Seaglide Power

Comments

• DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
    Wow, a bit harsh, don't you think? Lol. If 1% per second seems fine with you, then whatever

Seaglide has doubled its Energy hunger. But for this you never ever have to search for Copper, nor to build any Batterys if you have 6 - 8 of them again.

And you can lower the hunger of the Seaglide with the Charge Fins.
    That looks like a pretty awesome trade for me, and realy nothing to complain any Words about it.

What you want? Unlimited Batterys that never ends up?
    Batterys that last a Week before you need to recharge them for free, in your Charge Station, and Batterys that Stack in the Inventory to use up only 1 Field?

Im realy suprised what some People are complaining about.
    They only see the double Energy hunger of the Seaglide, but don´t see, that they have not to grind anything for using it anymore, if they get their 6- 8 Batteries and a Charge Station.

For me the Energy usage and managing of the Seaglide is realy easy. When i use it combined with Seamoth i have 2 Batteys with me, when without Seamoth i have 4 Batterys with me, and always 4 Charging in Base, but 99% of time i don´t need the Seaglide when in my Seamoth.

This Update is the very easy Mode to run all your Stuff with enough energy for minimal effort, and People still complain for to much effort to run their Stuff.
    hrhrhr.
    How did you ever master your Real Lifes People? :)

BTW. The Update is Awesome ;)

Real life? Wow, this thread got crazy. PLEASE mate, let ME worry 'bout my real life. AND LET ME COMPLAIN how I want and about what I want. I paid for the game as all of you and this is a public forum. Just drop all the hate, everybody has different opinions, that makes as HUMANS. I just stated MY opinion on the seaglide, nothing more. They can make it so it's even more hungry and I'll just put it in a locker and unlock 12 slots in my inventory, I don't care.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    @LobsterPhone really? Going to the Aurora with the Seaglide?
    Ever thought of that the Seaglide might be made for short exploration and not long runs and that`s why the devs might`ve put up its energy consumption? Even before this update I never went there with the Seaglide, always thinking "nah, takes to much power and to dangerous"

With the Seaglide you can easily reach any resource you need to gather to build your Seamoth and escape sandsharks and stalkers.
    Once I have the Seamoth I even rarely take the glide with me anymore. Like coldspyder said, consider it more as a short exploration tool.
    Yeah, that's true. But I kinda like swimming with the Seaglide. I mean, it is there so why not use it :) There are some other stuff that I rarely use, like the guns, the Terraformer etc. But I've always enjoyed bursting through the water and run from dangers with the SeaGlide, dunno why :))
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Once I have the Seamoth I even rarely take the glide with me anymore.

This. The seaglide becomes obsolete as a method of travel pretty quickly.

Also, a little tidbit I discovered - batteries used for recipes do NOT have to be charged - you can turn 2 dead batts into a powercell, or use one to create a tool - and if you DO create a tool, the battery in it will be at 100%. So if you create, say, a flashlight, you can then remove the battery from it and use that battery to power something else. Or even to create ANOTHER tool.
  • AdmiralPainAdmiralPain Germany Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215206Members
    DannyR
    Just drop all the hate, everybody has different opinions, that makes as HUMANS.I just stated MY opinion on the seaglide, nothing more.
    Wow, you can find any hate in my Words?
    Amazing Voodoo Skills :)

Sorry that my Words have touched you on a Point.

DannyR
    Just drop all the hate, everybody has different opinions, that makes as HUMANS.I just stated MY opinion on the seaglide, nothing more.

Hehe no problem. Sorry for the rage, the real life comparison got me excited a bit :))
    Hehe no problem. Sorry for the rage, the real life comparison got me excited a bit :))
    No Problem.
    I think, finaly we all love the Game ;)
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited June 2016
    DannyR

I definitely see a smug attitude.

And I'll field the question you asked him in your first post:

People who have "mastered" their real lives usually don't want to do the exact same thing when they relax. Anyone who acually works hard will tell you that in a heartbeat.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited June 2016
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    People who have "mastered" their real lives usually don't want to do the exact same thing when they relax. Anyone who acually works hard will tell you that in a heartbeat.

