Reaper attacking cyclops?

TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
So earlier I decided to look for the mountain wreckage and eventually found it (I've started to find the Aurora rescue mission PDAs and I'm hungry for lore). Unfortunately this wreckage fell within the purview of a reaper leviathan's territory, so I decided to hang around and watch it. Normally reapers will completely blank the cyclops but this one suddenly started to snap its jaws and ram my cyclops in the middle.
This happened several times and the reaper always targeted the cyclop's flanks rather than the cockpit or tail. The animation is the same one they use when they approach you or your seamoth.

Eventually the reaper decided to move on so I followed it for a while. When I got a bit closer it started to repeat the attacking behaviour. I'm not sure if this is some sort of bug or a new behaviour...or if it knows I have a pet holefish on board that it must devour. Thought it was interesting anyway.

F5fgMsx.png

Dk1EMUu.png

L4orCr3.png

p2N5BEI.jpg

Is this happening for anyone else or am I just crazy?

Comments

• Buckets_sentry_gunBuckets_sentry_gun Puerto Rico Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217057Members
    edited June 2016
    Did the Cyclops made sounds? Like, when it attacked you? I also had a weird experience, but it was with the skinny fish that hangs around the kelp forest (forgot its name), it started attacking my base 0_0

Edit: Like, it wasn't going after me, I was watching from afar and I could see that fish just "bitting" parts of my base.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited June 2016
    Did the Cyclops made sounds? Like, when it attacked you? I also had a weird experience, but it was with the skinny fish that hangs around the kelp forest (forgot its name), it started attacking my base 0_0

It made the clanking sound that it would if it bumped into something and it was pushed quite a bit by the reaper. No damage though.
    I noticed that as well. My jelly mushroom cave base sprung a leak when a crab snake brushed by it...I also noticed that in Phlinger Phoo's videos, he repaired the Aurora and a stalker followed him up from the tunnel in the generator room, then the radiation leakage count went from zero to one because the stalker damaged one of the repaired parts.
  • Buckets_sentry_gunBuckets_sentry_gun Puerto Rico Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217057Members

It made the clanking sound that it would if it bumped into something and it was pushed quite a bit by the reaper. No damage though.
    I noticed that as well. My jelly mushroom cave base sprung a leak when a crab snake brushed by it...I also noticed that in Phlinger Phoo's videos, he repaired the Aurora and a stalker followed him up from the tunnel in the generator room, then the radiation leakage count went from zero to one.

Oooh! Well, I read somewhere that Reapers sometimes like to push the Cyclops down, but I don't know if that's intentional :open_mouth:

But yeah, some odd stuff is happening.
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    edited June 2016
    I've noted alot of interesting reaper behavior like this,
    they will occasionally knock around the cyclops, though it seems you must be very near it for it to trigger.

also I haven't seen this on other lifeforms, but i spawned some gasopods with a reaper be4 in deep waters, and watched with the camera drones as it attacked the gasopod and then DIVEBOMBED it to over 100meters deep with the gasopod still in its jaws (can provide screenshot proof with meters depth in picture)

I wonder what other kinds of reactions it can have with the environment!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Did you have a seamoth with you? I recall an experimental mode upload on YT where certain creatures attacked the Cyclops because they were actually targeting the Seamoth inside.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Did you have a seamoth with you? I recall an experimental mode upload on YT where certain creatures attacked the Cyclops because they were actually targeting the Seamoth inside.

Come to think of it, I do. That must be it!
  • TotalologistTotalologist Norwich, UK. Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215379Members
    Oooh! Well, I read somewhere that Reapers sometimes like to push the Cyclops down, but I don't know if that's intentional :open_mouth:

Can confirm, have been pushed below crush depth, probably a 50-60m shunt. If it was a clock face I was being pushed towards the 5 or 7 positions, not quite straight down but damn close.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    I experienced something similar about a year ago: the Reaper pushed my Cyclops from below so hard that at some point I was mid-air with my Cyclops.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Intrepid
    Please post that image, that sounds very cool and I had no idea it could happen!
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    sure thing, this was just off the coast of the floater island underneath it a way, i had a few gasopods spawned around a depth of 30 meters (note that gasopods dont tend to migrate any deeper than that usually)

this was around the initial attack
    zjdwtvlq7gbc.jpg

terrifyingly enough it didnt just bite it and be done, but rather seemingly grasped it and dove over 100Meters chomping on the unfortunate gasopod
    69148trj6alf.jpg

apparantly 149 exactly!
    n2d717anuyg4.jpg

r1.jpg 102.9K
    r2.jpg 93.7K
    r3.jpg 109.9K
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    This happened to me too while I was searching for stuff in the Dunes in my cyclops. I saw a reaper and had no fear, because the cyclops was waaaayy to strong to be attacked by even the strongest alien.

...but I guess I got a little too close for its liking, and my cyclops was pushed about so much that I glitched out of it and then got chomped by the reaper.
    I have very bad luck :neutral:
    @IntrepidH

I've watched a reaper attack a sandshark before but it was a much quicker kill.

nKaQTa4.png