine.kRunMaxSpeed = 5.75				// Comp Mod change, decreased from 6.

can't be going crazy because the comp mod documentation shows that as well
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    @turtsmcgurt
    mcglaspie wrote:
    The way the sprint velocity is calculated, it works out where (before) max-speed was 6.25, and is not 6

You would have to ask him if you want more than that.
    Therius wrote: »
    Sprint has always been a feature that NS2 never needed.

I have agreed with that for over 5 years now.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/114195/sprinting-do-we-still-need-it/p1

Sprinting has caused nothing but problems to the game flow and engagement balance ever since it was introduced. People say you can't have a good game without sprinting but look at the popularity of CS:GO.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Therius wrote: »
    migalski wrote: »

.... why? ....

Most really competent players would agree that marine mobility is too high in NS2, especially in the early game. Sprint has always been a feature that NS2 never needed.

This seems especially well paired with the gorge tunnel delay.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Make sprinting an upgrade. Solved.
    I personally really like sprinting. I would also be fine if sprint was an upgrade. But what I would like more in general is more and better movement options for aliens AND marines. Make fights more dynamic please.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver