What one of Aurora crew are we?

Comments

• subnautica4lifesubnautica4life united states Join Date: 2015-07-11 Member: 206106Members
    Honestly the only reason i think the player is an engineer is because he is resourceful, he is able to sustain bases, and able to build ships, But then again it tells you exactly how to make them so i don't really know but i'm sticking with the engineering team.
  • subnautica4lifesubnautica4life united states Join Date: 2015-07-11 Member: 206106Members
    edited March 2016
    Quoted the wrong person.
    edited March 2016
    Merandix wrote: »
    Judging by the need to scan everything, I'd go with biologist, or at least general scientist.

Well technically the player isn't inputting the information (at least i don't think so) It's the scanner inputting the information after the player scannes something with said scanner.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Merandix wrote: »
    Judging by the need to scan everything, I'd go with biologist, or at least general scientist.

Well technically the player isn't inputting the information (at least i don't think so) It's the scanner inputting the information after the player scannes something with said scanner.

SO I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I think I am going to update my pick. I see us a member of the command team if not the Captain.
    I think Rainstorm is the only one of us to get it right. Just my 2 cents.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I'm surprised there are passengers on board a ship on a terraforming mission. That seems peculiar enough to make me think we might be one.

In terms of who would most likely be shoved in a lifepod first and make it to safety when everyone else doesn't, passenger also leaps out.

From a gameplay and story perspective, not making us crew makes us more helpless / clueless. More reliant on salvaging tech rather than just fixing or building things we need from salvaged components ourselves.
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    Support staff.

Subnautica is secretly Space Quest VII.

Look how clean the floors in all our bases are.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    f06e492a052de0de5933129bb882a14801a12d535771b57bcb6828b79963ea0a.jpg
    I've been saying this for a while. The protagonist in Subnautica is the janitor!

(So was Kurt in MDK.)
  • Vorgon_JealtzVorgon_Jealtz Join Date: 2015-12-25 Member: 210320Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Actually I just got a message on the Communications Relay from the second in command saying that the captain is dead. So I'm certain we're not the captain

I meant that we might be somewhere in the chain of command, not necessarily the captain. We could be a higher/lower officer

Just because Second Officer Keen thinks the captain is dead, doesn't necessarily mean the captain is actually dead. If you had gotten in an airplane crash, and there was no pilot alive near you, but also no body, generally you would assume the captain is dead. In this situation, there are lifepods, but seeing as Officer Keen doesn't recognize that there is only one surviving lifepod (otherwise he would likely address the player directly in some way, rather than speak to the whole crew) he is either getting a faulty signal, and assumes the captain is dead due to the lack of a reply broadcast, or simply can't get a readout on the number of lifepods. We can't completely rule out that the player is the captain for sure, but we can't jump to that conclusion either.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Since we appear to have no capability to do anything without the fabricators help, I can only imagine that we are a particularly inept civilian. We can't cook, so were not support crew (which usually means things like cooks or janitors), we can't so much as boil water without the fabricators help, so not an engineer, which also make command team unlikely.

Alternatively super replicator powers might have made people get quite decadent...
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Does Janitor count to support? Because this guy needs even blueprints for tables, chairs and beds. Can`t be engineer due to that.
  • ColdSpyderColdSpyder AZ Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217767Members
    We are probably some nobody who just got drafted for this mission out of nowhere. While a nobody, we have this peculiar skill set and a knack for being on the kind side of coincidence, resulting in us making it to an escape pod and crash landing.
    As the days go by we realize we have holes in our memory...
    ...Then later on we realize we were once a powerful jedi who turned their back on the order to go to war and end the suffering of innocents!
    Only to realize that we were captured by the order and had our memories taken from us by them!

Oops wrong game.
  • GhoreGhore DE, USA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216642Members
    I sometimes like to imagine I'm playing as some janitor that was on the Aurora and is very angry about their new free "vacation".
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Voted engineering because the protagonist seems to be a resourceful person.

Absolutely!
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    edited June 2016
    Previous case studies indicate seven out of twelve computer game adventurers trapped alone on an alien planet only able to escape by rubbing random items together are Roger Wilco, an inexplicably not yet famous space janitor.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    My assumption has always been that my character is one of the supercargo (passengers).

The ship's mission was to set up a phase gate, not terraform the planet (as of build 33510, Jun 2016). From the PDA entries we discover in play, it seems that at least one person aboard the Aurora had a secondary mission of searching for the Degasi's survivors, a fact which does not appear to have been common knowledge among the general crew.

From a strictly narrative point of view, the player as a passenger offers more story options - why you were aboard the Aurora, and why you weren't in on all of the mission details.