Well I imagine you're right in that I most people won't want to "the exact same thing" when they relax, otherwise they wouldn't be relaxing, but I don't see adding increased level of realism to a game to be an impediment to it being a relaxing experience.

To the contrary, I love the many little bits of realism they've added to this game. Want to change the battery in your submersible? No simple clicking anywhere on the sub here, you actually have to go to the battery compartment and click on that. Want to access the storage compartment on your Seamoth, well it's attached to the hull, so you'll have to go outside your sub to get to it. Want to carry some food with you for your journey? Well you'd better cure it otherwise it'll spoil.

Not everything can be made hyper-realistic of course and the things I've mentioned may only be small and often unnoticed by many, but they all add to the realism (and therefore immersion) in ways that many other games don't bother with.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited June 2016
    Oculus wrote: »
    In the current experimental build on creative mode i saw an upgrade for the battery to a lithium battery that doubles its capacity. I hope this will come to all modes and will then be able to close this gap.

I had completely forgotten about the lithium ion battery upgrade. That seals the deal on this change to me, because it makes the seaglide much more of a growing tool, keeping in mind the powerglide too.
    RobRossTheBoss
    That is the Point.
    Because im working hard, i can´t understand why there are complains about the Energy Usage of the Seaglide, when you have not to do anything but switching your Batterys for running it a Lifetime now.
    Energy managing is now easy Mode, more easy and less Effort than it ever was, and People still not happy about all the work (switching Batterys) they have to do now, to run a Seaglide for ever and ever ever. Energy is complete free now.
    You only have to grind some Batterys and a Recharge Station, thats all Effort you have to do now.

So why is switching the Batterys to much Work, specialy for hard working People, to get your unlimited Energy that means to have no more Grinds for a Lifetime in exchange ?

I realy can´t understand that. I try, but i realy can not . ;)
    I don't get what you don't understand. It's all about the autonomy, not the fact that the batteries recharge now.
    Concrete example: I find myself with a Reaper in front of me. I equip the SeaGlide. 20% battery. Oh, ok, this should give me the time to escape. In 10 meters: oh no, my battery is out. Press R, scroll down and find a charged battery and exchange it. I should be dead by now :)) And that is the first example that I could think of. Add the fact that you need to use the Charging Fins now, which are PAINFULLY slow and the extra 3-4 slots occupied by batteries, and the picture is not that nice all of a sudden :) But of course you wouldn't agree and I don't mind. As I said before, I got used to this, I am not complaining, but it renders the Seaglide useless. If the Lithium-Ion batteries are coming, then I can understand the change. Anyways, we can talk for 20 hours, everybody has his opinion, and that is normal.
    DannyR
    As I said before, I got used to this, I am not complaining, but it renders the Seaglide useless.
    I have grinded my Seamoth after a new Game Start in less than 1,5 Hours from the beginning, all with the Seaglide. So for me it was not that useless.
    But i have build a recharge Station right after the SeaGlide very early, lucky found the Parts very fast. So it was realy easy going.
    And later you realy don´t need always 4 Batterys i think. With 4 Batterys you can go from Pod to Island and back i think. ;)
    Anyways, we can talk for 20 hours, everybody has his opinion, and that is normal.
    Your right, hihi ;)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I think its mostly that the change was a complete surprise and we were used to being able to go so far without worrying about it more than anything. Humans do resist change to a degree after all ;) I think its a fair trade overall, the battery charger wasn't that much of a challenge to get for me. Power cell charger was a little harder, the sparse reef creeps me out, lol.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that is new player logic, or at least common new player logic. I knew about fixing the leak, but in no way did I on my first playthrough feel any push to go there.

I might be derpy, but I'm on my third run through and never realized the leak was fixable... >.> I haven't really explored the aurora yet either, just focused on gathering the necessary tools and exploring, like you said.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    edited June 2016
    So the only actual new player story we have is of a new player who chooses flat out NOT TO USE THE SEAGLIDE AT ALL.

