What happened to the "Feedback Forum" iniative

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Following on from another thread

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2292367/#Comment_2292367

What happened to this, it was a fantastic iniative where the community could present ideas which were much needed and wanted for NS2, there was some fantastic ideas being upvoted during the time PDT was first formed and circa Phase 1 then the whole thing went quiet?

NS2 needed this as it provided a clear bridge between UWE & the community which is SORELY needed. It's pretty disappointing that this was never kept on top of and may have contributed to the mood / atmosphere of the community as of late.

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I think they do listen, all the time. They actually try really hard. But unfortunately, I fear they often simply do not understand.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    I was super happy when the bioluminescence went in. But it ended up being removed because of community feedback. The devs do listen. They listen to just about everything. Listening does not mean they will always follow the community feedback. They removed atmospheric lights, but kept healthbars. They listened the the feedback on both.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I don't get what the hell is wrong with you people. Never ever before have the devs listened and implemented community requested changes like they're doing now.

Examples?
    + ranged spores (comp mod)
    + cyst hp scaling (comp mod)
    + focus
    + flame thrower rate of fire
    + MG (comp mod)
    + silence/cloak split (comp mod)
    + silence to shift hive
    + power node built time w/o welder
    + onos gore damage
    + exo changes (comp mod)
    + gorge webs changes
    + gorge babbler changes

But, yeah, lets just ignore all of those things and mindlessly parrot bullshit.

Well, HMG is not the same as in Comp Mod and webs are even worse now. Also the bad cloak upgrade is still in the game (vampirism) and Exo ROF is a pretty bad chnage too imo. But other than that, yes, those changes are good.

But should we forget about all the other terrible changes because some have been good?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the point was that we should not forget all the good changes, because they made some bad ones.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    I think the point was that we should not forget all the good changes, because they made some bad ones.

Unfortunately the negative impact of the bad changes is much bigger than the positive impact of the good changes.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    webs are even worse now

Sometimes I wonder if us two are even playing the same game.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited June 2016
    With a part of the community organizing bad reviews and building their community around the hate towards UWE and PDT, etc i can't say i blame the devs. But i also agree with posters saying that they are exactly doing what you say, they listen as good as they can, given their role running a commercial game company. Don't get infected with the disease, @Yojimbo ; )

/peace
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I don't get what the hell is wrong with you people. Never ever before have the devs listened and implemented community requested changes like they're doing now.

Examples?
    + ranged spores (comp mod)
    + cyst hp scaling (comp mod)
    + focus
    + flame thrower rate of fire
    + MG (comp mod)
    + silence/cloak split (comp mod)
    + silence to shift hive
    + power node built time w/o welder
    + onos gore damage
    + exo changes (comp mod)
    + gorge webs changes
    + gorge babbler changes

But, yeah, lets just ignore all of those things and mindlessly parrot bullshit.

These changes UWE has made independently of what the community is posting on the feedback forum. They had more a plan they have followed and by some luck, some people wrote the same ideas which were part of their plan.

If you want to know how much UWE is caring about the existing ns2 community, here is a snippet from Charlie Cleveland about my consumer complaint:

"There is a constant back-and-forth between serving our current community and looking beyond that to growing it. We've learned the hard way that if we only do what our community asks for, the game stagnates and shrinks - so we must try to "zoom out" and see NS2 in a longer-term view."

• jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited June 2016
    wooza has proclaimed himself as the king of the ns2 community...not very unexpected. and that post from flayra sounds wise in my ears.
    jrgn wrote: »
    wooza has proclaimed himself as the king of the ns2 community...not very unexpected. and that post from flayra sounds wise in my ears.

Rofl. When did he do that? But yea, he is a king, the king of wooza community. A community that is pretty large.
  • NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    I have always felt during these updates there a quite a bit of good things added. Especially somethings like the welder becoming the build tool when bought. However, I've also disliked how a lot of the changes during these updates can be so seemingly unnecessary and just 'changed just to be changed'. The best examples I can think of are with mines. In Build 299, mine health was reduced to forty, the cost was reduced to eight, and now you get two mines for that eight res. This made mines weaker, but cost less res. However, the change in Build 300 made mines in general worse since the cost was later increased to ten res. Can I ask why?!?! Why did mines need to become weaker and its res be changed? What was the point of this change? Mines have always been perfectly balanced in my eyes. Temporary point protection for early game. A pack of three (100 hp) mines for fifteen res always seemed to be the near perfect amount. Place two on gate, then a third next to the doorway. It cost fifteen res, but overall it was an investment. Defend your expansion for fifteen res or spend nothing for reduced protection. Similar changes like this exist and some make little to no sense. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
    NexZone30 wrote: »
    I think you are highlighting an actual issue with communication. I don't think UWE is making it entirely clear their reasoning for making the balance changes. They gave their reasons for healtbars on the forums, many people still disagreed, but at least they gave them. People who don't visit the forums won't see that though, but nothing can really help that.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jokes aside for a minute -

