Future plans for the Arctic biome?

KaruuKaruu Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216583Members
ws6ig49xk7cz.png

This is a reference sheet that I found on the Subnautica Wiki, showing some ideas for the potential Arctic biome.
I'd absolutely love to see this in the game, as personally I find the idea of icebergs with claustrophobic tunnel systems floating above a cold, black abyss both terrifying and beautiful.

I could see unique and fascinating animals living on top of those icebergs, and the sheer cold of the water could be an interesting and fun mechanic, challenging the player to make a new diving suit or maintain a warm body temperature to survive.
Of course that risk should come with a reward, such as resources inside those icebergs.

I could see medium sized predators like Bone Sharks dwelling around the bottom of the icebergs, and who knows what could be on the seabed.

This is of course all just ideas I'd like to see, but if some of them made it into the game I'd be more than happy!

Comments

• drbrianzdrbrianz USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216293Members
    I doubt this will make in to the game

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Yea I think this got scrapped. Seems like a lot of things might have been. I was hoping for a survival/sandbox with tons of content and a huge map, but it's looking more story based, which I'm not too happy about.
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Yea I think this got scrapped. Seems like a lot of things might have been. I was hoping for a survival/sandbox with tons of content and a huge map, but it's looking more story based, which I'm not too happy about.

I think eventually in the full release we will see alot more biomes than what we have now, even if its not this one in particular. The devs are probably working on story first because its much easier and faster than planning and creating a brand new biome, which would need new enemies and textures - aswell as terrain.

• Luke27262Luke27262 High Point Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218104Members
    I'm pretty sure if there is a Arctic biome. There will be some of the same fish and some new ones. I'd like to see a Arctic reaper leviathan that's fully white or a similar predator that swims up at the top of the ice in the ocean to blend in and then strikes out of nowhere.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Acutally, south of the crash zone and the unmarked territory, is the artic biome!
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    It not practical to have an arctic biome, it appear to be a warm part of the planet the ship crashed on .'
    1 the area water temperature would be much lower
    2 there is coral and fish like star on the bottom in arctic.
    3 the arctic weather conditions are not there, it would effect other biomes.
    4 you could freeze out in the water.
    5 it not like going to happen.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I have this sudden urge to whisper 'sequel' ...repeatedly for the next ten months.

Fingers crossed :)
    sabin77 wrote: »
    It not practical to have an arctic biome, it appear to be a warm part of the planet the ship crashed on .'
    1 the area water temperature would be much lower
    2 there is coral and fish like star on the bottom in arctic.
    3 the arctic weather conditions are not there, it would effect other biomes.
    4 you could freeze out in the water.
    5 it not like going to happen.

Yes, if it was realistic water temperatures would be <5 degrees. However, deep water temperatures tend to be similarly low (and an advanced dive suit could definitely solve hypothermia).

In the Arctic there are lots of reefs in the deeper waters, and plankton near the surface around the ice. The lack of temperature differences between the deep water and the surface water make it easy for nutrients to flow up from the depths - as a result it is the most productive kind of marine ecosystem with the most fish.

We currently lack a real weather model. The bigger issue is that some areas appear to be tropical year round ...and if the Arctic is near the top of the map and the equator is near the middle the planet must be only about 30 km wide!!! Which would be weird.

So, a sequel would be the way to go (maybe a sequel with an ability to fast-travel between biomes?)
  • KaruuKaruu Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216583Members
    Acutally, south of the crash zone and the unmarked territory, is the artic biome!

I did see a map of that, but last time I checked in person, there was nothing there.
    I have also yet to see a screenshot, or information on the wiki about this supposed Arctic biome south of the Aurora.

My guess is that it's not implemented yet, but will be around there when it is?

• WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    In one of the google docs they were talking about how the player could use the warpers technology to also warp can't remember which one though ):

So maybe it will be an end game biome that we could get to using said technology?

maybe the tranfuser?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited June 2016
    In one of the google docs they were talking about how the player could use the warpers technology to also warp can't remember which one though ):

So maybe it will be an end game biome that we could get to using said technology?

maybe the tranfuser?

I liked thinking that the Warper could have been a way of getting to the Arctic; either by following them through a portal or the possibility of harnessing their warping ability somehow.
    That way, the Arctic wouldn't need to be placed directly adjacent to any of the existing biomes, and also be considered a late-game challenge in a different way than the current deep sea ones do. Instead of depth being the gate keeping you out of it, it's needing to wrestle with Warpers.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Karuu wrote: »

I did see a map of that, but last time I checked in person, there was nothing there.
    I have also yet to see a screenshot, or information on the wiki about this supposed Arctic biome south of the Aurora.

My guess is that it's not implemented yet, but will be around there when it is?

It's there, pay attention to how the sand turns completely white, it's a different white from the sand in unmarked areas.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    I suggested that a biome like that should be accessible via Warper powers in one of my posts.