That would suggest to me that something is wrong with the sea glide balance.

Also, lithium batteries are all very well, but do not cover the early game period before battery rechargers, bases, and yes, seamoths.

So, for those who claim the sea glide is fine.

Try this.

Start a new survival game.

Get your seaglide basically first thing almost coincidentally while getting your basic tool kit together like you should considering it's fragment locations.

Typical new player resource gathering runs would generally be "fill inventory with useful looking stuff and return" or "Poke around exploring that interesting thing you saw over there... and fill your inventory with useful looking stuff and return".

Do that. With the sea glide. No battery charger yet. No lithium yet.

How many batteries do you go through? Is it acceptable. Don't just speculate, go do the test, see how it actually feels in play, it's what early access is for.

Let's not forget no Charging Fins :D
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited June 2016
    So the only actual new player story we have is of a new player who chooses flat out NOT TO USE THE SEAGLIDE AT ALL.

Also, lithium batteries are all very well, but do not cover the early game period before battery rechargers, bases, and yes, seamoths.

Try this.

Get your seaglide basically first thing almost coincidentally while getting your basic tool kit together like you should considering it's fragment locations.

Typical new player resource gathering runs would generally be "fill inventory with useful looking stuff and return" or "Poke around exploring that interesting thing you saw over there... and fill your inventory with useful looking stuff and return".

How many batteries do you go through? Is it acceptable. Don't just speculate, go do the test, see how it actually feels in play, it's what early access is for.

Well, nice try. BUT, at least in my game one of the first blueprints I found were the battery recharger solar panels and seaglide. So I began building my base, got the other bp for the recharger and done. No more power issues.

So if they`re not gonna change that those bps are found fast, there`s no problem running around with the glide quite a lot if you don`t wanna go for the seamoth (yet).
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    Well, nice try. BUT, at least in my game one of the first blueprints I found were the battery recharger solar panels and seaglide. So I began building my base, got the other bp for the recharger and done. No more power issues.
    Whoops, ironic of you to open with "nice try" language. Because sad to say fragment distribution somewhat directs us to understand when and where players, especially new players, get what blueprints. And sorry, battery chargers fall into AT LEAST the third or fourth biomes that new players might be exploring, maybe even later than that if they aren't wiki surfing or looking at an online map.

Seaglide fragments are in safe shallows. Along with solar panels. Kelp forests are the next place new players WILL go thanks to proximity and fairly open component requirement motivations... and battery chargers are not there either. For that matter the biomes which DO have battery charger fragments are (for someone with only a sea glide that eats batteries that fast) some combination of at least 2 of, distant, deep, and dangerous. If you have poor luck on the grassy plateaus and end up heading out to the mushroom forests (which are what? nearly as far as the aurora?) for it you are going to eat a LOT of batteries getting those fragments.

Now this might all change with the progression effects once the story kicks in. But right now there IS a notable, and seemingly explicitly intentional, early game phase with no battery charger and where your primary mobility enhancers are the basic flippers and the sea glide. If you never use the sea glide in that phase because it is too battery hungry that is bad design.

edited June 2016
    They are near, maybe you didn`t look good enough. They`re not in the creepvines forests that`s right. But they are definitly around the escape pod.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I've never played a survival game before subnautica. I honestly came here for pretty fish, at first, so I was the most noobish noob that can possibly be. And my first save was actually a survival one, LONG before the chargers were introduced. And guess what? I hardly ever used the seaglide, even though it was not limited by power consumption like it is now. I had my super duper fins, I had unobstructed view of all the pretty things around, including them reapers, I never felt the need to speed up my swimming anymore. Heck, when I got seamoth I was almost disappointed, because the whole world had suddenly shrunk, significantly. My point is - seaglide is not essential for successful and effective gameplay. It's a fancy toy that probably wasn't designed or meant for extensive use. And as such, I'd say it's working as intended right now.
    LobsterPhone

Try this.

