Welcome to Caged - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    Caged as a mod was already more popular than many official maps. I think it will be fine

I think it will be fine, but I don't think it was *that* popular. I've seen a server die after it got voted for just a week ago, and I haven't seen it being voted for that often. Of course, this is anecdotal.

Do you forget I have all the stats? Let me get home and I will prove it by posting a graph.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    remi wrote: »
    Caged as a mod was already more popular than many official maps. I think it will be fine

I think it will be fine, but I don't think it was *that* popular. I've seen a server die after it got voted for just a week ago, and I haven't seen it being voted for that often. Of course, this is anecdotal.
    Nordic is referring to the data we've tracked. There have been more games played on caged than some of the official maps, and the balance on caged better than some official as well.

Oh! Well, that is a pleasant surprise. Apart from eclipse - which official maps are less popular than caged?

Do you forget I have all the stats? Let me get home and I will prove it by posting a graph.

Please do, I'd love to see them.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    While rushing sewer on caged I noticed something really annoying.. for some reasen the commander used mist on the higher level which made me unable to target the skulks below in the lower level .. dont know if its a general issue.. but I think its annoying.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    "4 Tech Points and 10 Resource Points"

I think you'll find it has 11 Resource Points...
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    "4 Tech Points and 10 Resource Points"

I think you'll find it has 11 Resource Points...

^^ yep.. Was counting them last night..

Marine start
    Stability
    DAT1
    Generator
    Shipping
    Ventilation
    Purification
    Sewer
    Lower waste flow
    Sanitation
    Central

=11
  • zayvi1204zayvi1204 Taiwan Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218021Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited June 2016
    @Flaterectomy I think it's really awesome that you mention me on that sign in the secret room, and I thank you very much for it, but... you spelled my name wrong I:<
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Flaterectomy I think it's really awesome that you mention me on that sign in the secret room, and I thank you very much for it, but... you spelled my name wrong I:<

Oh balls, I did? I'm sorry dude. I literally made that texture 15 minutes before my deadline. I will make sure it's fixed with the next patch. :blush:

Oh balls, I did? I'm sorry dude. I literally made that texture 15 minutes before my deadline. I will make sure it's fixed with the next patch. :blush:

I forgive you.
    For now.

:P
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Huge congrats to @Flaterectomy! It's finally done and it looks awesome.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    *slow clap*

Now to figure out how many rooms you've changed since i last looked at it. ...that's going to be "fun".
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Blrg wrote: »
    System wrote: »
    players who play on caged for two hours or more within the first week of release will unlock a new skulk skin

Are the 2 hours required counted in Hive Time (only ranked servers)?

The time is counted independently from hive ;) And you also don't have to play 2 hours at once but total over the next 7 days.

Someone asked a good question to expand this further... does it count time spent in the ready room? or does it have to be time accumulated during rounds?

I was lucky enough to join a server running nothing but Caged and got the skin... and it looks awesome. Also really liking the flamethrower change as it no longer feels like a useless weapon, I was able to actually kill skulks with it.

In order for time to be accumulated, you must:
    - Be on caged
    - Be on marines or aliens
    - The game must be in the middle of a match.
    - Be on a dedicated server (not a listen server).

Hehehehe... I was online yesterday, telling people how to get the skin, and one guy says "LOL I'll just idle in listen server", and he left before I could tell him that wouldn't work. Wonder how long they waited for? :P
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    *slow clap*

Now to figure out how many rooms you've changed since i last looked at it. ...that's going to be "fun".

Try to find all the gorge plushies! There's one in every room, and they are deviously hidden :D
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    Need to see if Herakles can pull off a level 3 Gen turtle on this version :smiley:
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Idleing for skin doesn't work so well. It always gets out of hand: "might aswell play a match". Hehe
    I like the map.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Live_Feed wrote: »
    Need to see if Herakles can pull off a level 3 Gen turtle on this version :smiley:

hera doesn't play ns2 anymore? :? 0 hours in the past 2 weeks
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Do the FL changes now mean im supposed to burn through a clip far far faster now? Seems like a nerf rather than making it functional again.