There are some other little things that make me think my character was a passenger, rather than a crewman:
    -Second Officer Keen broadcast from the Aurora, giving information from the ship's main computer and scanners. This leads me to believe that some of the crew remained aboard the Aurora during the crash, rather than abandoning ship. I would expect that the Command Staff would be the ones that remained aboard and tried to save it, while ordering everyone else to abandon ship.
    -at least one of the ship's Engineering crew (Aurora Senior Engineer Lafette) was able to broadcast from a lifepod, not merely receive messages. I can't do that, so either I don't have the command codes to make it happen, or I'm not a trained engineer.
    -I am unable to make any modifications (at all) to issued equipment or scanned blueprints, something that any member of a scientific/engineering team should be able to do.
    -exploring the various wrecks, I often find common doors or panels that are clearly marked 'Locked' but I have no access codes - something a typical crewman would know by heart, or the computer would already have my access privileges encoded.
    -my PDA, which is intelligent enough to try and determine what wrecked the Aurora (analyzing damage to the drive core, the breach, the black boxes, etc) never refers to me by any rank, never reminds me of company regulations, my duty as an officer, or anything else that might be required of a crewman. It treats me like a civilian (and it appears to have a low opinion of me, too).
    -my character did not hesitate to launch the lifepod as soon as he was aboard, not even for a moment. He was either panicked (not typical of trained ship crew), or he knew that nobody was following him to that specific lifepod. This suggests he had no duty station with other crew/team, or he was alone when the order to abandon ship was given - something more likely for a passenger than a team member.

I realize that the incoming messages you receive on the Comm Relay are seriously out of order chronologically, but taken as a whole I get the impression that there is a third party on planet - hostile to the Aurora's compliment and the Degasi's crew, and probably non-human. Some of the messages seem to imply this unknown group is hunting the survivors (not 'searching for'), and that my character may not have been accounted for originally ('nine designated' message), but is now ('one new target' message).

So...all in all, I think my character was a passenger aboard the Aurora - maybe one that is not accounted for in the ship's normal mission log. Maybe a stowaway, but probably not since he has a custom fitted survival suit and had an assigned lifepod (nobody else showed up for his seat on the bus). A more probable theory is that he is an observer of some kind - someone with corporate or political connections, maybe a journalist - who is supposed to stay out of the day to day operations and is deliberately ignored by the rest of the crew. "Just pretend I'm not here with the camera folks" or "He's from Corporate, some kind of observer - the Captain said don't speak to him or even acknowledge he's watching you work." After the crash, when someone examines the ship's records (or interrogates prisoners), they'd come up with a number that is one short of the bodies/survivors they have counted.

That's my working theory, anyway.
  • TijnnultienTijnnultien netherlands Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207447Members
    it can't be a person in the command team because they need to leave the ship as last
    it can't be a person in the command team because they need to leave the ship as last

Maybe our guy was the last person to leave. It's not detailed whether there were any people left onboard when it blew.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    It didn't blow up though. It crashed more or less intact, and two days later it suffered a (suspicious) core breach and blew the front of the ship off, causing a radiation zone. We do see some explosions as the life pod leaves the ship, presumably in the upper atmosphere (turbulence/shock wave effect).
    There was a huge explosion seconds after our guy departed. Big enough to wreck the pod as it fell.
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    I thought of 'passenger' because the only equipment on him is...well, the diving suit. Which every person (if anyone) on that ship would get. But, the passengers would be restricted to that and that only. Who knows? Maybe this guy we play as didn't have enough clearance to get to the life pod.. Maybe, in the start.. he's running away from guards, and just manages to slip into the pod.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    To me a support crew is like a back up in case anything goes wrong. So that would explain our apparent building and farming skills, the player might have been a backup engineer, and our strange ability to keep calm even though there are murderous plants and animals and not to mention the fact that everything natural is working against you and your alone, that could show some form of commander rank. To further show off the backup engineer idea, we are incredibly good at mending things and successfully setting up nuclear reactors.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I really want the protagonist to be the janitor - anyone ever play Space Quest?

Roger Wilco was the first game hero I actually fell in love with..

Every year I dust off my 286, 386 pcs etc etc and play them 1 after another!
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members

NIEN, NO NECROPOSTING
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

NIEN, NO NECROPOSTING

Calm your melons, it seems like the thread was revived...

I'm gonna go for dr. Jan Itor
  • lonelywolflonelywolf Sweden Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204737Members
    engineer becuase of we can use all the tools without any problems, is my guess.
    offtopic question, will we ever be able too see a living sea dragon?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    THE ONE THAT LIVED.

(and got back to civilization to tell the tale)
    B)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Janitor. Fifth class. Apprentice.