Just as i said, i have started a new Game, and i have had not a positioning or Idea of the Place the Chargers at, cause i dont want to know such things, because i want to explore, and find new things all by myself.
    Exploration and finding new things, new Terrain Changes and such things is a huge Part of the Game Fun and Experience for me.

Well, i have had a small Base, Seaglide and then Battery Chargers in about an Hour of Play Time, and half an Hour later i have had my new Seamoth (okay, the Seamoth Fragments i was knowing where they are from early Games played, but i think, there are way more of them now, and they are easier to find at all ) , but the new Battery Chargers i found very early just by collecting Stuff, and the Fragments suddenly have been there. I think 10 Minutes after i have Build the Seaglide?

After all it was realy easy, and i have had not any Seaglide Energy Issues after only a Hour of starting a new Game. I spent about 4 Batterys on the Seaglide before i have had the Recharge Station and then unlimited Energy.
    That is a very very easy Mode to run the Seaglide ablosuteley for free for me now, and
    just as i said, there is minimal Effort to do soand to get very fast to this Point. ;)
    Thats the reason, im not understanding why the double energy usage should be any Problem.
    Not for experienced Players, and not for new Players.

May be, an unexperienced complete new Player need longer for this, but that is normal, and the way it should be.
    I think that new Players dont even have the Goal to get a Seaglide fast. I think the first Hours they watch the beautyful near Places and try to match thier hunger and thurst, try to build a Base, and find out the things, and where Stuff and Ressources are. ;)
    When i have started to play Subnautica i dont even was knowing what a Seaglide is, or what it is good for.
    I wanted to stay alive. My first Seaglide i have had after my first Seamoth back those days, and i have had very much fun to play Subnautica even from todays perspective longer way to get my Stuff.

So the doubled Energy usage of the Seaglide only seems to be a Problem for the experienced Players, even when they have unlimited Energy now and not to grind anything anymore after getting the recharge Station.
    And that is very anoying for me, cause for me the new Start with the Battery Chargers and the new Seaglide mechanics was way faster and way more easy then my last new Game Start. ;)

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

Try this.

Fair enough. Honestly, even with the old power hunger rate I was overly concerned about the battery issue given how quickly I felt I'd run out of copper. My solution was to use it sparingly, namely after being spotted by a stalker since the fins alone were not fast enough to get out of their bite range or if I'd gone too far down with too little air. It became an emergency use item in the very beginning, basically.

Is that what its intended for in the early stage? I don't really know, but its basically how I treat the seaglide while running the scenario you've given.
    It took me a battery to get to the aurora.

Then I did some light gathering on the way back and used 2 to get back to the pod.

Between early building and aurora supply crates I had seven batteries.

I already had solar panel blueprints, so I found a nice spot on the edge of the safe shallows and built the minimum base. 1 room, 1 solar panel, 1 fabricator.

The gathering and so on for that took 4 batteries. 5 after the single trip back to the pod to bring over whatever I had stuffed in it's inventory.

I had already passed through an area where battery charger fragments are found on the trip back from the aurora. I found one fragment there. It was not a battery charger fragment. I had already returned to this area after brushing against it while building the small base. I found more fragments then. But only 1 (of 3) charger fragments. And that one fragment was the FIFTH fragment I found in that area.

So that was seven dud batteries sitting in my new base by the time it was built. Nothing else I owned had used batteries up. Only the seaglide.

I had at some point grabbed an extra copper and made an eight battery. I took it on a trip explicitly to find battery charger fragments.

I found none. I ran out of battery. I was nearly killed by an (all too regular) attack by multiple aggressive predators, I was VERY lucky to find sea moth fragments, but not enough to finish it, and I was lucky to survive getting them since my sea glide battery was run out and the aggressive predators were, as they are around there, EVERYWHERE.

So I went and gathered 3 more batteries of supplies. A slower process since the easier sources were gone. I could have gathered one, and gathered the rest on sea glide, but if I used the sea glide to gather 3 batteries of resources... I would use one battery in the process.

