air tank capacity changed.

WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
Not sure if this was known or intended but with todays power nap update my high capacity tank now only provides me with 105 seconds of air where as before it provided 165 seconds.

Comments

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    WarViper wrote: »
    Not sure if this was known or intended but with todays power nap update my high capacity tank now only provides me with 105 seconds of air where as before it provided 165 seconds.

They brought back stackable tanks.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I was under the impression they'd leave us with both systems? I am not a fan of lugging around extra tanks.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Great more stuff to take up space in my already limited inventory.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

Is the airtank slot still on the paperdoll ui?
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members

Is the airtank slot still on the paperdoll ui?

yes but now the high capacity tank has been reduced by over 50%.
  • Dusty_MonkDusty_Monk United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217897Members
    I'd rather have non-stacking tanks with double capacity. i.e. I prefered the system prior to this update.
  • igottapi4igottapi4 US Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217419Members
    Yes, this change is seriously making me question whether to get the game or not. Im playing with my sisters game and was panning on buying it this week for myself but the change in oxygen tanks is really bad IMO. I dont like how little time we now have or that we need to use 4 extra inventory space to get what we had before.
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    You only need the extra oxygen when you're exploring far away from your seamoth. Like in a deep area, cave, or wreck.

You can also make a re-breather that will extend your oxygen.

When you're deep or inside a wreck you're more likely to be scanning things and not using you're inventory.

I'd like a little more inventory space too but it's not that difficult to work around.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    now the high capacity tank has been reduced by over 50%.
    NO, it was reduced by exactly 50%. 165 = 120 + 45 (lungs). 105 = 60 + 45 (lungs).

To all those who are upset - I'm assuming many if not all of you are new to Subnautica. When they implemented the paper doll tank slot and non-stacking tanks, there was a significant amount of complaining. Enough for them to reconsider the change.
  • vielviel Russia Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 217973Members
    Why does no one say something about movement speed so drastically depending on inventory fullness?
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Meh, they're easy enough to get and the extra slot only really extends an expedition by a day or two. Either way works for me really.
    edited June 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    now the high capacity tank has been reduced by over 50%.
    NO, it was reduced by exactly 50%. 165 = 120 + 45 (lungs). 105 = 60 + 45 (lungs).

To all those who are upset - I'm assuming many if not all of you are new to Subnautica. When they implemented the paper doll tank slot and non-stacking tanks, there was a significant amount of complaining. Enough for them to reconsider the change.

Guilty as charged, but I am read up on SN's Trello, so I know of the card regarding this:

"As per latest discussion with Charlie and Obraxis: The oxygen tanks in the inventory should still add to the total oxygen available to the player. So both the tank in the equipment slot AND the "passive" tanks in the inventory should count.

The reason is simple: we want to make the life easier for those players who, for whatever reason, don't want to worry about oxygen so much.

The "excuse" why something passive in the inventory comes with some active effect is that there would be automatic swapping of tanks going on when the equipped tank is empty. Technically we don't really swap the tanks though. We just count the total oxygen and be done with it."

The fact that it was phrased "we want to make the life easier for those players who, for whatever reason, don't want to worry about oxygen so much" made me think we'd get both systems, considering the return of the old is a specific accommodation.

What I propose as what I think (I might be missing a secondary mechanic attribute?) is a fair middle ground is that the stacking values are kept for unequipped tanks and the not-stacking values for equipped tanks. Ie, you get 60 seconds with a regular air tank if equipped and only 30 if it's unequipped.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    What I propose as what I think (I might be missing a secondary mechanic attribute?) is a fair middle ground is that the stacking values are kept for unequipped tanks and the not-stacking values for equipped tanks. Ie, you get 60 seconds with a regular air tank if equipped and only 30 if it's unequipped.

Truth be told, Devs are in a no-win scenario here.

Peoples complained
    Peoples complains now
    Peoples will complain in the future too

No matter what they do, leave it or change it, there will be people that'll bitch about it no matter what.
    Personally im thankfull about the paperdoll tank slot they added. If i feel like i want more O2 for exploring a wreck for instance i just bring more airtanks with me for the trip and thats about it.

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If there's one thing that should get into options it's O2 handling. The next would probably be sub custom controls.
  • TijnnultienTijnnultien netherlands Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207447Members
    can't they let you upgrade your o2 thank again so you you don't have to stack it, and still have the tank of 105 o2
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Just copying this from the battery whinethread, what I wrote there fits here too:

Using the Seaglide with fins like forever. Yes, it seems it depletes a bit faster now, but with the recharger absolutely no problem. Having one or 2 batteries in my inv while the others recharge. I think some are just overreacting here, similar to the o2 thread where so many are complaining now.

Considering it was the opposite before the patch, everyone whining for additional tanks (and me saying keep it as it is xD ), it`s just a bad joke, here and in the o2 thread.
    DEAL WITH IT.
    Problem is the Devs shouldn`t listen that much to all the whinethreads because you can never satisfy everyone.
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Truth be told, Devs are in a no-win scenario here.