I always said that some changes are good, they have listened to and do actively listen to feedback, off course its not there fault that some feedback is stupid, or its the 1000th time someone has said the same thing. Most of the changes have come from feedback and ideas from here.

Now back to the Jokes...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    They gave their reasons for healtbars on the forums, many people still disagreed, but at least they gave them.

Because refusing to respond to any negative feedback about it and cherry-picking the positive ones is listening right?

No but your right, they technically gave their reasons at first, but they haven't given any reasons as to why they are still going through with it after all the counter-arguments were made.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    While I'm glad UWE listens to their community more than other games, I'm also glad they aren't chained to their every whim. This community at times is just as toxic as LoL or CS:GO. Maybe it's just the year of hyperbole or something, political seasons can bring out the worst in forums/social media.

There have been a lot of great changes lately (health bars, webs, new tutorials and training modes) and a few of stinkers (removing atmospheric lighting, some of the new alien upgrades, awkward art pass on the machine gun) but the fact that the game is churning through changes so rapidly gives me a lot of hope. Developers that don't care wouldn't iterate so heavily on a game this old, they would have moved on. And that's what keeps me coming back every few weeks.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    While I'm glad UWE listens to their community more than other games, I'm also glad they aren't chained to their every whim.

Developers that don't care wouldn't iterate so heavily on a game this old, they would have moved on.
    They moved on ages ago. It's the CDT making everything now, isn't it? http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-dev-team-our-community/

That's the real reason everyone should stop moaning. They're doing it largely in their own time.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    This community at times is just as toxic as LoL or CS:GO.

Sometimes it is toxicity, but sometimes it is loudness. I'd like to point out that those two aren't the same thing.

The issues are that some of the changes that you do perceive as 'great' aren't necessarily perceived similarly by other community members. I find their devotion a good thing. They express their opinions on a game they have, for the most, been playing for months and years now.

You can't claim all the current changes to the game are positive for everyone. Neither can you say they're all bad.
    While I'm glad UWE listens to their community more than other games,

lol
    edited June 2016
    Pelargir wrote: »
    This community at times is just as toxic as LoL or CS:GO.

Sometimes it is toxicity, but sometimes it is loudness. I'd like to point out that those two aren't the same thing.

The issues are that some of the changes that you do perceive as 'great' aren't necessarily perceived similarly by other community members. I find their devotion a good thing. They express their opinions on a game they have, for the most, been playing for months and years now.

You can't claim all the current changes to the game are positive for everyone. Neither can you say they're all bad.

Nonsense. The world revolves around me and only my opinions matter, as I clearly stated in that post you quoted.

Edit: ^ sarcasm. Clearly my claim is meant only to reflect my opinions, I'm not going to stick an IMO disclaimer in front of every sentence I type.
    Stardog wrote: »
    While I'm glad UWE listens to their community more than other games, I'm also glad they aren't chained to their every whim.

Developers that don't care wouldn't iterate so heavily on a game this old, they would have moved on.
    They moved on ages ago. It's the CDT making everything now, isn't it? http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-dev-team-our-community/

That's the real reason everyone should stop moaning. They're doing it largely in their own time.

@Stardog The CDT doesn't really exist anymore. UWE hired several members of the CDT. UWE is paying for NS2's development for the last 6 months.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Nordic Then what do you call people like myself who contribute cinematic and in game effects on their own time, or @Flaterectomy who makes a map on their own time - neither of us are hired by UWE.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Nordic Then what do you call people like myself who contribute cinematic and in game effects on their own time, or @Flaterectomy who makes a map on their own time - neither of us are hired by UWE.

Contributors? There are people who still give their contribute to the game for free. I did not say there were not. People did this before the CDT even existed.
    You're a very dedicated customer, IronHorse.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    coolitic wrote: »
    They said they would be more transparent and listen to the community.

They could not have more perfectly done the opposite of the latter.

You'd be amazed how difficult it is to hear constructive criticism in a huge croud of wailing whining bi-- Adult babies.