Anyone? I know the FL is pretty much the red headed step child of the weapon list but I quite like to cleanse the unclean now and again, Just wondered if the increase in fire rate making the tank burn a lot quicker is intentional.
    Therius wrote: »
    I think one of the best server browser improvements has been that server ping is now shown as a vague bar instead of a number. I think this should be implemented to indicate how full the server is as well. For an average gamer, it's too difficult to see with a quick glance which servers can be joined, and a more intuitive and deprived-of-information interface would definitely help. While we're at it, just replace the entire server browser with a huge signal bar that tells you your chances of getting to play NS2 today.

Please post again so I can awesome you twice
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    I think one of the best server browser improvements has been that server ping is now shown as a vague bar instead of a number. I think this should be implemented to indicate how full the server is as well. For an average gamer, it's too difficult to see with a quick glance which servers can be joined, and a more intuitive and deprived-of-information interface would definitely help. While we're at it, just replace the entire server browser with a huge signal bar that tells you your chances of getting to play NS2 today.
    outlook-not-good.jpg
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do the FL changes now mean im supposed to burn through a clip far far faster now? Seems like a nerf rather than making it functional again.

Anyone? I know the FL is pretty much the red headed step child of the weapon list but I quite like to cleanse the unclean now and again, Just wondered if the increase in fire rate making the tank burn a lot quicker is intentional.

I went and asked a dev directly on discord for you. You are welcome.

With the increased fire rate of the flamethrower, you now use the fuel faster. This was not directly intended. They decided to keep it lower because it made the flamethrower's sustained fire time more consistent with the rest of the weapons.

I don't see this as an issue myself. The flamethrower was buffed in a good way. It is more responsive and feels great, although it may not be all that strong in a PvP setting still.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

I went and asked a dev directly on discord for you. You are welcome.

With the increased fire rate of the flamethrower, you now use the fuel faster. This was not directly intended. They decided to keep it lower because it made the flamethrower's sustained fire time more consistent with the rest of the weapons.

I don't see this as an issue myself. The flamethrower was buffed in a good way. It is more responsive and feels great, although it may not be all that strong in a PvP setting still.

Flamethrowers are fundamentally flawed as they are right now and I don't think a simple fire rate change is the fix it needs. If you continued to make the flamethrower stronger as it is right now, it would prevent aliens from fighting in their strongest range. Marines are all about long range and keeping their distances(save for the shotgun), which is why I believe making the flamethrower a weapon that is weak up close but strong at long distance engagements is the way to go.
    Do you also think lerks should not have spikes?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you also think lerks should not have spikes?

Not sure if this is a joke or you didn't see my recent tangent on it.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2291984/#Comment_2291984
    Lerks without spikes? Yeah Sounds like a great idea. Maybe it helps rookies so they cannot become frustrated by getting spiked down by Lerks. We should also consider removing Fade swipe because it is no fun for rookies to get killed by unkillable Godly Fades.

What I hate about lerk spikes is it allows them to do damage literally every second they are in a room until either they or their target dies. At least with fades they actually have to get close to do any damage, which puts them at risk of getting squished or 2-3 shotted by a shotgun.

In NS1 3.2, lerks only had two means of attack which were ranged spores and bite, which kept lerks as a strong support class for most players as they would often opt for the long range damage over time rather than swoop in for the risky but high damage bite, it also made them vulnerable if they wanted to harass structures as they would have to be in the same range a skulk would be. In NS2, due to the spikes, lerks are able to dish out continuous damage to their targets at any given distance which means they don't have a predictable range of motion like the other lifeforms have.

So yeah, I don't think lerks should have spikes.
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    Martigen wrote: »
    I do like how recent patches have been slowly introducing NS1 features back.

Have to try out the spores :)

But Spores have always been in NS2. They just nerfed them.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    NoM wrote: »
    Martigen wrote: »
    I do like how recent patches have been slowly introducing NS1 features back.

Have to try out the spores :)

But Spores have always been in NS2. They just nerfed them.

Making it a ranged weapon is more than a "nerf" tho.
    Interesting one as it give lerk some interdiction capacity, but may be a bit op (a bit op, lol, go figure !) when attacking marine strongpoints.
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
    NoM i agree and I love who designed the skulk skin