Peoples complained
    Peoples complains now
    Peoples will complain in the future too

No matter what they do, leave it or change it, there will be people that'll **** about it no matter what.
    Personally im thankfull about the paperdoll tank slot they added. If i feel like i want more O2 for exploring a wreck for instance i just bring more airtanks with me for the trip and thats about it.

I do hope my post conveyed that I fully understand the dev's dilemma. My proposal tries to find a balance that might satisfy both viewpoints based on the argument laid out on Trello as to why the air tank mechanic changed back. I don't know much about programming, but I think this would not be a difficult change. Nor gameplay-breaking.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Would it be easier to just add in another tier of tanks that have the old high capacity volume? Copy the code and change a few numbers? The mechanics would be identical, the model and icon would be identical except for a text change... (obviously, I'm not a programmer >.<)
    Ralij wrote: »
    Would it be easier to just add in another tier of tanks that have the old high capacity volume? Copy the code and change a few numbers? The mechanics would be identical, the model and icon would be identical except for a text change... (obviously, I'm not a programmer >.<)

Now I feel silly because that is obviously the much more logical and fun accommodation.

All in all, I haven't actually had any trouble adjusting to the change, so with a more thorough tank upgrade system things should be fine this way.
  • simusimu Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201680Members
    The previous oxygen system was fine - the tanks did not stack, but you could have additional tanks in the inventory and swap them with the one in the slot - remembering to also do so to refill the used ones...
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    I was not a fan of tank swapping, it felt like busy work, open the inventory, drag drop, close inventory. Besides, deep and cave divers with 4-5 tanks don't constantly switch out the one on their back.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I never got the issue people have with this change. It is basically the same as a year ago, but with higher capacity. I actually enjoyed not being able to stack, AND I thought that 165 seconds were too much. The 105 seconds might be a bit on the low side, though, but not by much. Five seconds longer seems cool. Or plain two minutes.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    AceDynamo wrote: »
    I was not a fan of tank swapping, it felt like busy work, open the inventory, drag drop, close inventory. Besides, deep and cave divers with 4-5 tanks don't constantly switch out the one on their back.

This. The fact of the matter is that stacking tanks is functionally equivalent to swapping tanks, but without the busywork. The end result is still that you have 3 or 5 or whatever tanks worth of air. Yes with swapping you'll probably "lose" a few seconds here or there because you're spending more time with the PDA open fiddling with your tanks, but not that much.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    edited June 2016
    I'll go on record as saying that the paperdoll tank slot was a great improvement, but losing half the capacity of the tanks so that you now have to carry two tanks to get the oxygen you used to have with one — except that now you have to stop and swap tanks in the middle — takes back all of the gain. In fact, it's WORSE, because now you have to use twelve spaces of inventory, plus the paperdoll slot, to carry the oxygen you used to be able to carry in eight. And you'll have to swap tanks three times.

On a related subject ... is it just me, or do rebreathers not seem to actually be adding any extra breathing time?
    On a related subject ... is it just me, or do rebreathers not seem to actually be adding any extra breathing time?

Can't say what individual save files do, but the rebreather works for me. Just a few days ago I went into the JSC to get lithium and magnetite with an unupgraded Seamoth and it did make a difference how much time I had to gather and return whether I wore the radiation helmet or rebreather.

• Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    You know the other problem with swapping tanks, instead of extra tanks just stacking?

If you're carrying multiple tanks, you can't tell which tank has air in it. I just drowned, carrying only two tanks, because I tried four times to swap my tank and got the wrong tank four times out of four tries.
    @Alrekr_Ironhand ... are you playing on X-box or something? Because the current stable build on steam you don't need to swap tanks - they just stack.

Rebreathers don't add extra breathing time unless you're deep. Normally as you go down, you'll notice the depth gauge go from white to yellow to red. As it does so, the rate at which you expend O2 increases. The rebreather stops this issue, but it doesn't do anything for you near the surface.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited June 2016
    I personally did not like the swap tanks idea. Tanks should stack and I'd like to see a higher air reserve in them aswell but that is just my personal opinion. I like to dive more and come up for air/visit my Seamoth/Cyclops less. Maybe add a thrid tier of air tanks in a future update? Or even an unlimited air supply technology like artificial gills or something like that...just for the endgame of course with a fair need of resources and fragments to gather first. After all the game is set in a high tech time where mankind has the technology to fly to other far away planets or not? ;)

Edit: Those gills could maybe be limited in a way that you would have to stay still for them to refill your tanks or keep moving to gain air like some fish need to.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    edited June 2016
    I much preferred the non-stacking tanks version.

Redesigning to FORCE players to use stacking tanks to get the clearly intended air capacity is just giving in to people on the forums who HATE MY INVENTORY SPACE.