I was lucky enough to complete my Seamoth fragments on the way back. And I already have the vehicle bay from earlier.

And so that's where I am at.

Minimum base. EIGHT dud batteries in inventory. 3 live ones... which are all going to have to go to power cell production (need another, or can you build power cells out of empty batteries?), only 1 of 3 fragments for the battery charger and I'm basically going to go seamoth and start burning power cells (and hopefully finding fragment rich deeper large wrecks I'd be nuts to waste sea glide levels of batteries on as is) BEFORE I ever see the battery charger.

Now on the one hand I'm ambivalent because I like the idea that sometimes your progression ends up a bit unpredictable.

On the other hand the sea glide is way too battery hungry I'd have been much happier at the original half rate. 4 dud batteries sitting in inventory right now would make me a LOT happier considering how many MORE I'm likely to produce before I get that battery charger (gathering resources for sea moth and vehicle bay, maybe a spare power cell, using sea glide on arrival at deep wrecks for speed/safety/oxygen/light, using laser cutter once I have it, etc...).

But most of all... again, I've been playing this a lot. I know where stuff is and how to do things quickly and efficiently, I know how to pull exploitative weaving dodges to avoid certain predators that are right on top of me while scanning fragments, I'm not a new player.

A new player at this point has made way less progress, is probably sitting on 10-20 dudded batteries (if they aren't throwing them out) and has probably given up on the sea glide period.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    I had 4 batteries by the time I had found the Seamoth fragments. Then I only need them much less. Granted, I am familiar with the game and kind of know what I am looking for.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I am what you'd call a heavy Seaglide user. In all my games its one of the first ''advanced'' thing i build and use it non-stop till i can make the seamoth, at which point i use it fairly less (mostly for wrecks exploration and when i go ressource gathering)

Do i burn thru bateries like mad? Holy baby jeezus YES lol but i dont mind making alot of batteries personally. In my latest game i had roughly 30 or so batteries by the time i found all the recharger BPs :smiley: A new player wont know where to find them BPs for it so it'll take longer than 30'ish minutes of gameplay to find those most likely

Right now theres this ''bug'' whereas you can combine 2 fully depleted batteries with a silicone to make a fully charged powercell so thats a use for depleted batteries (thats soon to get fixed im pretty sure tho hehe)

Early game, if you use the Seaglide you accept the fact you'll burn thru batteries like mad. Im pretty sure the Devs look out at these kind of threads and im sure they'll soon decide if they leave the seaglide power consumption like this or tweak it a weeee bit.
  • Bisley19Bisley19 United States Join Date: 2016-05-29 Member: 217695Members
    I don't know why everyone hates on the charge fins. I never use any other fins since I usually bring my prop cannon/stasis rifle everywhere I go. I'm probably gonna switch to the ultraglide fins when the update hits the xbox since I can just swap and charge batteries, but I've never felt that the speed is such a big compromise over never having to use batteries for any of my tools. I understand the seaglide argument, but since nothing else I use will need a new battery, I can just dump all my batteries into using the seaglide, and still come out on top as cost-effective. I guess I might be more patient in regards to character speed, but I feel like I'm the only one who appreciates always having the charge fins equipped.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I started a new game with the patch... spent plenty of time running around with the seaglide. Wasn't the end of the world to keep a bunch of batts handy, and the charging station wasn't hard to get.
    edited June 2016
    Well in the end having run out of batteries I just found it easier to flat out stop using the sea glide period while I built my vehicle bay and seamoth then just mothed around getting the battery charger bits (and basically everything else in the universe almost by accident in the process).

While, once I reached that point, it was hardly an impediment to play any more (by means of excluding it from play)... it still should have been the sea glide as primary transport phase until that moth was built. Increased speed, convenience and safety of the sorts of local resource gathering that build the moth and the bay are exactly what it's for, and being clearly motivated away from using the sea glide for one of it's primary roles during that time... still seems like a bad thing.
  • nitay1998nitay1998 Isreal Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213278Members
    http://diep.io you can see here that they will change that in the future!